What Did You Cook for Dinner?

MKnight82

7 hours ago, scar988 said:

Northern states can't make southern food. They're terrible at smoking meats too.

Can’t we say the same about southern states and northern food? I don’t wanna try y’all cheesesteaks.

14 hours ago, JoshstraDaymus said:

Can’t we say the same about southern states and northern food? I don’t wanna try y’all cheesesteaks.

In some instances. But one big problem with southern food up north is ingredient based.

For instance: biscuits. Yall can’t make good biscuits, even when you use the exact same recipe, because you can’t get the right kind of flour outside of the south (without like, special ordering it from somewhere) because flours are typically fairly local in production. Southern wheat gives a much softer flour which is great for biscuits. Use anything else and you’ll get a hockey puck. Cake flour might work ok though.

Watermelon is another example. Sure, sone ship ok, but you can’t get any soft skinned watermelons without growing them yourself, and yall don’t have the climate for it.

Also, there’s a bomb cheesesteak place down the street from my house. They ship the bread in from Philly though, so it probably doesn’t count.

1 hour ago, Daniel said:

In some instances. But one big problem with southern food up north is ingredient based.

For instance: biscuits. Yall can’t make good biscuits, even when you use the exact same recipe, because you can’t get the right kind of flour outside of the south (without like, special ordering it from somewhere) because flours are typically fairly local in production. Southern wheat gives a much softer flour which is great for biscuits. Use anything else and you’ll get a hockey puck. Cake flour might work ok though.

Watermelon is another example. Sure, sone ship ok, but you can’t get any soft skinned watermelons without growing them yourself, and yall don’t have the climate for it.

Also, there’s a bomb cheesesteak place down the street from my house. They ship the bread in from Philly though, so it probably doesn’t count.

That’s how I feel about most grazing animals here in the Midwest. I mock any Southerner who says they can do beef or chicken well, and depending upon the area, pigs…not to mention vegetables, fruits like berries/apples, and cheeses.

15 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

That’s how I feel about most grazing animals here in the Midwest. I mock any Southerner who says they can do beef or chicken well, and depending upon the area, pigs…not to mention vegetables, fruits like berries/apples, and cheeses.

We have lots and lots of those in the south.

I mean, Tennessee has the farm that produces the go-to premier bacon for most restaurants in the country (Benton's) and Virginia ham is a thing.

And how dare you imply that southerners can't do chicken!

For the rest, sure.  I very much doubt that the south is doing the best cheese.  Apples, probably.  But berries, we have aplenty.  Blueberry and strawberry picking fields are everywhere here.

4 hours ago, Daniel said:

I know with a cheesesteak it should be simple, but it's just as easy to have a bad one as it is to have a good one. I promise you it's not just the bread. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, JoshstraDaymus said:

I know with a cheesesteak it should be simple, but it's just as easy to have a bad one as it is to have a good one. I promise you it's not just the bread. 

Oh I know.  I've been to Philly.  My mother in law is from Philly, and she's eaten there.  It's run by Philly natives that moved down to the area and decided to sell cheesesteaks.  They're good.  But like I said, probably doesn't count, since they aren't southerners making cheesesteaks; they're Philadelphians making cheesesteaks in the south.

Regional food is always gonna be better in its own region.

21 hours ago, MWil23 said:

Up here in Ohio, we'd mock guys like you. You'd enjoy some smoked meat, good homemade sides, some cold drinks, and great company. My paternal grandmother's Mennonite side forgot more about cooking than most of you all ever know/will know. :) 

Trust me, they haven't. Southern cooking is the heartiest of them all. But no one goes to Ohio for Ohio-style BBQ. There's a difference between BBQ and grilling out too. 

19 hours ago, JoshstraDaymus said:

LOL. Just like our pizza here is terrible too. I never claimed we were good at cheesesteaks. (though, it really can't be that tough as long as you have the right bread. It's basically just chopped flank steak with some form of Cheese Whiz).

5 hours ago, scar988 said:

Trust me, they haven't. Southern cooking is the heartiest of them all. But no one goes to Ohio for Ohio-style BBQ. There's a difference between BBQ and grilling out too. 

LOL. Just like our pizza here is terrible too. I never claimed we were good at cheesesteaks. (though, it really can't be that tough as long as you have the right bread. It's basically just chopped flank steak with some form of Cheese Whiz).

You’d think that, but I assure you it’s not that way.

side note: has anyone in this thread tried Old Forge Pizza?

21 hours ago, Daniel said:

We have lots and lots of those in the south.

I mean, Tennessee has the farm that produces the go-to premier bacon for most restaurants in the country (Benton's) and Virginia ham is a thing.

And how dare you imply that southerners can't do chicken!

For the rest, sure.  I very much doubt that the south is doing the best cheese.  Apples, probably.  But berries, we have aplenty.  Blueberry and strawberry picking fields are everywhere here.

It seems like you're from the south and just prefer the food you grew up with. The south isn't universally better at the things you think it is ha

Everything is so global now, regions don't really matter from a food perspective. You can find whatever you want wherever you are pretty much.

Edited by incognito_man

7 hours ago, incognito_man said:

It seems like you're from the south and just prefer the food you grew up with. The south isn't universally better at the things you think it is ha

Everything is so global now, regions don't really matter from a food perspective. You can find whatever you want wherever you are pretty much.

Of course not. But chicken and pork are like the meats the south is known for.

• Like 1