Packers Training Camp 2019

packfanfb

Okay.  So here we have it.  Rodgers needs to play!!!  He needs the pre-season reps.  Practice reps don't count!!!

Then we have posts about how tackling needs to improve.

Uh....who do you think the defense is trying to hit on every play?  Do we want to risk Rodgers' health to a borderline guy on the other side going really hard to try to make the team?  

You can't have it both ways.

And this is an easy one.  Sit Rodgers.  Sit your "locks" and stars.  There is no need for them to line up across from guys who are trying to make a team and going all out in a meaningless game.  That's what our fringe players are there to do as well.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, vegas492 said:

Okay.  So here we have it.  Rodgers needs to play!!!  He needs the pre-season reps.  Practice reps don't count!!!

Of course it isn't that practice reps don't count (i guess you are exaggerating for tongue in cheek humour), but it isn't the same as a preseason game

2 hours ago, vegas492 said:

Uh....who do you think the defense is trying to hit on every play?  Do we want to risk Rodgers' health to a borderline guy on the other side going really hard to try to make the team?  

Yes we want to risk his health. Reps that are as close to a game that counts as you can get, are valuable. It bears repeating, this is no ordinary offseason. New scheme, playbook, new HC and position coaches, new(ish) young receivers. Quite aside from that, fans deserve to see at least a little on-field play from their heroes (not that I'm suggesting coaches factor that in). First team players, all first team players, need every rep they can get before the season starts. The first stringers aren't going to play a great deal anyway, but any reps in a game in preseason are important.

Edited by OneTwoSixFive

1 hour ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

Of course it isn't that practice reps don't count (i guess you are exaggerating for tongue in cheek humour), but it isn't the same as a preseason game

Yes we want to risk his health. Reps that are as close to a game that counts as you can get, are valuable. It bears repeating, this is no ordinary offseason. New scheme, playbook, new HC and position coaches, new(ish) young receivers. Quite aside from that, fans deserve to see at least a little on-field play from their heroes (not that I'm suggesting coaches factor that in). First team players, all first team players, need every rep they can get before the season starts. The first stringers aren't going to play a great deal anyway, but any reps in a game in preseason are important.

Rodgers has played how many years again?  

If you think 15-20 meaningless snaps in a meaningless game is going to make any difference to the product out on the field in week one well, then I fear that no one can help you.

Forget what fans think they deserve to see.  They deserve to see a pre-season football game.  A ticket guarantees us and them absolutely nothing.

Pre-season reps in games are not important.

Reps in practice are.  That is where most of the offense is being installed.  You think MLF is giving anything away?  I saw where a simple beat reporter was analyzing plays from last week and guestimating that he "saw" a glimpse of MLF's offense.  If a simple beat writer can get than, an average scout would be all over it.  I truly hope our head coach is smarter than that.

Forget what you see in the pre-season when it comes to gameplans and schemes.  The goal of the pre-season is to get young guys reps and see how they do in specific situations.

And again, I go back to this....you really want to expose Rodgers to players who are playing to the edge and beyond to make a squad?  Or...forget Rodgers, what if one of these guys rolls up an ankle on Bakh on a Rodgers scramble?  No matter how you spin it, playing your top guys in meaningless games in August is a poor idea.

If Rodgers plays, I hope he takes one snap, hands the ball off and just trots to the sideline...where he belongs in August.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

If you think 15-20 meaningless snaps in a meaningless game is going to make any difference to the product out on the field in week one well, then I fear that no one can help you.

They aren't meaningless, far from it, no help needed thank you.

First team guys should value reps almost as much as they low-end roster guys, and they fight for every. single. rep.

The difference is that first team guys should be working on gelling as a unit, while low-end roster guys are fighting to make the squad.

Andy Herman:

Drives w/ Kizer through 3 games: 66 plays - 218 yards - 3.3ypp - 10 points - 3 turnovers(2 downs) - 7 punts - 2 scoring drives

Drives w/ Boyle through 3 games: 83 plays - 488 yards - 5.9ypp - 45 points - 1 turnover - 8 punts - 7 scoring drives

5 hours ago, Leader said:

Andy Herman:

Drives w/ Kizer through 3 games: 66 plays - 218 yards - 3.3ypp - 10 points - 3 turnovers(2 downs) - 7 punts - 2 scoring drives

Drives w/ Boyle through 3 games: 83 plays - 488 yards - 5.9ypp - 45 points - 1 turnover - 8 punts - 7 scoring drives

Objectively Boyle played better. He had a lot of help from his receivers this game and floundered for 1&1/2 quarters. I’ll be curious to see who runs the 2s this coming week.

5 minutes ago, deathstar said:

Objectively Boyle played better. He had a lot of help from his receivers this game and floundered for 1&1/2 quarters. I’ll be curious to see who runs the 2s this coming week.

It was encouraging to see Boyle put together a fairly long stretch of quality play. Usually he is up-and-down within each series, just like Kizer. 

14 hours ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

They aren't meaningless, far from it, no help needed thank you.

First team guys should value reps almost as much as they low-end roster guys, and they fight for every. single. rep.

The difference is that first team guys should be working on gelling as a unit, while low-end roster guys are fighting to make the squad.

Even if they aren't completely meaningless they also aren't particularly meaningful and almost certainly not meaningful enough to risk the entire season over.  If the players aren't ready to go in week 1 it's not going to be because they missed 10 snaps against the texans lol.

50 minutes ago, deathstar said:

Objectively Boyle played better. He had a lot of help from his receivers this game and floundered for 1&1/2 quarters. 

Boyle was better than that.

He struggled his first two drives and was excellent after that. He was good for most of the first half, his first TD drive started in the 1st quarter. 

I don't see how he had a "lot of help" from the receivers. Boyle made good throws, the receivers caught the throws. Davis and Shep had nice catches, but nothing spectacular.

6 hours ago, Leader said:

Andy Herman:

Majority of this gap came from LaFleur tonight. He called the most predictable half of football I've ever seen. Think I counted 6 straight series he went run,run,pass to open the 2nd half. Think he wanted to get the hell out of Canada, but subjecting Kizer to that was dumb, just throw Wilkins out there and have him mop it up.

33 minutes ago, Stevein2012 said:

Even if they aren't completely meaningless they also aren't particularly meaningful and almost certainly not meaningful enough to risk the entire season over.  If the players aren't ready to go in week 1 it's not going to be because they missed 10 snaps against the texans lol.

Most coaches disagree with this point of view, as evidenced by the fact that most of them play their starters, including the star players (with the exception of running backs), at least a little bit in the preseason--and yes, it is more than "10 snaps." Obviously it is not make-or-break, but it seems like good practice to get the starters on the field together in live action before the real games start. In a league where there are not huge talent differences between most teams, you want every competitive advantage you can get. 

• Like 1

I was about to type a reply to those of the opposite opinion to me, like @vegas492 and @Stevein2012 when @Greg C. pre-empted me with what he said.

This is not a cut-and-dried argument, if it were that obvious, no coaches would play their no.1s in preseason, and many do. So comments like 'if you think that way no-one can help you'             ( @vegas492 ) are just baiting. I respect the opposite opinion to mine on this, I just don't agree with it, and have posted many reasons why I think the way I do. Maybe it is time to let this die, as it is difficult to prove definitively either way and becomes just an opinion where proponents of opposite sides marshall and post the things they feel support their case as justification.

By now, we are down to just re-stating what has been aired earlier.

28 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Majority of this gap came from LaFleur tonight. He called the most predictable half of football I've ever seen. Think I counted 6 straight series he went run,run,pass to open the 2nd half. Think he wanted to get the hell out of Canada, but subjecting Kizer to that was dumb, just throw Wilkins out there and have him mop it up.

Yeah, goods points.

Certainly not fair to judge Kizer on the play calling he had to run.