The Milwaukee Brewers Thread - CY Burnes, 2021 NL Central Champs

ramssuperbowl99

1 hour ago, hrubes20 said:

I've looked at a bunch of mock drafts from all over, and the guys I routinely see mocked to the Brewers are Dillon Dingler (80 grade name) and college pitchers like Cole Wilcox, Clayton Beeter, and Carmen Mlodzinski.  Probably meaningless, but those are at least some names to research.  

I have no interest in Dingler and that pick would piss me off as much as our Corey Ray pick. I don't see a first round talent. I'd rather have the kid from Arizona even if he won't stick behind the plate. At least he can friggin' hit. 

1 hour ago, beekay414 said:

I have no interest in Dingler and that pick would piss me off as much as our Corey Ray pick. I don't see a first round talent. I'd rather have the kid from Arizona even if he won't stick behind the plate. At least he can friggin' hit. 

Just depends on how much stock you put in his shortened junior season.  Dude was raking and has legit defensive chops.  I like him a lot more than that tier of collegiate pitchers.  I'm really hoping the Cubs avoid that tier.   

1 hour ago, hrubes20 said:

Just depends on how much stock you put in his shortened junior season.  Dude was raking and has legit defensive chops.  I like him a lot more than that tier of collegiate pitchers.  I'm really hoping the Cubs avoid that tier.   

Not gonna put any stock in a 13 game SS. He hit some as a sophomore but with little to no power so that's what I'll base it on. He's gotten Sean Murphy comps but I don't see it. Even if Murphy doesn't hit, he's a GG caliber C behind the plate. Aren't there durability concerns as far as Dingler staying behind the dish? 

I don't know. I'd rather take a chance on Casey Martin than Dingler. Even if Martin doesn't stick at SS, he's sticking in center. He has 25-25 upside as well. Don't understand why he's not getting more hype. Yeah, he gets homer happy but he still produces despite the K numbers. I don't think it's a contact problem, I think it's something that can be coached out of him. Even if it can't, Ks are part of the game now. 

19 hours ago, beekay414 said:

Not gonna put any stock in a 13 game SS. He hit some as a sophomore but with little to no power so that's what I'll base it on. He's gotten Sean Murphy comps but I don't see it. Even if Murphy doesn't hit, he's a GG caliber C behind the plate. Aren't there durability concerns as far as Dingler staying behind the dish? 

I don't know. I'd rather take a chance on Casey Martin than Dingler. Even if Martin doesn't stick at SS, he's sticking in center. He has 25-25 upside as well. Don't understand why he's not getting more hype. Yeah, he gets homer happy but he still produces despite the K numbers. I don't think it's a contact problem, I think it's something that can be coached out of him. Even if it can't, Ks are part of the game now. 

That's fair to disregard the dozen or so games this year.  But I think Dingler hit really well in a wood bat summer league as well.  I haven't seen any concerns about Dingler behind the plate, just that he's so athletic that some people think it may make sense to have him play plenty of OF to keep his bat in the lineup.  

If Martin had a chance to play all season this year and was able to drop that K rate, I could like him as a prospect.  But without that benefit, you have a guy with good, not plus, power and a collegiate K rate of almost 23%.  That's a really bad recipe, unless your development team has identified a flaw in the swing that should be easy to fix.  

9 hours ago, hrubes20 said:

That's fair to disregard the dozen or so games this year.  But I think Dingler hit really well in a wood bat summer league as well.  I haven't seen any concerns about Dingler behind the plate, just that he's so athletic that some people think it may make sense to have him play plenty of OF to keep his bat in the lineup. 

Gotcha.

9 hours ago, hrubes20 said:

If Martin had a chance to play all season this year and was able to drop that K rate, I could like him as a prospect.  But without that benefit, you have a guy with good, not plus, power and a collegiate K rate of almost 23%.  That's a really bad recipe, unless your development team has identified a flaw in the swing that should be easy to fix.  

Wasn't his bat considered raw coming into college? I think it's a teachable thing tbh. All reports I've read say he gets homer happy and it effects his swing. I feel that's a trait that you can coach out of a kid. You can't teach his raw tools tho. His upside is tremendous if it all clicks. The speed and athleticism is outstanding. He's got a shot to stick in the INF (possibly 3rd) otherwise you move him to CF. I like the kid and I hope like hell people have concerns and he falls to our 2nd rounder. Doubtful, as I think someone in the backend of the 1st will scoop him.

On 6/5/2020 at 9:40 PM, beekay414 said:

Gotcha.

Wasn't his bat considered raw coming into college? I think it's a teachable thing tbh. All reports I've read say he gets homer happy and it effects his swing. I feel that's a trait that you can coach out of a kid. You can't teach his raw tools tho. His upside is tremendous if it all clicks. The speed and athleticism is outstanding. He's got a shot to stick in the INF (possibly 3rd) otherwise you move him to CF. I like the kid and I hope like hell people have concerns and he falls to our 2nd rounder. Doubtful, as I think someone in the backend of the 1st will scoop him.

Yeah, he looks destined to be a comp round/early 2nd rounder to me.  Tough to see him lasting to the 50's.  He could have in a normal year, but you have to imagine he will get a boost since teams have been able to see him more than the prep players.  

• Like 1

Not sure how I feel about the Mitchell pick. 

We 100% wanted PCA. We took the clock all the way down before pulling the trigger on Mitchell. 

I've lost all faith in our drafting and developing btw. Just looking through the last decade of drafting and it's pathetic. 

8 hours ago, umphrey said:

What’s not to love?  He was getting mocked a lot higher, great tools, productive in college, CF prospect fits great in our system. 

Also "LH OF who may need a swing change to get to his raw power".

Given the circumstances, I think we should be thrilled with the pick.

This is random, but we're also the team that drafted Dylan Covey and when we found out he had Type 1 diabetes still wanted to sign him, so you have to imagine our medical/training staff are comfortable with taking another Type 1 diabetic.

And now we took a plus defensive SS with offensive upside who was still here because he tore his ACL.

Love this draft.