What Did You Cook for Dinner?

MKnight82

On ‎9‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 4:56 PM, Shanedorf said:

What is your  # 1 favorite dinner ? Tough call, so many to choose from and its hard to leave a perfect steak off the list

Morbidly, I want to die full of wings. Like, a gratuitous amount where I could die before I get to the chair anyway.

On 9/20/2019 at 6:43 AM, skywlker32 said:

Going back to the chicken discussion, chicken thighs are definitely the easiest and taste very good with little effort, but a simple chicken breast on the grill makes all the difference. Grilled>>>>>>>>>>>baked chicken breast (as with most things).

My favorite meal that my wife makes though is chicken thighs cooked in a bone broth served with sautéed kale with olives and dates in it.

I like bone in breast the best.

Off a whole body chicken, I leave the breast whole rather than splitting down the breast plate with a knife. Tuck the bones underneath and lay it on a cutting board, put a hand firmly on each breast (harharhar) and push down a few times to break the ribs. 

Open the whole thing up, rub it with whatever you want then roll the ribs tight underneath it (with lemon/lime slices and more herbs if you like that), tie it up tight with butchers twine and barbecue on low. 

This is turkey but you get the idea.

6378036953_da630675a1_o.jpg

3 hours ago, Dome said:

I like bone in breast the best.

Off a whole body chicken, I leave the breast whole rather than splitting down the breast plate with a knife. Tuck the bones underneath and lay it on a cutting board, put a hand firmly on each breast (harharhar) and push down a few times to break the ribs. 

Open the whole thing up, rub it with whatever you want then roll the ribs tight underneath it (with lemon/lime slices and more herbs if you like that), tie it up tight with butchers twine and barbecue on low. 

This is turkey but you get the idea.

6378036953_da630675a1_o.jpg

So, this is a lot of steps, but my favorite thing to do with a chicken breast is marinate it in the liquid leftover from making salsa.

I keep a garden, so most summers I have tomatoes, peppers, and some herbs.  I'll usually go to my parents' house a couple of times with those things (along with lime, garlic, onions, dried chiles, and a little worchestershire sauce, and we'll make a ton of salsa in their food processor, and eat it with chips.  One important step in making salsa is putting it in a sieve, and letting the liquid drip out, so your salsa isn't watery garbage.

That liquid makes an outstanding chicken breast marinade.  There's plenty of both acid and salt in it to flavor it up nicely, and breast is the best to absorb that flavor.  Grill it, bake it, pan sear it, whatever.  Really good.

Ordinarily though, dark meat of any kind >>> breast meat.  Hearts are the best.

• Like 1

On 18/09/2019 at 10:39 AM, Dome said:

Funny that's your last meal choice, because that choice should be punishable by death.

I mean, what's wrong with it?  A perfectly grilled sirloin is the best steak, and McDonald's have indisputably the best fries on earth.  They're just...better.

13 hours ago, Tugboat said:

I mean, what's wrong with it?  A perfectly grilled sirloin is the best steak, and McDonald's have indisputably the best fries on earth.  They're just...better.

I mean, if we're talking bottom sirloin, I think it's underrated, but it's no ribeye.  And that's not even best when grilled, it's best when it's cooked as a dang prime rib.

And lastly pan searing >>>>> grilling, when it comes to steak.  Any steak.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Daniel said:

And lastly pan searing >>>>> grilling, when it comes to steak.  Any steak.

I tend to agree but mostly just because it's being basted in butter and herbs.  I've been making some ridiculously good steaks on the grill lately.  I turn the right most burner up to med-high and the middle burner to low-med with the left completely off.  I put the steaks on the top rack all the way to the left so they're off the heat.  Cook that til it's like 15ish degress from whatever temp you want then put the right burner on as high as it will go and just sear the outside.  

Nice crust on the outside and cooked perfectly on the inside.  I'll sometimes let it rest on butter/garlic/herbs as well to get some of that additional flavor you miss from the pan sear. 

18 minutes ago, flyers0909 said:

I tend to agree but mostly just because it's being basted in butter and herbs.  I've been making some ridiculously good steaks on the grill lately.  I turn the right most burner up to med-high and the middle burner to low-med with the left completely off.  I put the steaks on the top rack all the way to the left so they're off the heat.  Cook that til it's like 15ish degress from whatever temp you want then put the right burner on as high as it will go and just sear the outside.  

Nice crust on the outside and cooked perfectly on the inside.  I'll sometimes let it rest on butter/garlic/herbs as well to get some of that additional flavor you miss from the pan sear. 

Personally, I don't do that stuff most of the time.  I like it in a pan because you get a very nice crust.  I just do it in an empty pan, and I put salt and oil on the steak itself.

19 hours ago, flyers0909 said:

This is basically a reverse seared steak. I’ve only done it once so far, but I believe it won’t take me too much time to be convinced this is the best way to do it.  BTW I do this on a Traeger smoker with cherry pellets. 

Edited by Bonanza23

Just made steak on the grill and it was one of the better steaks that I've made (including stove top sear with cast iron and then in the oven). I put the grill at high to get the temp. of the grill surface up and then lowered to medium to medium-high. grill side one until about 100F and flip until done (medium rare of course). So easy, but so good. Only need salt. Weber makes it easy with the smart thermometer though (came free with the grill).