Packers Training Camp 2019

packfanfb

7 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

We've still only got two starting caliber Tackles. The inside looks fine, but that's always the easy part of this thing. 

I know you're correct, but I have to say the body is really coming along for Light. There may actually be a player there long-term if he can keep chipping away at this thing.  Well, that's my hope anyway, I'll be honest I've never actually watched him on film so this is more based off third party perception.

7 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

We've still only got two starting caliber Tackles. The inside looks fine, but that's always the easy part of this thing. 

Are you a glass half empty kind of a guy? I feel like you're a bit of a pessimist at times when it comes to this roster. I understand if you are as it's easier to assume the worst then it is to be let down.  However, I think from the little we've seen from Gutey so far he's really doing a good job of providing us the best 53 man roster he can and he's not shying away with the big bodies.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nick_gb said:

Are you a glass half empty kind of a guy? I feel like you're a bit of a pessimist at times when it comes to this roster. I understand if you are as it's easier to assume the worst then it is to be let down.  However, I think from the little we've seen from Gutey so far he's really doing a good job of providing us the best 53 man roster he can and he's not shying away with the big bodies.  

He probably expects Bulaga to get hurt bad and early. Not a huge reach there, but still. I currently don't have any confidence in Light to be more than a spot starter. He'll I'm being optimistic that he'll be a capable backup who can spot start for a game or two.

Edited by HyponGrey

3 hours ago, HyponGrey said:

He probably expects Bulaga to get hurt bad and early. Not a huge reach there, but still. I currently don't have any confidence in Light to be more than a spot starter. He'll I'm being optimistic that he'll be a capable backup who can spot start for a game or two.

Which team does have backup OT’s who are starting caliber?

5 hours ago, Nick_gb said:

I try and look at the most likely potential outcome. In the NFL, that tends to be guys failing more often than not.

I'm as pro-Bulaga's health as anybody on this site. I just would like to have a real developmental Tackle on the roster right now to be learning behind Bulaga so he can step in next year.

1 hour ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I try and look at the most likely potential outcome. In the NFL, that tends to be guys failing more often than not. I'm as pro-Bulaga's health as anybody on this site. I just would like to have a real developmental Tackle on the roster right now to be learning behind Bulaga so he can step in next year.

You dont see that guy (or guys) on the roster.....or radar....now?

2 minutes ago, Leader said:

You dont see that guy (or guys) on the roster.....or radar....now?

Do you?

I don't think Alex Light is that guy. My big fear long term is that the team is going to decide that, "Well we want to be a running team, and Billy Turner is a really good athlete, so we're going to pencil him in there"

Just now, AlexGreen#20 said:

Do you?  I don't think Alex Light is that guy. My big fear long term is that the team is going to decide that, "Well we want to be a running team, and Billy Turner is a really good athlete, so we're going to pencil him in there"

You're the OL expert in this discussion.....so I posed the question to you. 

1 minute ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Do you?

I don't think Alex Light is that guy. My big fear long term is that the team is going to decide that, "Well we want to be a running team, and Billy Turner is a really good athlete, so we're going to pencil him in there"

Thought we had him in Spriggs.  He just didn't progress as fast or as much for a 2nd round pick as the coaching staff wanted or anticipated.   

1 minute ago, coachbuns said:

Thought we had him in Spriggs.  He just didn't progress as fast or as much for a 2nd round pick as the coaching staff wanted or anticipated.   

I blame a big part of that on the coaching staff. No reason Spriggs shouldn't have been playing every snap that Bulaga wasn't desperately needed, both in an attempt to save Bulaga's knees and to get Spriggs the reps. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I blame a big part of that on the coaching staff. No reason Spriggs shouldn't have been playing every snap that Bulaga wasn't desperately needed, both in an attempt to save Bulaga's knees and to get Spriggs the reps. 

Agree.  Coaching staff overall the past couple of years dropped the ball in a number of areas.  However, being a 2nd round pick with a number of years experience, he should have been able to show enough to still be on the roster.  That in itself has been discussed elsewhere with varying results.