What Did You Cook for Dinner?

MKnight82

On 10/7/2021 at 7:14 AM, scar988 said:

phrasing.

Also, this is why I like doing bacon wrapped or prosciutto wrapped things. I throw some prosciutto wrapped apples on the smoker and they come out amzing.

I'm on team like...bacon pushed the absolute cusp of being burnt, but not quite tho.  Crispy as heck.  So, wrapping things in bacon, basically ensures that the bacon is never going to get crispy enough to be done right.

The whole spectrum of "preferred bacon doneness" is fascinating to me though.  Why do people even like bacon when it's all floppy bendy and tough?

• Like 1

On 10/16/2021 at 6:30 AM, Tugboat said:

I'm on team like...bacon pushed the absolute cusp of being burnt, but not quite tho.  Crispy as heck.  So, wrapping things in bacon, basically ensures that the bacon is never going to get crispy enough to be done right.

The whole spectrum of "preferred bacon doneness" is fascinating to me though.  Why do people even like bacon when it's all floppy bendy and tough?

That's why I love the smoker. The bacon gets right before that being burnt before getting burnt. So it's crispy and smokey and then the stuff inside is nice and tender. 

On 10/18/2021 at 8:24 AM, scar988 said:

That's why I love the smoker. The bacon gets right before that being burnt before getting burnt. So it's crispy and smokey and then the stuff inside is nice and tender. 

Smokers are a luxury of the people who do not live in the arctic most of the year.  But also, people here have smokers, but they're not like that.

I wish i could just have a smoker out back like that, and just throw some meat in with a rub and come back a day later to like delicious food.

1 hour ago, Tugboat said:

Smokers are a luxury of the people who do not live in the arctic most of the year.  But also, people here have smokers, but they're not like that.

I wish i could just have a smoker out back like that, and just throw some meat in with a rub and come back a day later to like delicious food.

Yeah, it's not that easy. But I get why it looks like that.

4 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

@Dome serious question for you as an expert:

TL;DR

Looking at getting a portion of a cow to store in a deep freezer. As a butcher, what would you suggest for thickness of the steak cuts? 

It’s all preference bb 

I get really thick cuts, I like how they cook and they’ll stay in your target range longer than a quick cooking steak. Thin steaks are misteaks IMO

more important question: have you purchased cow from this source before?

Edited by Dome

23 minutes ago, Dome said:

It’s all preference bb 

I get really thick cuts, I like how they cook and they’ll stay in your target range longer than a quick cooking steak. Thin steaks are misteaks IMO

So...3/4 inch or so?

23 minutes ago, Dome said:

more important question: have you purchased cow from this source before?

Yes

The guy I get it from is about an hour away, and all of his cows are free range, grass fed, and delicious. He was a good friend of my dad's (my dad passed away), and he's a local farmer who is an awesome human being.

39 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Yes

The guy I get it from is about an hour away, and all of his cows are free range, grass fed, and delicious.

I only asked cause lots of people think they’ll save a bunch of money on buying a half or quarter, then they get it and realize grass fed free range cows taste much different than the grain fed cows that dominate the grocery store shelves. Sometimes they made a very expensive mistake

I personally don’t like grass fed beef all that much, not the fatty cuts anyways 

Edited by Dome
  • Like 1

Just now, Dome said:

I only asked cause lots of people think they’ll save a bunch of money on buying a half or quarter, then they get it and realize grass fed free range cows taste much different than the grain fed cows that dominate the grocery store shelves.

I personally don’t like grass fed beef all that much, not the fatty cuts anyways 

I'll be honest, I was somewhat skeptical myself until about 6 years ago, and I should also say that they're not SOLELY grass fed/free range, but they have that as part of their diet...they are also given some grain.

I'm not sure what it's going to be now, but last time we got 197 pounds (hanging weight) for $600, and that included the butcher's fee for the cuts and packaging. I mean, $3 for a pound of ground beef isn't a bad deal, but you throw in those delicious roasts and steaks, and it's a steal.

@MWil23

$3 a pound is really good, I split a half with my parents last year (I only took about 10% of it) and we paid $3.88 a pound cut and wrapped. 

Im actually currently in the long process of getting the place I bought ready to be a Washington Custom Cuts facility so I can raise and sell meat directly.

I’ll be doing organic quail for the next year or so because the licensing for that is pretty easy to get… getting licensed for lamb and goat will require a bit of remodeling to my shop. Won’t mess with beef or pork, going to try for some specialty meats that you can’t get around here.

• Like 1

Just now, Dome said:

@MWil23

$3 a pound is really good, I split a half with my parents last year (I only took about 10% of it) and we paid $3.88 a pound cut and wrapped. 

To be honest, that was back in 2014 or 2015, so I'm sure it's probably more now...but I also know that the farmer really did me a solid after my dad died (he was really good friends with him) and I'd be shocked if he sold me full price now in hindsight.

Just now, Dome said:

Im actually currently in the long process of getting the place I bought ready to be a Washington Custom Cuts facility so I can raise and sell meat directly.

Let's gooooo!!!!!

Just now, Dome said:

I’ll be doing organic quail for the next year or so because the licensing for that is pretty easy to get… getting licensed for lamb and goat will require a bit of remodeling to my shop. Won’t mess with beef or pork, going to try for some specialty meats that you can’t get around here.

I've never had quail. What's it taste like?

My wife, myself, and even my kids all LOVE lamb, and I can't find goat anywhere around here, but I love it as well.

Yeah, I have no idea what beef/pork is like from state to state. Here in OH, my understanding is it's not too bad.

3 hours ago, MWil23 said:

I've never had quail. What's it taste like?

The way grass fed beef has a different earthy flavor than isn’t there with grain fed beef, quail has a different earthy flavor than chicken, but it’s very similar. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dome said:

The way grass fed beef has a different earthy flavor than isn’t there with grain fed beef, quail has a different earthy flavor than chicken, but it’s very similar. 

That's good stuff.

Kind of a weird segue, I am just now at the point in my life where I'm starting to appreciate/get into earthy flavors (I also like gamey meats personally) thanks to some bourbons that I've been able to try...so I bet I'd really like it.