The Milwaukee Brewers Thread - CY Burnes, 2021 NL Central Champs

ramssuperbowl99

I'm just underwhelmed by the return. Gasser is a 23 year old who has never pitched above A ball, isn't tooled up at all since his FB grades out poorly. He did enough to be able to tick it up to 95 but velo isn't the only part of having a good fastball. We don't know what he is yet since AA and above is where you start finding out your worth.

Ruiz, I hate buying on these type of prospects. The Padres 100% sold high on someone that could crater in a moment's notice. He changed his approach but it's the type of approach that may not work in the bigs since quality of contact matters. He's a low-impact bat that thrived in hitter friendly environments this season. He's going to need to be able to get to the gaps in order to be even an average hitter at the MLB level. I just don't get drafting guys with good hit tools but not much else and then deciding that the main piece in the return for Josh Hader is someone that has a questionable one with a short track record of success.

This entire process, from the return to the hit in the clubhouse, just baffles me. Since Rogers is a rental, this trade is essentially Gasser and Ruiz for Hader. That's a trade you 100% can revisit in December. Just no reason for it now. If you're worried about CF going forward, then ******* trade for one, don't sell your best asset in hopes that one of the 4 guys you have in AAA that can play the position figure it out. Just a total assbackwards approach to this and it's mindboggling. Mind you, I'm someone that puts a ton of time in evaluating baseball prospects and looks at how the tools match the stats to get the entire story. I didn't even want to invest in Ruiz in my dynasty baseball leagues FFS and Gasser isn't someone that would've been on my radar either due to his low ceiling as a back-of-the-rotation arm. 

I know I get reactionary but I don't think anyone can fight my train of thought here after making my analysis.

1 hour ago, beekay414 said:

I'm just underwhelmed by the return. Gasser is a 23 year old who has never pitched above A ball, isn't tooled up at all since his FB grades out poorly. He did enough to be able to tick it up to 95 but velo isn't the only part of having a good fastball. We don't know what he is yet since AA and above is where you start finding out your worth.

Ruiz, I hate buying on these type of prospects. The Padres 100% sold high on someone that could crater in a moment's notice. He changed his approach but it's the type of approach that may not work in the bigs since quality of contact matters. He's a low-impact bat that thrived in hitter friendly environments this season. He's going to need to be able to get to the gaps in order to be even an average hitter at the MLB level. I just don't get drafting guys with good hit tools but not much else and then deciding that the main piece in the return for Josh Hader is someone that has a questionable one with a short track record of success.

This entire process, from the return to the hit in the clubhouse, just baffles me. Since Rogers is a rental, this trade is essentially Gasser and Ruiz for Hader. That's a trade you 100% can revisit in December. Just no reason for it now. If you're worried about CF going forward, then ******* trade for one, don't sell your best asset in hopes that one of the 4 guys you have in AAA that can play the position figure it out. Just a total assbackwards approach to this and it's mindboggling. Mind you, I'm someone that puts a ton of time in evaluating baseball prospects and looks at how the tools match the stats to get the entire story. I didn't even want to invest in Ruiz in my dynasty baseball leagues FFS and Gasser isn't someone that would've been on my radar either due to his low ceiling as a back-of-the-rotation arm. 

I know I get reactionary but I don't think anyone can fight my train of thought here after making my analysis.

I dont keep track of NL teams, so I've unfamiliar with their teams make up. I'll see you in the WS...maybe....but from my AL-looking-in perspective, I figured Hader to be one of the top Closers in the league (havent looked up his stats) and as such (and following reading some Brewer fans comments) I have to say.....that SD got off easy.

Especially since MKE has DFA'd one of the players in the transaction! That's pretty amazing IMO.

One of my all time favorite moments as a Brewer fan was when they brought up Jorge Lopez in 2015 for 2 September stars even though he wasn't really ready as a 'reward' for his performance as the MiLB pitcher of the year, but also because with just one day of service time, MLB players are eligible for the MLBPA healthcare plan for life. Jorge's son was getting treatment in Puerto Rico for an illness that they couldn't diagnose, and this meant that he could get healthcare in the states. The broadcast made a point to say that they had a team HR rep on site ready to get his enrollment paperwork processed so he could get his son care stateside. 

Now there's **** like this. It doesn't cost that much money to be a decent employer for gods sake.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

One of my all time favorite moments as a Brewer fan was when they brought up Jorge Lopez in 2015 for 2 September stars even though he wasn't really ready as a 'reward' for his performance as the MiLB pitcher of the year, but also because with just one day of service time, MLB players are eligible for the MLBPA healthcare plan for life. Jorge's son was getting treatment in Puerto Rico for an illness that they couldn't diagnose, and this meant that he could get healthcare in the states. The broadcast made a point to say that they had a team HR rep on site ready to get his enrollment paperwork processed so he could get his son care stateside. 

Now there's **** like this. It doesn't cost that much money to be a decent employer for gods sake.

The Brewers are an easy target right now and rightfully so, but I don't think they did anything wrong here. Barker is a 30-something minor league pitcher going under the knife and playing career is probable over and it has hit him hard. His medicals/rehab are still covered, the Brewers just wanted to open up his 40-man roster spot for someone else. It happens with every team in every sport.  

On 8/3/2022 at 7:16 PM, Leader said:

I dont keep track of NL teams, so I've unfamiliar with their teams make up. I'll see you in the WS...maybe....but from my AL-looking-in perspective, I figured Hader to be one of the top Closers in the league (havent looked up his stats) and as such (and following reading some Brewer fans comments) I have to say.....that SD got off easy.

Especially since MKE has DFA'd one of the players in the transaction! That's pretty amazing IMO.

You won't be seeing us in the WS for a long time until we get ownership and management that are serious about winning instead of "being competitive" every year.  The folks running this franchise today are more interested in getting fannies in the seats than winning anything more than a divisional pennant. 

10 minutes ago, R T said:

The Brewers are an easy target right now and rightfully so, but I don't think they did anything wrong here. Barker is a 30-something minor league pitcher going under the knife and playing career is probable over and it has hit him hard. His medicals/rehab are still covered, the Brewers just wanted to open up his 40-man roster spot for someone else. It happens with every team in every sport.  

Disagree. They are covering the rehab either way, but the player obviously wanted to stay with the organization and their rehab structure that was already in place. 

At the bare minimum, they can place him on the 60-day DL for a few weeks or month until he has a chance to get comfortable in his rehab and then work him/his agent/his rehab staff to transition him out. There's no 40 man roster implications, the only difference is he'd collect salary for a few weeks.

• Like 1