The Milwaukee Brewers Thread - CY Burnes, 2021 NL Central Champs

ramssuperbowl99

20 minutes ago, hrubes20 said:

He would be a really good fit for that team, IMO.  He seems to be at his best when managing the really young guys. 

He's a good manager period. Without knowing any of the backstory or how this has gone down behind the scenes, I can't speak to whether it's a good move or not definitely. But to an outsider, the Cubs getting rid of him feels like change for the sake of change. 

1 hour ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

He's a good manager period. Without knowing any of the backstory or how this has gone down behind the scenes, I can't speak to whether it's a good move or not definitely. But to an outsider, the Cubs getting rid of him feels like change for the sake of change. 

He's really good at managing a clubhouse; especially with young guys and building up their confidence.  He may be the best in the business at that aspect.  His in-game managing is only average though, IMO.  With a veteran clubhouse, it's my guess that the FO realizes that the team needs much more of the latter.   

8 hours ago, beekay414 said:

@Pugger Feeling better now? 5 up with 5 to go.

Absolutely incredible that this team could realistically win 90 games with a pitching staff that was mostly shambles, our best hitter out for the stretch run, our only good starter out for 2 months, etc. etc. etc.

A lot of it is luck, but still crazy.

11 hours ago, beekay414 said:

71537734_2575919185798098_61603696166913

Since it's now happened 2 years in a row, can we officially make this a thing?

It doesn't really apply to this year.  The Cubs just simply collapsed in September.  The Mets have also passed them in the WC standings and the Dbacks likely will as well.  If pains me to say it, but it was the damn Cardinals that took the hatchet to the Cubs this year.

But it will be interesting in 2020 to see how big of an effect the smaller September rosters have on the Brewers.  It's my opinion that they have been so good in September the past 2 years because they can much more easily afford to yank their iffy SP after 3-4 innings when there are 15 relievers available in the bullpen.  You can't do that multiple times each week from April-August and be successful.  Of course a lot of it is luck as well, given the absurd 1 run game record, but it may be less luck than usual in 1 run game results.

54 minutes ago, hrubes20 said:

It doesn't really apply to this year.  The Cubs just simply collapsed in September.  The Mets have also passed them in the WC standings and the Dbacks likely will as well.  If pains me to say it, but it was the damn Cardinals that took the hatchet to the Cubs this year.

But it will be interesting in 2020 to see how big of an effect the smaller September rosters have on the Brewers.  It's my opinion that they have been so good in September the past 2 years because they can much more easily afford to yank their iffy SP after 3-4 innings when there are 15 relievers available in the bullpen.  You can't do that multiple times each week from April-August and be successful.  Of course a lot of it is luck as well, given the absurd 1 run game record, but it may be less luck than usual in 1 run game results.

giphy.gif

1 hour ago, hrubes20 said:

It certainly can be applied when you're 5 games up with a month to go and then you get buried with a week remaining. Don't try to take this one from us. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

It certainly can be applied when you're 5 games up with a month to go and then you get buried with a week remaining. Don't try to take this one from us. 

The Cubs have lost 8 in a row (4 of which against the terrible Pirates and Reds).  In September.  When they theoretically could have made the playoffs still.  This has extremely little to do with the Brewers, and everything to do with the Cubs playing terribly.  The Brewers could have literally played .500 ball the past 8 games and still made up 4 games in the standings.  I know you guys want to paint yourselves as some scrappy, clutch David that took down Goliath, but it just didn't happen.  Goliath was wearing size 9 shoes on his size 15 feet and tripped, fell, and smashed his head against a boulder.