What Did You Cook for Dinner?

MKnight82

2 hours ago, pwny said:

Except crock pots account for 8% of all home fire deaths and an annual $79 million worth of property damage while ovens only account for 3% and $45 million. So convenience, bad food, and twice as likely to kill you and burn your house down. 

I figured it out. Pwnys dog was kidnapped and cooked in a crock pot

Edited by Matts4313
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, pwny said:

Except crock pots account for 8% of all home fire deaths and an annual $79 million worth of property damage while ovens only account for 3% and $45 million. So convenience, bad food, and twice as likely to kill you and burn your house down. 

Ok, well I have no idea where you're getting those stats from but I can tell you I personally don't feel safe running an oven all day and would never do it (when I'm not home).  

Edited by MKnight82

5 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:
2 hours ago, pwny said:

Ok, well I have no idea where you're getting those stats from but I can tell you I personally don't feel safe running an oven all day and would never do it (when I'm not home).  

Most people would feel the same way, and not leave their oven on, which is probably why it's at 3 percent.

Objectively, its safer to leave a crockpot on all day than a gas oven.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Malfatron said:

Most people would feel the same way, and not leave their oven on, which is probably why it's at 3 percent.

Except deaths mean that the people are home. Which means that the crockpot, which probably is only used 20% of the time (and that’s being generous) an oven is, still kills 2x as many people. We’re talking at least 10x as likely to kill you when you’re home, and you think it’s safer to run when you’re not home?

1 minute ago, pwny said:

Except deaths mean that the people are home. Which means that the crockpot, which probably is only used 20% of the time (and that’s being generous) an oven is, still kills 2x as many people. We’re talking at least 10x as likely to kill you when you’re home, and you think it’s safer to run when you’re not home?

Yes. A crockpot is definitely safer than leaving your oven on

https://www.consumerreports.org/slow-cookers/why-the-slow-cooker-fire-on-this-is-us-is-actually-unlikely/

Slow cookers are responsible for 8% of fires involving death, while ovens are responsible for only 3%. On the other end of the scale, slow cookers and ovens cause just about the same number of minor injuries (4% versus 5%, respectively). Both ovens and slow cookers, by the way, are dwarfed here by ranges and cooktops, which account for 61% of kitchen fires, 86% of kitchen-fire-related deaths, and 78% of kitchen-fire-related injuries.

If we look even deeper, things get even more interesting. While oven fires cause $45 million in property damage annually, slow cookers cause almost double that, $79 million. Oven fires tend to be confined within the oven itself, while slow cooker fires can easily spread to other parts of the kitchen.

Some folks have said that they are more reluctant to leave a gas oven on than an electric oven, and one might assume that gas ovens and ranges are inherently more risky than electric ovens and ranges, but that's actually not the case. Turns out that though 60% of households use electric stoves, they account for 80% of accidents.

From the article already posted. 

3 hours ago, theuntouchable said:

Tried bison steak and some shrimp tonight. 

Definitely pretty good and decently tender

We started carrying ground bison at work 

it makes very good everything except hamburgers. Wasn’t super impressed with my bison burger. Probably just a taste thing 

the meatloaf was the best I’ve had though 

Edited by Dome