The Milwaukee Brewers Thread - CY Burnes, 2021 NL Central Champs

ramssuperbowl99

13 hours ago, titans0021 said:

Pulls starter that has allowed one run after 74 pitchers and then uses Devin Williams and Jay Jackson in the ninth inning of a one-run game. Really good stuff.

What was up with Schildt using Miller and Martinez in a 10 run game?  Would have been sweet justice to see them blow last night's game.  But of course he gets away with the idiocy.

Really wonder what we're going to do at C, 3B, 1B and SS next season. Grandal, Thames and Moose are FAs. Arcia's had 3 years of burn at SS and he's looking more and more like he's not the answer. Continually loses playing time to guys like Eric Sogard, Hernan Perez and Tyler Saladino, which tells me we need to address the position, soon. Turang, if he even hits, is so far away that we're looking at platoon or split playing time at SS with Arcia and bargain bin guys like we've been doing until Arcia hits free agency.

I'll be pretty disappointed if our opening day starters at C, 1B, SS and 3B are Pina, Braun, Arcia/Perez and Shaw but it's what I fully expect.

Edited by beekay414

I know it's always revisionist history but, and I'm not going to go on any huge stretches here either where I take someone that went like 5 rounds later or something, we've missed so much on draft picks lately, it's killing us. First two or three picks only (depends on competitive balance picks).

1st Round
Took: Brice Turang, SS, Santiago HS (CA)
Should've Taken: Nico Hoerner, SS, Stanford
Why: When the position is hurting and you're in a "win now" window, I feel like you take the more advanced bat here. Neither have hit for much power but Hoerner definitely has more room to grow in that department than Turang. That and I absolutely hate Turang's slap hitting approach. Both are questionable fits at SS long term so it's not like that was a deciding factor. Hoerner's definitely the better athlete. I get that Turang was the guy for a long time in the 2018 draft and we were fine with it but, looking at the position on the big league club, I would've rather gone with the guy that can get through the system faster.

2nd Round
Took: Joe Gray, OF, Hattiesburg HS (MS)
Should've Taken: Alek Thomas, OF, Mount Carmel HS (IL)
Why: Thomas had an advanced bat for his age despite being a cold weather guy and Joe Gray was your typical "45 grade" bat that the Brewers like that they can't develop for ****. They went with the "safe" HS bat in round one with Turang but then took the questionable hit tool athlete in the 2nd? Make up your damn minds. Thomas is friggin' raking and Joe Gray can't even hit .190. Thomas was also the more highly thought of prospect and both went for similar money so that also wasn't an issue. Just a complete miss by the Brewers.

1st Round
Took: Keston Hiura, 2B, UC-Irvine
Should've Taken: Keston Hiura, 2B, UC-Irvine
Why: This is the one pick we've absolutely nailed in recent years. Kid is a franchise bat already.

Lottery Round
Took: Tristen Lutz, OF, Martin HS (TX)
Should've Taken: Tristen Lutz, OF, Martin HS (TX)
Why: I could've said Drew Waters due to the prospect pedigree but Lutz was the right pick at the time.

2nd Round
Took: Caden Lemons, RHP, Vestavia Hills HS (CA)
Should've Taken: Griffin Canning, RHP, UCLA
Why: It definitely wasn't a slot reason, as we paid Lemons more than Canning got from the Angels. Canning was vastly more well thought of and was an advanced arm at the time (much like Burnes and Small). He fit right in with what we had been doing with our pitching and we decided to go with the projectable HS arm instead. Could really use Canning right now.

1st Round
Took: Corey Ray, OF, Louisville
Should've Taken: AJ Puk, LHP, Florida
Why: Do I even need to explain this one? NONE of us wanted Ray and a ******* ace prospect fell in our laps and we went with friggin' OF that can't hit Wright State pitching, let alone MLB pitching. This pick just pisses me off to no end.

2nd Round
Took: Lucas Erceg, 3B, Menlo College
Should've Taken: Nolan Jones, 3B, Holy Ghost Prep (PA) - Overslot | Sheldon Neuse, 3B, Oklahoma - slot/underslot
Why: Jones was highly regarded and is a OBP monster. We only went overslot for Payton Henry in the first 10 rounds and we gave Chad McClanahan over $1 Million afterwards. That money could've went directly to Jones instead as the slot value was $1.386 Million and Jones signed with Cleveland for $2.25 Million. If we wanted to stay underslot or at slot, we could've went with Sheldon Neuse. I'm sure Erceg got the edge because of his fielding and being a LH bat but Neuse can hit and Erceg has posted a 68 wRC+ in AAA this season.

Edited by beekay414

• 2 weeks later...