Packers Training Camp 2019

packfanfb

A Question. A hypothetical question.

Because of injury at the position, Josh McCoun just came out of retirement to be the backup at Philly.

Question - would you have preferred (or entertained the thought in a purely hypothetical world.....) to have brought him on at Green Bay instead of Kizer for a year - then do whatever next offseason?

Ask me - McCoun is the very definition of a "game manager" at this stage of his career. Would you feel safer going in to this season if he were the backup instead of Kizer.

It's an honest question - but please refrain from the irrational Kizer hate diatribes.

Me? I'm down with Kizer.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Leader said:

Because of injury at the position, Josh McCoun just came out of retirement to be the backup at Philly.

Question - would you have preferred (or entertained the thought in a purely hypothetical world.....) to have brought him on at Green Bay instead of Kizer for a year - then do whatever next offseason?

Ask me - McCoun is the very definition of a "game manager" at this stage of his career. Would you feel safer going in to this season if he were the backup instead of Kizer.

It's an honest question - but please refrain from the irrational Kizer hate diatribes.

Me? I'm down with Kizer.

My vote is for McCown. The last decent backup we had was Matt Flynn, who was that type of QB. 

6 hours ago, Leader said:

Me? I'm down with Kizer.

If you're talking about a journeyman with the arm strength to throw the deep stuff in the offense, then I'd think long and hard about it.  But I think Kizer's arm is better than McCown's.

15 hours ago, HyponGrey said:

Some colleges offer an entire course on it, so somebody somewhere does.

I had a whole HS course on it...

14 hours ago, Greg C. said:

My vote is for McCown. The last decent backup we had was Matt Flynn, who was that type of QB. 

McCown's off the table now, but I'm pretty sure a better option, like Brian Hoyer, will be cut.

15 hours ago, Leader said:

Me? I'm down with Kizer.

Depends how much you are spending ?

The team has very much sacrificed the offence to try and fix the defence - particularly in the draft but also elsewhere. If Rodgers goes down we probably have a very  bad offence regardless of who the backup. If Rodgers goes down for a season there's no real value in spending big on a backup to turn a 2 win season into a 4 win season. There's value in a strong backup if he goes down for say 4 weeks but even then there's a case of just try and design some gimmicky plays for Kizer and try and grab a win out of the four games. In reality even with a decent backup we could still easily go 0-4.

So for veteran minimum then I'd be happy to go with a vet and keep Kizer as a number 3.  Don't see the value in spending much more though.

Hear the comparisons with Flynn but the supporting cast of the offence around then was much stronger.