What Did You Cook for Dinner?

MKnight82

4 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I'm considering this for a new years resolution type deal. I eat reasonably healthy, and get plenty of vegetables, but it's a lot of chicken (thighs > breasts), shrimp, and fish. Not environmentally friendly at all.

At least I don't use **** tons of plastic.

Switch to deer and boar. Not only is it delicious, but you're actually helping the environment.

4 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

At least I don't use **** tons of plastic.

I'm on the reduce paper waste kick.
EX: junk mail.
We use energy and resources to chop down trees, process them using energy and chemicals into printable paper. Then we print junk mail on the paper and burn petroleum to deliver the printed paper to the post office; who in turn uses more petroleum to deliver the junk mail paper/catalogs/ads to our homes.
At which point I throw it into the recycle bin. Then a truck, burning more petroleum, comes by my house and picks up the recycled printed junk mail and takes it to a factory. Then they use more energy and chemicals again to re-process the previously printed paper into newly printed paper to ship it all back to me again

The published success rate for junk mail is 2.2 % response rate. Which means that 98 % all of the trees, processing, chemicals and petroleum used was a colossal waste of limited resources, while polluting the air for no real benefit. We really can't afford that

Try to get yer name/address off of as many mailing lists, catalog lists, ad lists as you possibly can. ( before the next Christmas deluge)

2 hours ago, 11sanchez11 said:

I made chimichurri once. It was gross. But I think there are a bunch of different ways to make it. Iirc I used red wine vinegar, which es no bueno. IMO

How'd you make it if you remember.

I use red wine vinegar, but you can use whatever vinegar you like.

i just followed a recipe online, they’re all pretty similar.

i have the best luck when I make it and let it sit in the fridge about 3-4 hours before eating it 

19 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

Try to get yer name/address off of as many mailing lists, catalog lists, ad lists as you possibly can. ( before the next Christmas deluge)

Would love to do that.  How do you do that?  Because i just moved, have signed up for nothing, and still get tons of junk mail to my current address with my name.  Pretty sure they're scraping the information from the county auditors site, and doesn't seem like there's a damn thing i can do about it.

32 minutes ago, theJ said:

How do you do that?

Yes, they pull it from the county list and new home owners are highly targeted. On some of the mail pieces and all of the catalogs, there's a phone # to call and take your name off going forward. A few you can just write: "Return to sender" and the post office will return it as "undeliverable" and they'll pull your name/address off the list
Others, you're right - there's nothing you can do about em. Especially the ones addressed to: "owner/resident"
It sucks but you can knock the volume down with a little effort

On ‎8‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 7:02 AM, ramssuperbowl99 said:

chicken (thighs > breasts)

I was late on this train, but this x1000.

Chicken Breast is way too fragile. Easy to undercook, easier to overcook. Even filleting and pounding won't fix the issue. Chicken Thigh on the other hand, user friendly. Lately, been pan frying for 4 minutes on each side, and finishing in the oven for 15. Adding a broth-white wine mix to the pan when I throw it in the oven. Fantastic weeknight dinner.

• Like 2

On ‎8‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 6:47 PM, theJ said:

That's not what is. But black bean burgers can be really delicious, if done right. They're not hamburgers, but great in their own right. 

Not trying to bash veggie / black bean patties. They are good in their own right. More or less expressing my disappointment with the Impossible Burger. Was told it like eating a patty, but the texture was off, and I was put off by the "beany" after taste. It really falls into the "uncanny valley" of food.

I'd love an artificial meat alternative, but I don't think the Impossible Burger as it is now is the solution.

5 minutes ago, animaltested said:

Chicken Breast is way too fragile. Easy to undercook, easier to overcook. Even filleting and pounding won't fix the issue. Chicken Thigh on the other hand, user friendly. Lately, been pan frying for 4 minutes on each side, and finishing in the oven for 15. Adding a broth-white wine mix to the pan when I throw it in the oven. Fantastic weeknight dinner.

User friendly is the perfect word. Chicken breast is easy to dry out. Chicken thighs are nearly always delicious. You have to try to screw them up. And also they're cheaper. 

12 minutes ago, animaltested said:

Not trying to bash veggie / black bean patties. They are good in their own right. More or less expressing my disappointment with the Impossible Burger. Was told it like eating a patty, but the texture was off, and I was put off by the "beany" after taste. It really falls into the "uncanny valley" of food.

I'd love an artificial meat alternative, but I don't think the Impossible Burger as it is now is the solution.

That's fair.  When did you have it?  I had heard recently that they changed the formula, and that V2 was much better than V1.

(never had it myself)

1 hour ago, animaltested said:

1 hour ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

User friendly is the perfect word. Chicken breast is easy to dry out. Chicken thighs are nearly always delicious. You have to try to screw them up. And also they're cheaper. 

Dark meat >>> white meat in every way IMO.  Easier to use, tastier.  Less healthy, but whatever.

This will sound weird, but I promise it doesn't taste as weird as it sounds.  The best part of a chicken is the heart.  Has the same flavor that dark meat has, but more intense.  It's a muscle, so it doesn't have that organy flavor that livers and gizzards do.  If you fry them, it's like the best version of a chicken nugget.