Packers Training Camp 2019

packfanfb

On 7/23/2019 at 3:26 PM, Cadmus said:

I saw Nick Perry today in GB doing sprints and some light field work. 

It definitely makes me wonder when/where he'll sign. 

From Perry's POV

Nick already lives in GB, so no need to move to a new city
Nick's ability to learn a new defense and assimilate onto a new team is getting more and more difficult with each passing day
GB/Pettine likley offers Nick the best chance to be successful in 2019 and re-launch his career ( he's 29)
Perry has the preferred size and body type for a Pettine OLB, and GB even tried him out as inside rusher a couple of times
Packers MDs know him, his body and his rehab better than any other staff

From the Packers POV

Nick won't command a big deal, likely just a 1 year contract.
Packers have some cap space to play with and the defense is still way behind the offense in positional spending
GB could bring him back after Reg Season week 1 -  that means GB wouldn't be on the hook for his entire 2019 salary ( injury protection)
That plan also "buys" GB a roster spot on cutdown day.
Donnerson's hold on jersey # 53 is tenuous at best after getting waived and put on IR
Packers know they are getting a quality human being, no turd concerns
A healthy Nick Perry is an upgrade over Reggie Gilbert at OLB5 abd adds another beefy bad *** for Pettine

Edited by Shanedorf

A torn pec is typically a season ending injury isn't it? Sucks for Burks. A highly athletic 233lbs coverage linebacker. The closest like for like replacement is probably Bolton at 228lbs. Josh Jones is 220lbs, Tray Matthews is 213lbs. Sheldon comes in at 231lbs and is also very athletic but i'm not sure whether he's a classic ILB or a coverage ILB.

As for Nick Perry....overly optimistic thinking but in reality he is done. Not a single NFL team has picked him up this offseason and that tells you all you need to know. 

Edited by Chili

40 minutes ago, Chili said:

A torn pec is typically a season ending injury isn't it? Sucks for Burks. A highly athletic 233lbs coverage linebacker. The closest like for like replacement is probably Bolton at 228lbs. Josh Jones is 220lbs, Tray Matthews is 213lbs. Sheldon comes in at 231lbs and is also very athletic but i'm not sure whether he's a classic ILB or a coverage ILB.

As for Nick Perry....overly optimistic thinking but in reality he is done. Not a single NFL team has picked him up this offseason and that tells you all you need to know. 

Raven Greene was playing there too in training camp

What do you guys think of this take on Josh Jones by Packersnews?

» Josh Jones has been the forgotten man of Packers training camp. The 2017 second-round pick has been buried on the depth chart in camp after he skipped all but the mandatory minicamp in the offseason and requested a trade because the Packers drafted Darnell Savage in the first round. Jones in fact appears to have slid down the safety depth chart in recent days. Raven Greene has been the No. 3 safety and also worked ahead of Jones all camp in the small nickel defense that deploys a safety at linebacker. Jones played that linebacker position a lot last season, and it appeared to be his best shot of getting on the field this year, but Greene has held the job all camp. And Jones appears to be falling behind several other players at safety. He was held out of Thursday night’s preseason opener because of an undisclosed injury, but he was in full pads practicing Saturday and ran with the third team. That left him playing behind starters Adrian Amos and Savage, as well as backups Greene, Will Redmond and Natrell Jamerson. Jones clearly is in the Packers’ doghouse after skipping almost all the offseason work and hasn’t worked back into their good graces in camp. It’s unclear whether they’re limiting his practice time (and held him out of the Houston game) to minimize the injury risk because they’re hoping to trade him, or if they’re simply unhappy with his play as camp has gone on. Either way, his chances of making the 53-man roster are looking shaky at this point.

Coupled with the fact Bolton played ahead of him with the ones today as Burks replacement. Is he officially on the roster bubble?

Speaking of linebacker/safety hybrids they are typically at least 6'2" and 220lbs. They need to be big enough to hold up against the run yet fast enough to cover TEs and slot receivers. They are becoming especially important with the increasing use of nickle and dime defences in the NFL. This is why we drafted Jones and Burks. I'm actually amazed that Greene is being used instead of Jones in this role. According to the official team player profile he's only 5' 11" and weighs just 197lbs! I can't believe for one second he is being used in linebacker type roles. Are the beat writers misunderstanding what they're seeing of his role on the field? They just see Jones out - Greene in without fully understanding the scheme and their roles?

I understand that in nickle defence the hybrid plays as a in-box safety which would make sense for Greene to be on the field. However in base defence the hybrid plays as a linebacker so Greene would have to come off the field. The advantage of Oren Burks was we didn't need to switch him out whenever we switch between Nickle and Base.  He makes our defence a little unpredictable as quarterbacks will not always know what his role is on any given play. Josh Jones was meant to offer that same element too. Greene on the other hand makes our defence predictable because when he's on the field you know it's nickle defence.

Losing Burks is not good news and if we do cut/trade Jones then that really screws up our nickle defence. Bolton is going to be key if that happens. Sheldon has the size and athleticism but i'm not sure he has the agility and coverage skills to deal with TEs and Slot Receivers. Watching him against the Texans he felt like a traditional ILB to me. Tray Matthews could be an alternative option but I don't know what he's like really. Ibrahiem Campbell has the same issue as Greene, a little heavier but still very undersized. I don't think it's a coincidence we brought him back due to the uncertainty over Josh Jones.

Burks injury may force us to cancel any potential trade currently in the works for Jones and instead try everything we can to see if he can replace Burks. Josh Jones unwillingless to play linebacker may prove to be a problem though.