The Milwaukee Brewers Thread - CY Burnes, 2021 NL Central Champs

ramssuperbowl99

6 minutes ago, bkobow05 said:

4 game lead thanks to #TheRoof too. 

Hopefully the bats stay hot through St. Louis. Would love to get 5 or 6 games up on them early since they're likely to be our biggest playoff competition (assuming the Cubs win the division again which is likely).

1 minute ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Hopefully the bats stay hot through St. Louis. Would love to get 5 or 6 games up on them early since they're likely to be our biggest playoff competition (assuming the Cubs win the division again which is likely).

Yeah, I'd like to gain some separation in the loss column as that's what really matters, obviously. I think we'll be fine though. Stearns will continue to make changes and I think we'll even see a move for a 2B at the deadline (Brian Dozier anyone?) or even a starting pitcher. We're making the damn playoffs.

Edited by bkobow05

On 5/26/2018 at 8:31 PM, bkobow05 said:

Speaking of Dozier...you think something like Brett Phillips, Kodi Medeiros and Trey Supak is too much for a rental?

If Dozier comes at a discount because we are the only contender (apart from the Diamondbacks) who needs a 2B, I'd be all over it. But we're going to have to beat the QO, and I don't know if that package is better. Phillips is interesting, but Medeiros is a LOOGY and Supak is a high 80's type velocity guy that doesn't move the needle that much. I will say whether it's Dozier or someone cheaper like Jed Lowrie, 2B is an easy upgrade spot.

This trade deadline season is really interesting. Going position by position:

C - Think we are going to stick with Pina. Only guy who would move the needle is JT Realmuto really. Otherwise, we're probably looking at upgrading the backup C if Nottingham isn't an option. 
1B - Nope
2B - We pretty much need to stick with a rental since we've got Hiura coming. So that leaves Dozier and Jed Lowrie. Maybe we fit in Josh Harrison (doubt the Pirates trade him in division) or Yangervis Solarte because they can also play 3B. Dozier was discussed above. Lowrie would be available for reasonably cheap.
SS - It's still Arcia.
3B - Nope.
OF - Nope.

SP - This is the one area I could see us maybe make an impact, but it's kind of a weird situation because we've got 2-3 additions already in-house between Jimmy Nelson coming back at the ASB or so, Corbin Burnes getting promoted at some point, and Brandon Woodruff. That doesn't even include Freddy Peralta, who I think would fit as a bullpen option better.

I don't think Anderson/Davies get bounced from the rotation any time soon and both Guerra/Chacin have earned some leash with decent performances recently. So even without Burnes we've got a "full", but upgradeable rotation. Eventually, I'd like to see Chacin move to the BP as a ROOGY or long man. Guerra could move there as well if his stuff ticks up. That would leave us with:

Nelson
Anderson
Burnes
Davies
Woodruff/Guerra/Addition

What I'm trying to get at here, is that we could probably get away with trading some of our upper minors pitching depth for an impact addition. I'd rather not move Burnes, but if the Brewers look at Woodruff as a RP or back-end starter and there is a way to get a Chris Archer or Kevin Gausman type without including Hiura, that's something we should really consider pulling the trigger on. If Mark A. is willing to take on payroll, we might be able to steal and fix Danny Duffy too.

BP - I really don't think we do much unless somebody gets hurt. Hader/Knebel/Jeffress is a top shelf back 3 and we could add Peralta to that mix without trading anybody.