The Milwaukee Brewers Thread - CY Burnes, 2021 NL Central Champs

ramssuperbowl99

4 hours ago, beekay414 said:

Then you up the 2nd piece to a better piece than Lopez. That simple. I doubt they were asking for any of our top tier guys.

Man you should be a MLB GM! xD

Edited by Slinky

5 hours ago, beekay414 said:

lol I bet they preferred Moose because he has a mutual option with a buyout rather than being a true expiring like Dozier.

Where are you @ramssuperbowl99? This is dumber than trading for ******* Merrifield and not a peep! lol

In Stearns I Trust

Been a lot of moves I didn't understand at the time while he's been here that have worked out.

22 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

In Stearns I Trust

Been a lot of moves I didn't understand at the time while he's been here that have worked out.

Shaw at 2nd just blows my damn mind. Not sure how anybody can realistically believe it's gonna work. 

39 minutes ago, Slinky said:

Man you should be a MLB GM! xD

Do you ever post anything productive? All I ever see you do is make snide comments to people with differing opinions. Perhaps you should keep that in the Packers forum?

Simple fact is, getting Dozier for whatever his realistic price is makes a **** ton more sense than moving Shaw off 3rd for a lesser 3B and an entirely new position during a damn pennant race. That was and has always been my point. 

But keep cherry picking **** to try and discredit people. It's the Packer forum way!

40 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Shaw at 2nd just blows my damn mind. Not sure how anybody can realistically believe it's gonna work. 

This post is gonna be really bad and ramble-y. My initial thoughts:

1. I don't know how much we'll see of Shaw at 2B. We've got platoon options with Moustakas at 3B, Perez at 2B against lefties. Then Villar at 2B, Shaw at 3B against righties. If we need more offense, we go with Shaw at 2B, Moose at 3B, but then that gives us options in the later innings to make defensive switches. So maybe the plan is "get a lead, then bullpen and defense to hold on".

Don't get me wrong, it's going to happen. But I think you can look at this as a part time Shaw to 2B move and a part time big time bench upgrade move. And if we paid for Moustakas as a bench bat exclusively, we'd all be saying "overpay, but spare parts so not that bad, and it makes our bench hitting way better".
  2. I also think we're punting IF defense a little bit because we have a lot of fly ball pitchers and are willing to gamble on shifts. Same reason I thought we might trade Arcia. It's a gamble, but I guess if I squint I can see what they're trying to do.
  3. The other part of this is that the Brewers have seen Shaw at 2B taking grounders and whatnot. They've got the data to suggest his range and how he'd be there, minus the awareness and double play experience type stuff. We don't have that information, and are having to go off of his size and how he looks at 3B. I don't think he'll be good, but if he's a -10 run 2B over a full season, so we lose 3 runs on defense, we'll more than make that up on offense. If he's a -20 type 2B, then I bet we abandon it pretty quickly and we overpaid for a bench/platoon bat.

Obviously my initial reaction isn't positive, but I didn't get the Thornburg-Shaw trade when we made that one either. I didn't get the Adam Lind trade (which is now the Freddy Peralta trade tbh) when that happened. I thought Ryan Cordell for Anthony Swarzak was an overpay. I didn't get the Meija trade that got nixed but that would have been epic in hindsight. I'm gonna In Stearns We Trust this one for a week.

Worst case scenario, we gave away a back-and-forth BP arm in Lopez and a guy who was never going to see the field in Phillips. One or both were 40-man roster churn candidates in the offseason too.

I'm shocked that it wasn't for Schoop considering all the tweets about it first. It would have made way more sense for Schoop or Doz. Moose and Shaw are basically the same player, aren't they? Brewers have too many good corner players instead of up the middle players. It seems backwards to me but I hope it works out for them.

No, I refuse to believe we are dumb enough to play Shaw at 2B. He's getting traded. Has to be. This makes no sense in reality. He has no business playing 2B in a professional baseball game. He's stiff and slow so he's going to have zero range. He's going to butcher DP balls and I bet he airmails 1st a few times. Just makes zero sense. I refuse to believe we are this dumb. 

It's one thing to be innovative. It's another to be stupid. Hint, this isn't innovation. 

1 hour ago, biggio7 said:

I'm shocked that it wasn't for Schoop considering all the tweets about it first. It would have made way more sense for Schoop or Doz. Moose and Shaw are basically the same player, aren't they? Brewers have too many good corner players instead of up the middle players. It seems backwards to me but I hope it works out for them.

We have the best 2B prospect in baseball who's in AA, so that hole is getting filled at the start of next year or maybe sooner. And we have a former top 20 prospect playing SS right now, he's just not hitting.

If Arcia was a league average hitter, this wouldn't be an issue at all.

The way I look at it Stearns probably called the Twins, Orioles and Royals and offered Lopez and Phillips for Dozier, Escobar, School or Moose, expecting to be turned down as to me that's a light package for any of them. The Royals said yes. Not sure how Shaw is going to be at 2B, but worst case it's not sustainable and we added Moose to a 3B/OF/1B type platoon for minimal cost. Still love this move.

55 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

The way I look at it Stearns probably called the Twins, Orioles and Royals and offered Lopez and Phillips for Dozier, Escobar, School or Moose, expecting to be turned down as to me that's a light package for any of them. The Royals said yes. Not sure how Shaw is going to be at 2B, but worst case it's not sustainable and we added Moose to a 3B/OF/1B type platoon for minimal cost. Still love this move.

What are you paying him?
Dont bother answering that......
So you're on the hook for some portion of 5.5M - which is a bargain for 2018.
Wouldnt have minded the NYY taking a look a him for that pittance. He'd come in handy for us right about now....
Not sure I'd want them on the hook for his 2019 15.5M though.

Edited by Leader

9 hours ago, titans0021 said:

I will say, unlike bk, I'm not legitimately mad about this. The price is low enough that it doesn't really matter. I'm just real confused by the thought process. There were/are actual middle infielders out there that could have helped us offensively without weakening us defensively.

I want to actually watch Shaw at 2nd before I declare he will be a disaster there.

10 hours ago, Pugger said:

I want to actually watch Shaw at 2nd before I declare he will be a disaster there.

Oh hey - I got this one (and my earlier comment) wrong. When I read about it, I thought he'd been traded away from the Brewers - not traded for. My bad.

14 hours ago, beekay414 said:

Do you ever post anything productive? All I ever see you do is make snide comments to people with differing opinions. Perhaps you should keep that in the Packers forum?

I have no idea what you're talking about. But if you can't handle a little ribbing, especially after always having a holier-than-thou attitude towards others, then oh well.