The Milwaukee Brewers Thread - CY Burnes, 2021 NL Central Champs

ramssuperbowl99

Has anyone read anything about what Nick Ramirez throws? He was kind of a no contact power only 1B who switched to relief pitching and he's about to hit 100 innings in 2 minor league seasons with a 1.29 ERA and a whip of 1.00.

Would be a cool story if he made the big leagues, even if it's briefly.

9 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

Has anyone read anything about what Nick Ramirez throws? He was kind of a no contact power only 1B who switched to relief pitching and he's about to hit 100 innings in 2 minor league seasons with a 1.29 ERA and a whip of 1.00.

Would be a cool story if he made the big leagues, even if it's briefly.

Going from memory so this might be wrong. High 80s to maybe like 91, below average slider. A little funky, but more over the top motion.

25 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Going from memory so this might be wrong. High 80s to maybe like 91, below average slider. A little funky, but more over the top motion.

Nothing overly impressive it looks like, but seems like he's got something working for him with those numbers.

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/meet-the-extraordinary-freddy-peralta/

An interesting comment and response:

Q:

Can you succeed as a fastball-fastball pitcher? He threw 90% fastballs. 90%. Here is the list of guys who threw more than 80% fastballs as starters (minimum 200 innings) since 2000:

Bartolo Colon

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=sta&lg=all&qual=200&type=4&season=2018&month=0&season1=2000&ind=0&team=0&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0&sort=3,d

I kept on dropping the # of innings to see how far I had to go to find another starter other than Colon. I had to go all the way down to 20 IP minimum as a starter who broke the 80% barrier (the immortal Ben Diggins).

So yeah, he’s gonna need to lean on the slider and/or the changeup more. The other part of Eric’s write up was that the slider is actually pretty good but the changeup is not. But here’s the money quote from Eric’s article:

“It’s not easy to repeat a delivery that tests the upper bounds of one’s athleticism on every pitch. Peralta will spot his fastball and slider where the catcher requests semi-frequently, his worst struggles with control coming and going in waves, varying heavily from start to start.”

I don’t know what’s going to happen with this guy next, but whatever happens is going to be interesting.

A from Jeff:

Honestly, for right now, he strikes me as a right-handed version of 2017 Josh Hader. That version of Hader found his greatest success in the bullpen. That version of Hader also discovered a better slider in the 2017-2018 offseason and basically became perfect. Very interested to see what Peralta does over more starts, and how he does it. Threw almost nothing but fastballs in Colorado, but on the other hand, they gave him no reason to change things up.

I think he raises a valid point about Peralta out of the bullpen long term. Especially if there is a somewhat crowded rotation down the line.

Rooting against any prospect is stupid, even the ones you've traded away. But:

Lewis Brinson (MLB) - 40 G, 150 PA, .171/.221/.293, 39 wRC+, 4.7 BB%, 34.7 K%
Monte Harrison (AA) - 38 G, 160 PA, .243/.319/.444, 112 wRC+, 7.5 BB%, 38.1 K%
Isan Diaz (AA) - 36 G, 163 PA, .194/.321/.336, 87 wRC+, 15.3 BB%, 26.4 K%

Diaz is the same, but with less power. Brinson has been just as bad for Miami as he was for us in the big leagues last year. Harrison is above water in AA which bodes well, but striking out way too much.

• Like 1