What Did You Cook for Dinner?

MKnight82

3 minutes ago, N4L said:

Haven't read any of the thread but I just fired up my crock pot and am gonna put some water, salt, and chicken into it. Should I add any other spices like black pepper?? 

I just love how juicy the crock pot keeps my food

Pepper is awesome in food prep. Yes.

My go to combos 

Garlic, chilli, ginger, soy sauce.

Honey, ginger, soy sauce

Garlic, butter. 

Salt, pepper, garlic, butter. 

Salt, pepper. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, N4L said:

Haven't read any of the thread but I just fired up my crock pot and am gonna put some water, salt, and chicken into it. Should I add any other spices like black pepper?? 

I just love how juicy the crock pot keeps my food

Put garlic and cumin on everything.  But yeah, black pepper too.

But actually, in all seriousness, chicken is a great way to get familiar with a spice or spice mix.  A plain chicken breast with a little oil and salt along with the spice of your choice works almost every time, since it's pretty bland by itself, and the result will almost always be edible, at least, and will taste of the spice you're trying to figure out.

Edited by Daniel

pwny has the anger of Gordon Ramsey when it comes to food. 

I won't comment on who he's like with the execution (cause it's not Mr. Ramsey there), but the passion is there.

4/5 stars so far.

Ok I'll comment. He's like Adam from Adam ruins everything. 

Pwny ruins everything. 

• Like 2

Instapots are far superior to crockpots btw, i didn't really read the whole thing cause it's silly to argue otherwise IMO. I don't even know if that was the argument, I just saw pwny posting pics again and knew it was gonna be good.

I make my own lunch meat with my instapot, then take it to work to slice it on the industrial slicer. Saves a ton of money and it's a far superior product compared to anything else in the price range of DIY

Though I'll admit that's all I myself use it for, so not a ton of experience. I just know some of my favorite meals have come from that thing since we got it, but they were all made by someone other than me.

Edited by Dome

7 hours ago, pwny said:

Again, you're wrong and the science backs me up on it. If you like your food bland with no reduction creating a concentration of flavors and no Maillard reaction browning creating depth, then sure a crock pot is a Toyota. But to anyone who actually wants good quality flavors, a crock pot is trash. Period. And that isn't hyperbole.

Kinda odd that the one of us who owns a crock pot is being told by the one who doesn't own one how it's actually good. Weird.

Ive owned one in the past. Ive used it plenty of times. 

1 minute ago, Forge said:

My girlfriend has been bugging me to get an air fryer. How do you like it in general? 

I love it. I work 2nd shift so when I get home, I really don't wanna cook. It's easy as hell to do burgers, chicken patties, steaks, etc. really easy. I'm not a picky eater though, so I think everything turns out well out of it. 

• Like 1

Homemade steak fajitas in the cast iron skillet are my go to. Fresh sautéed vegetables with sirloin or flank steak, fresh guacamole and some sour cream/cheese if you want. Sometimes I swap Greek yogurt for sour cream. Finish steak with lime juice to balance the fajita dry rub.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, pwny said:

It's also terrible quality food by comparison. Which is my point.

Yes, if you have no money and the only thing that you can get is a hand me down crock pot, then that's probably the best for you. But if you can swing the $40 for a (decent, but not great) enameled cast iron dutch oven, or the $60 for an on-sale Instant Pot, you're going to be making far, far superior food. The buy in for these isn't prohibitively high that the majority of people really need to be sticking with an inferior product. You don't need a $350 Le Creuset or Staub, or the $250 Fast Slow Pro to make a far superior food to the trash that comes out of a crock pot.

I have reservations leaving my oven on all day though.  A crockpot feels safer to me and I know it uses way less electricity.  

11 hours ago, Dome said:

pwny has the anger of Gordon Ramsey when it comes to food. 

I won't comment on who he's like with the execution (cause it's not Mr. Ramsey there), but the passion is there.

4/5 stars so far.

Ok I'll comment. He's like Adam from Adam ruins everything. 

Pwny ruins everything. 

This whole thread is basically this:

Mariah Carey Cat Felidae Small to medium-sized cats

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MKnight82 said:

I have reservations leaving my oven on all day though.  A crockpot feels safer to me and I know it uses way less electricity.  

Yeah, that’s like the whole point of a crockpot. Convenience without burning down your house.

2 hours ago, Daniel said:
3 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

Yeah, that’s like the whole point of a crockpot. Convenience without burning down your house.

Except crock pots account for 8% of all home fire deaths and an annual $79 million worth of property damage while ovens only account for 3% and $45 million. So convenience, bad food, and twice as likely to kill you and burn your house down.