The Milwaukee Brewers Thread - CY Burnes, 2021 NL Central Champs

ramssuperbowl99

37 minutes ago, bkobow05 said:

I mean, it makes some sense. Get Domingo some everyday playing time in Colorado. Only thing I dislike is that it means Eric Sogard is still on the damn team.

It does, I'm not saying it doesn't. But it's a shocking move. Domingo was a huge part of our team last year. 

There's a clear difference in Stearns' approach this year. Last year, we had a long leash for players who were long term building blocks, but this year if anyone isn't performing, they're getting sent down. Part of that scares me because that shift would also make you think that we'll be in for a big trade deadline acquisition, but it's also refreshing as a fan watching the day to day.

6 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

It does, I'm not saying it doesn't. But it's a shocking move. Domingo was a huge part of our team last year. 

There's a clear difference in Stearns' approach this year. Last year, we had a long leash for players who were long term building blocks, but this year if anyone isn't performing, they're getting sent down. Part of that scares me because that shift would also make you think that we'll be in for a big trade deadline acquisition, but it's also refreshing as a fan watching the day to day.

I'm alright with the change in approach. Expectations are different now. We have a shot at something and, as a small market team, you can't squander that opportunity. If he feels we need to make a big move at the deadline, I'm on board. 

Minor league, draft, and international update:

Draft

The first post in the thread is updated with all the draft signings announced so far, bonuses for (almost) everybody and sources for all the players we know aren't signing.

• Every top 10 pick is signed except Cipion and Turang. We're ~$660k underslot. The only unreported bonus is for Garabitos, who might have counted a little bit against our pool given his Miami commitment.
  • A lot of later round picks aren't going to sign:
    • Reese Olson (13)
    • Alec Barger (16)
    • Steven Hajjar (21)
    • Nander De Sedas (29)
    • Jonathan Cuevas (32)
    • Josh Watson (35)
    • Brandon Williamson (36)
    • Aiden Maldonado (38)
    • Wes Clarke (40)
  • I'd expect that not signed list to grow. We've only signed 7 of the guys after round 10 so far. That probably makes some sense given how much our farm system has expanded (I think we're coming up on 300 global players now). We may only end up signing half of the late round guys. 
  • 11th rounder Davis Daniel is currently pitching in the Cape Cod league, and has done really well, giving him some additional leverage in negotiations. He's signable, but apparently has a large number. We may be trying to play hard ball with Turang in order to make a mid- or high-6 figure offer to Daniel.

International FA

The first post is also updated with 2 new 2018 July 2 names (Erys Bautista and Carlos Roa). There's video of Bautista but I can't find anything on Roa.

Rookie Ball Stuff

Went over the Helena roster, and it's pretty similar to the opening day lineup. The only other players who are getting time are Leugim Castilla (17th rounder last year, and another 18 year old), plus the 2 backup Cs (David Fry who was drafted this year as a senior sign and Robie Rojas). The rotation is Max Lazar, Justin Bullock (16th round pick last year, 19), Wilfred Salaman (anonymous international signing), Victor Castaneda (Mexican league signing), and Scott Sunitsch (18th rounder this year). Aaron Ashby just made his debut, so he'll bump somebody out. Blake Lillis (25th rounder from last year that I still can't believe we signed) is piggybacking, so there's some prospects in the rotation even if that's somewhat disappointing.

I don't know what's going on with Caden Lemons or Brendan Murphy. Lemons is listed on the Wisconsin 7-day DL and Murphy is on the Carolina 7-day DL. Neither of those make sense. At least it's the 7-day DL and we don't have to worry about TJS.

Our AZL roster is...I don't have a nice way of saying this... bad. Nic Pierre is back here after spending last year in Helena, which means either the Brewers think really highly of Abreu/Lujano/Ward or Pierre isn't a prospect (probably both tbh). Micah Bello is here, and hitting .389/.421/.611 through 4 games. So that's a win. But how a lot of the other guys were acquired is...well, yeesh:

• C - Alex Hall - Australian, 2017 signing
  • 1B - Ernesto Martinez - $800k Cuban signing
  • 2B - Edwin Sano - 2015 LA signing, no bonus reported
  • SS - Oreveo Saint - 2017 LA signing, no bonus reported
  • 3B - Aaron Familia - 2015 LA signing, no bonus reported
  • LF - Nic Pierre - see above
  • CF - Micah Bello - stud
  • RF - Anderson Melendez - 2016 LA signing, relatively highly regarded

The pitching is honestly even worse. Of everyone who has pitched, there's exactly 4 teenagers: Michele Vassalotti, Brayan Salava, Karlos Morales, and Cam Robinson The former 2 are completely unknown LA signings. The latter 2 were picked after round 20 in last years draft and are repeating the level.

Thankfully, it's going to get better. The OF is going to get Joe Gray and Arbert Cipion. Turang is going to play SS. Justin Jarvis and Luis Gonzalez will be in the rotation. Maybe a few promotions from DSL guys (Carlos Rodriguez please). Maybe we sign Elijah Cabel too (that's a weird situation, he's an LSU commit but apparently got released from his LOI). But man that's not good for a low level rookie league team. Part of that is because the Helena roster is loaded, but still.

Promotions/Other Assignments

Devin Williams is healthy and is at High A.
Nick Ramirez (the LHP version) went from AA to AAA. 
Jake Hager went from AA to AAA. Former 1st round pick who got cut, and is killing it.
Max McDowell went from A+ to AA.
@bkobow05 get excited the DemiGawd went from A to A+.
Marcos Diplan went from A+ to AA.
JT Hintzen (10th round senior sign) from Helena to A.

Edited by ramssuperbowl99
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, bkobow05 said:

How in the blue hell do we send Peralta back down or out of the rotation? It makes no sense at this rate. The kid is damn good.

He's our best starting pitcher until Nelson comes back. If we can't deal with bad performances from Orlando Arcia and Domingo Santana because we need the best guys out there today, Peralta has to be in the rotation.

2 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

He's our best starting pitcher until Nelson comes back. If we can't deal with bad performances from Orlando Arcia and Domingo Santana because we need the best guys out there today, Peralta has to be in the rotation.

Yep. There's no way we can justify taking him out of the rotation.