What Did You Cook for Dinner?

MKnight82

4 hours ago, MWil23 said:

Some “expert” online said to never put pepper on a steak before cooking, otherwise your sear would create a charcoal pepper crust...and I looked on in sheer amazement and incredulous disapproval. It was horrifying.

Yeah, anybody who says this shouldn’t be listened to.

5 hours ago, MWil23 said:

If you put a gun to my head and only gave me 4 items to use on meat, I am taking salt, pepper, garlic, and butter. Dry rub and then cook in and spoon over butter, also with garlic in it.

Try cooking it in a neutral oil then finish with the butter basting. You won’t burn the milk proteins that way, and it’ll taste a bit better. 

And either salt the steaks 40+ minutes before cooking, or immediately before, not between. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, pwny said:

Yeah, anybody who says this shouldn’t be listened to.

Try cooking it in a neutral oil then finish with the butter basting. You won’t burn the milk proteins that way, and it’ll taste a bit better. 

And either salt the steaks 40+ minutes before cooking, or immediately before, not between. 

I always run the meat with olive oil and then finish with butter, herb and garlic.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I always run the meat with olive oil and then finish with butter, herb and garlic.

You’re good. 

I like avocado oil because of the high smoke point, but I’m also only finishing the steaks in pan after sous viding, so I need the higher temp to get the sear on it without banding. Not necessary if you’re cooking from raw to your temp though.

But I will also throw out the suggestion of a reverse sear. 
https://www.seriouseats.com/2017/03/how-to-reverse-sear-best-way-to-cook-steak.html

My favorite way to do a pan steak. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, pwny said:

https://www.seriouseats.com/2017/03/how-to-reverse-sear-best-way-to-cook-steak.html

12 hours ago, MWil23 said:

@pwny that’s interesting! I always do it the opposite! I’ll have to try it.

Reverse sear is legit.

Skippy Natural Peanut Butter with Smuckers Strawberry Preserves on Arnold Buttermilk bread aka Peanut Butter & Jelly. 2 of them, of course. Whole Foods Pretzel Nuggets, Siggi’s Vanilla Yogurt, Red Vines and a Whole Foods Lime Popsicle. This meal was washed down with Kroger Canned Seltzer Water.

I win!

• Like 3

18 hours ago, pwny said:

You’re good. 

I like avocado oil because of the high smoke point, but I’m also only finishing the steaks in pan after sous viding, so I need the higher temp to get the sear on it without banding. Not necessary if you’re cooking from raw to your temp though.

Isn’t the point of searing first to trap in the juices?  Reverse searing doesn’t dry out the meat?

Just now, MKnight82 said:

Isn’t the point of searing first to trap in the juices?  Reverse searing doesn’t dry out the meat?

That’s the purpose, yes. Problem is that it’s a lie. It doesn’t trap in juices at all. 

People have been all about reverse searing lately, and I've tried it, but I still prefer the regular searing in a cast iron skillet method the few times I actually am cooking a steak.  I want it almost raw in the very center as opposed to medium rare all through.  Good for what most people want though.

1 hour ago, Daniel said:

People have been all about reverse searing lately, and I've tried it, but I still prefer the regular searing in a cast iron skillet method the few times I actually am cooking a steak.  I want it almost raw in the very center as opposed to medium rare all through.  Good for what most people want though.

Yeah I’ve been known to have a steak still cold in the middle.

Definitely not for everyone, but there’s a couple places I’ve been that do it right though