The Milwaukee Brewers Thread - CY Burnes, 2021 NL Central Champs

ramssuperbowl99

On 4/27/2018 at 4:20 PM, bkobow05 said:

I have no idea why Counsell plays those two so damn much tbh. I would rather watch Arcia struggle at the plate than see Hernan Perez swing at every single pitch or watch Sogard ground out.

Isn't that what Arcia is already doing?  All 3 of them aren't much to write home about with a bat in their hands.  If Arcia didn't have that cannon he wouldn't be starting IMO.

3 hours ago, Pugger said:

Isn't that what Arcia is already doing?  All 3 of them aren't much to write home about with a bat in their hands.  If Arcia didn't have that cannon he wouldn't be starting IMO.

Call me when Sogard or Perez are 24 year old gold glove caliber defensemen. 

17 hours ago, bkobow05 said:

Call me when Sogard or Perez are 24 year old gold glove caliber defensemen. 

Orlando is a special defensive SS.  I thought we were discussing Arcia's batting acumen.   

38 minutes ago, Pugger said:

Orlando is a special defensive SS.  I thought we were discussing Arcia's batting acumen.   

@bkobow05 was discussing the playing time. While Arcia has been bad with the bad (though still better than both Sogard and Perez), the defense and long term upside he has still make it a worthwhile bet to keep playing him.

This may be blunt, but there's no real redeeming reason to keep playing Sogard or Perez. They're either in or past their prime, aren't spectacular defenders, and don't offer much offensively. They're just warm bodies on the back of the roster.

57 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

@bkobow05 was discussing the playing time. While Arcia has been bad with the bad (though still better than both Sogard and Perez), the defense and long term upside he has still make it a worthwhile bet to keep playing him.

This may be blunt, but there's no real redeeming reason to keep playing Sogard or Perez. They're either in or past their prime, aren't spectacular defenders, and don't offer much offensively. They're just warm bodies on the back of the roster.

You are right about Sogard and Perez but I suppose every team has guys like these - guys that aren't all that great but are there for depth.  The best thing about Perez is his versatility.  Perhaps they will be replaced with players in our system later on this season.   I think Arcia is a fabulous defender but his approach at the plate drives me crazy at times.

Edited by Pugger

25 minutes ago, Pugger said:

You are right about Sogard and Perez but I suppose every team has guys like these - guys that aren't all that great but are there for depth.  The best thing about Perez is his versatility.  Perhaps they will be replaced with players in our system later on this season.   I think Arcia is a fabulous defender but his approach at the plate drives me crazy at times.

Been talking about this for a little while now, the guy who would be a noteworthy callup is Mauricio Dubon. His walk rate in AAA is basically nonexistent and I think he'd struggle in the big leagues right now with his approach, but he's hitting .320 and slugging .550, can play anywhere in the infield and even CF...

bk wants him up now. I want to see the approach improve first, but am starting to run out of patience.

• Like 1