What Did You Cook for Dinner?

MKnight82

8 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Its very understandable why people like them. 

Step 1 - throw food in big pot morning before work

Step 2 - come home to a home cooked meal

Yeah the appeal isn’t that hard to understand imo.

I don’t think people use crock pots because they make the best food, they use them because they are easy/convenient.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I don’t think people use crock pots because they make the best food, they use them because they are easy/convenient.

I bet the same people bashing a crock pot eat from a microwave all the time. 

• Like 1

Okay, I gotta share the best beans I ever ate

Was grilling brats and didn't have baked beans.

Did have black beans though.

So mixed up the black beans with some wortheshire sauce, brown sugar, maple syrup, Frank's hot sauce, cayenne pepper ,onions, garlic, jalapeno ketchup, all in reasonable proportions

Used the leftovers on homemade nachos the next day

Edited by Malfatron
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:
3 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

Its very understandable why people like them. 

Step 1 - throw food in big pot morning before work

Step 2 - come home to a home cooked meal

Change your life

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I’ve been kicking around the idea of an instant pot for a while.

They seem handy.

They’re great. Super convenient, and actually make good tasting food with depth.

And if you really do need to put food in before you go to work, the enameled cast iron Dutch oven with the lid cracked in a 225° oven is the way to go. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, pwny said:

They’re great. Super convenient, and actually make good tasting food with depth.

And if you really do need to put food in before you go to work, the enameled cast iron Dutch oven with the lid cracked in a 225° oven is the way to go. 

You are still missing the convenience of a crock pot on a timer. Some foods need 4 hours. Some 12. A crockpot can do that for you while you are gone, the others cant.

For the record I have an instant pot and not a crock pot. I just know why people use them. 

Just now, Matts4313 said:

You are still missing the convenience of a crock pot on a timer. Some foods need 4 hours. Some 12. A crockpot can do that for you while you are gone, the others cant.

The instant pot absolutely can do that. There’s a delayed start function and a keep warm function.

Actually, I imagine a crock pot/instant pot/whatever would probably be great for curry too, if you like curry.  Or any number of bean dishes: soup, chili, dhal, red beans and rice, baked beans, etc.  Meat sauces for pasta too.

I don't have a crock pot, but I do cook a lot of stuff that takes a long time, and I think I'm a pretty good cook, so I got recipes for days.

Edited by Daniel
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

I bet the same people bashing a crock pot eat from a microwave all the time. 

I didn't even own a microwave from 2015 to 2018. And the only reason I have one now is it's a built-in model that was already there when we got the place. So you definitely got me there.

But at least if someone was using a microwave for whatever, at least they'd actually be getting the benefit of having their meal cooked in 4 minutes from the freezer. It's far inferior, but at least there's some sort of benefit. The crockpot offers no advantage over superior cooking methods. 

Just now, Daniel said:

Actually, I imagine a crock pot/instant pot/whatever would probably be great for curry too, if you like curry.  Or any number of bean dishes: soup, chili, dhal, red beans and rice, baked beans, etc.  Meat sauces for pasta too.

I don't have a crock pot, but I do cook a lot of stuff that takes a long time, and I think I'm a pretty good cook.

The crockpot, absolutely not. 

https://www.seriouseats.com/2016/10/why-pressure-cookers-are-better-than-slow-cookers.html

That article explains why it sucks. No reduction and no Maillard browning leads to a watery, bland, garbage product.

38 minutes ago, pwny said:

The instant pot absolutely can do that. There’s a delayed start function and a keep warm function.

It can do it when it acts like a crockpot. Also, the instant pot has to be sealed, so you have a bit more flexibility with the crockpot. 

But as I said, I only have an instapot because the two are a bit redundant. 

8 minutes ago, pwny said:

The crockpot, absolutely not. 

https://www.seriouseats.com/2016/10/why-pressure-cookers-are-better-than-slow-cookers.html

That article explains why it sucks. No reduction and no Maillard browning leads to a watery, bland, garbage product.

I mean, it seems you can cure those both by browning the meat ahead of time, like I would assume you should do in a pressure cooker too, and putting in less liquid.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

It can do it when it acts like a crockpot. Also, the instant pot has to be sealed, so you have a bit more flexibility with the crockpot. 

But as I said, I only have an instapot because the two are a bit redundant. 

What do you mean when it acts as a crock pot? The delay start and keep warm functions work on every cook mode.

Also, what do you mean by flexibility?