Packers Training Camp 2019

packfanfb

5 minutes ago, MrBobGray said:

I love that, but I also love that 4.35 closing speed on a guy who makes instant decisions.  Sure sometimes those decisions are wrong, but by god does he get to the wrong place fast.  Until we get into regular season, it's hard to tell if he's made the strides to be a starter because teams aren't focusing on him yet, but his man mirroring skills look to be even better and there's just not much of a ceiling on a guy with that athletic profile.

He's not afraid of contact - at all!  He'll put a good thumping on ya and definitely let you know he's there after the fact (which has sometimes gotten him into trouble).  I want that kind of physical play from our corners, and a little moxy doesn't hurt either (see Alexander)!

6 hours ago, FinneasGage said:

we need a tony brown thread tbh. this is from last month but somehow i forgot he was doing these videos. 

Anyone know who his workout buddy is?

Tony Brown is easy to like. This little peek into his personality shows how he drives himself to work hard and get better, but you can also see how his unrestrained nature can lead to some of the issues he has had on the field. It would be sweet to see him enjoy some real success this season. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Uffdaswede said:

Anyone know who his workout buddy is?

Tony Brown is easy to like. This little peek into his personality shows how he drives himself to work hard and get better, but you can also see how his unrestrained nature can lead to some of the issues he has had on the field. It would be sweet to see him enjoy some real success this season. 

If he could train his unrestrained nature to celebrate a big hit in different ways, like say, turn away from the guy he just smashed, walk a few steps away from the guy, then go nuts - I'm sure it would save the team a few unnecessary penalties.  But I sure like guy and his love of the game!

34 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

If he could train his unrestrained nature to celebrate a big hit in different ways, like say, turn away from the guy he just smashed, walk a few steps away from the guy, then go nuts - I'm sure it would save the team a few unnecessary penalties.  But I sure like guy and his love of the game!

That on the field crap needs to stop.  It's borderline Ahmad Carrol bad.  He gets rid of that stuff and I think he has a real chance to make it big.  

Just a bit bored tonight. I've realised I knew next to nothing about special teams because nobody ever talks about it in depth the same way we do for offence and defence.

I did a bit of research. To start with I knew there were four special team units but what are they called? I didn't get a clear answer but I did find this:

• The group of players that handles punts, kickoffs, and punt returns
  • The unit that handles field goal and extra point attempts
  • The group that takes care of kickoff returns
  • The unit that attempts to block field goal and extra point attempts

For the punt team it is laid out like this:

283934.image0.jpg

• X: The center (or snapper); stands over the ball
  • PP: The punter’s personal protector
  • P: The punter
  • W: The wings
  • E: The ends, on the line of scrimmage about 10 to 12 yards away from the wings

https://www.dummies.com/sports/football/special-teams/football-special-teams-players-on-a-punt-team/

Kickoff Team:

283923.image0.jpg

Apart from the kicker everybody must be strong and quick. So lots of WR/CB/S/RB for speed and FB/TE/LB for the physical stuff. 

https://www.dummies.com/sports/football/special-teams/the-start-of-a-football-game-the-kickoff/

Kickoff return team:

This figure shows a common kickoff return strategy involving a blocking wedge called the Trap 3 Right.

283927.image0.jpg

Here’s the setup for this strategy:

• Five blockers, listed as tackle (T), guard (G), and center (the X in the rectangle), slightly inside the 45-yard line.
  • Four other blockers (A, B, C, and D) deeper, aligned between their own 25- and 30-yard lines.

After the ball is kicked, the players take the following actions:

• C and D retreat to a position 10 yards in front of R2, a receiver, who has the ball near the right hash. (V marks the receiving spot.)
  • R1, also a receiver but on the left hash, runs faster, positioning himself with C and D to form a blocking wedge.
  • B runs horizontally and blocks kick coverage man 3.
  • Blocker A retreats in order to prevent any cover man from breaking through and tackling R2.
  • R2 has the option of running ahead or cutting back to his left. R2 must find his own running lane if one doesn’t materialize between C and D.

https://www.dummies.com/sports/football/special-teams/how-a-team-returns-the-kickoff-in-a-football-game/

The BLOCKING field goals and PAT team:

283931.image0.jpg

• RT must align on the inside shoulder of the guard opposite him.
  • N lines up directly across from the center.
  • LT aligns on the inside shoulder of the guard opposite him.

https://www.dummies.com/sports/football/special-teams/football-special-teams-how-to-block-field-goals-and-pats/

Unfortunately can't find any graphics about punt return units, and Kick & PAT units.

More reading material:

The role of special teams: https://www.dummies.com/sports/football/special-teams/the-role-of-special-teams-in-a-football-game/

Making punt returns: https://www.dummies.com/sports/football/special-teams/football-special-teams-how-to-return-a-punt/

Field goals & punts: https://www.dummies.com/sports/football/special-teams/football-special-teams-field-goals-and-pats/

In terms of the 53 man roster. You got 46 game day actives. So 22 starters on offence and defence, 3 K/P/LS, 1 backup QB. That's 26 in total leaving 20 ST. This will be made up of speedsters, physically big and strong players and some linesmen for blocking at the line of scrimmage.

Of those 20 players you need:

4 x Gunners (I understand that they need to be rotated as they cannot do every single snap) - Davis, Anime, Holman, Brown

1 or 2 x Kick/Punt returner(s) - Davis and/or Shepherd

4 x Linesmen (backup OL and DL) - Madison, Light, Keke, Adams

1 x Punt Personal Protector - Vitale (I think)

~10 x Mix of big, fast, strong guys - TE/LB/S/CB/WR/RB/FB - Tonyan, Gary, Fackrell, Crawford, Summers, Bolton, Greene, Kumerow, Allison, J'Williams

I'm going to bed shortly so won't be staying up to watch the Raven game. I would be very interested to know who started on our no.1 ST units. Might give us greater clarity regarding bottom of the roster players.

• Like 5