What Did You Cook for Dinner?

MKnight82

On 16/08/2019 at 10:07 AM, animaltested said:

I was late on this train, but this x1000.

Chicken Breast is way too fragile. Easy to undercook, easier to overcook. Even filleting and pounding won't fix the issue. Chicken Thigh on the other hand, user friendly. Lately, been pan frying for 4 minutes on each side, and finishing in the oven for 15. Adding a broth-white wine mix to the pan when I throw it in the oven. Fantastic weeknight dinner.

Yeah.  Chicken thighs are severely underrated.  You can do basically anything to them; cook them all sorts of different ways...and they usually turn out really good with very little attention.

You can bake 'em, or fry them, or both...or fry them and simmer them in a sauce.  Always just sorta works out.

Had some last night.  Just seasoned them, baked them a bit...dunked them in a bowl of honey sriracha garlic and lime juice and baked them some more, and thoroughly enjoyed.  While paying pretty minimal attention to the whole thing.  They're pretty idiot proof.

I still probably cook more chicken breasts in the end, but thighs are just so much more low maintenance.  Great for just doing a bit of other stuff while dinner is cooking.  My go-to for busy/lazy weeks.

On 24/07/2019 at 6:15 AM, Daniel said:

Alright, unpopular opinion.  Tenderness is overrated.  If a cut of beef is more flavorful, I'll do some chewing.

Brisket is the best cut on the cow.

That's true.  I like some texture to my beef.  

But also...

On 24/07/2019 at 6:56 AM, Matts4313 said:

Brisket is supposed to be cooked until its super tender tho

This.  Like, good brisket isn't something i'd describe as "chewy" at all.

But also, i wouldn't describe it as something i "boiled" like Daniel did either.  Only things i'd boil are like pasta, maybe a sauce, or an egg if it's Easter and i want to do some artworks on it.

4 hours ago, Tugboat said:

This.  Like, good brisket isn't something i'd describe as "chewy" at all.

But also, i wouldn't describe it as something i "boiled" like Daniel did either.  Only things i'd boil are like pasta, maybe a sauce, or an egg if it's Easter and i want to do some artworks on it.

Corned beef brisket is always boiled.  That's how it's prepared.  You brine it, boil it, and then serve it.  Some variation after that, but boiling is a part of the process.

1 hour ago, Daniel said:

Corned beef brisket is always boiled.  That's how it's prepared.  You brine it, boil it, and then serve it.  Some variation after that, but boiling is a part of the process.

I wouldn't do that.  I'd leave that to the experts.

4 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

Question for the healthy food types here at FF:
Q:   What's the difference between a lentil and a chickpea ?
A:   You wouldn't pay $ 200 for a lentil on your face

Humor aside....lentil soup is good stuff. Easy as pie to make - can throw a whole bunch of good stuff in it - and its really good for you.

Its a "feel good" food. Besides the differing tastes (depending on how you make it....) it makes you feel good to eat it. Highly recommended.

Edited by Leader
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Leader said:

Humor aside....lentil soup is good stuff. Easy as pie to make - can throw a whole bunch of good stuff in it - and its really good for you.

Its a "feel good" food. Besides the differing tastes (depending on how you make it....) it makes you feel good to eat it. Highly recommended.

Lentils and split peas both make great soups. And you don’t have to soak them overnight like you do other legumes.

I like taking orange lentils, sweet potatoes, tomatoes, and mango, and making curry myself.

13 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Lentils and split peas both make great soups. And you don’t have to soak them overnight like you do other legumes.

I like taking orange lentils, sweet potatoes, tomatoes, and mango, and making curry myself.

This is above my pay grade :) I've never made split pea soup but imagine it would be "one pot" simple and just as nutritious as lentil.

5 minutes ago, Leader said:

This is above my pay grade :) I've never made split pea soup but imagine it would be "one pot" simple and just as nutritious as lentil.

I make a lot of split pea soup after Christmas. I make a country ham for Christmas every year, and the leftover bones and connective tissue make several pots of bomb *** pea soup. The hock too, if you wanna use it for that.

Super easy soup to make though. Just need some broth or stock, carrots, onions, peppers, a handful of spices, and of course the peas. One pot simple. Make it even better by adding a cup of frozen peas at the end, and you get both the fresh and the dried pea flavors.

1 minute ago, Daniel said:

I make a lot of split pea soup after Christmas. I make a country ham for Christmas every year, and the leftover bones and connective tissue make several pots of bomb *** pea soup. The hock too, if you wanna use it for that.

Super easy soup to make though. Just need some broth or stock, carrots, onions, peppers, a handful of spices, and of course the peas. One pot simple. Make it even better by adding a cup of frozen peas at the end, and you get both the fresh and the dried pea flavors.

Yeah....well thats Phase II of the lentil (and now pea) soup process: putting meat into it. I've never done it since I've never baked a ham - but I hear thats relatively easy, so it will probably happen somewhere along the way.

fried chicken sandwich. might be the best thing I ever made. was delicious.

let the chicken chill in the fridge w/ salt and brown sugar on it for 5-6 hours. the breading was flour, cornstarch, cayenne, paprika, garlic powder, salt, & pepper. used buttermilk, egg, and cayenne for the wash. also the oil was used for making beef tacos earlier, so that might have helped.

the sauce was mayo, chopped green onion, chopped pickles, lemon juice, and a little ketchup. 

shredded lettuce with a little lemon juice and a little salt. 

just toasted & buttered white bread, probably should've got an actual bun tho.

Edited by 11sanchez11