The Milwaukee Brewers Thread - CY Burnes, 2021 NL Central Champs

ramssuperbowl99

This is interesting for a bunch of reasons.

1. We don't think Villar is the future at 2B and are going to upgrade him. That's a good thing.

2. Keston and Isan are probably ready around 2019, which is when Kinsler's extension runs out. 

3. How we would deal with Kinsler's no-trade clause is an interesting thought exercise. Usually you could get a guy to waive it by guaranteeing his option, but Kinsler's deal is really team-friendly on the back end ($10M option with a $5M buyout next year). Maybe we make that a guaranteed year at $15M and stick another team option on the year after that?

4. The Tigers need to cut payroll and we can add to it.  I'd take Anibal Sanchez ($16M prorated this year and a $5M buyout) for sure. The other guys (Victor Martinez is owed $18M prorated this year and $18M next year, Jordan Zimmerman is owed like $90M in total and is completely non-tradeable) I probably wouldn't. If they give Kinsler away in exchange for us to take on VMart and DFA him (while also throwing in a little bit of cash), that might be interesting though.

1 hour ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Good move. Let him figure it out at AAA and see if we can restore any trade value.

Yup. Had to be done. Something clicked for him the last time he was sent down last year, need to just hope he can figure it out. When you're trying to be a contender, you can't be throwing out someone that's hitting like a pitcher every day.

4 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

This is interesting for a bunch of reasons.

1. We don't think Villar is the future at 2B and are going to upgrade him. That's a good thing.

2. Keston and Isan are probably ready around 2019, which is when Kinsler's extension runs out. 

3. How we would deal with Kinsler's no-trade clause is an interesting thought exercise. Usually you could get a guy to waive it by guaranteeing his option, but Kinsler's deal is really team-friendly on the back end ($10M option with a $5M buyout next year). Maybe we make that a guaranteed year at $15M and stick another team option on the year after that?

4. The Tigers need to cut payroll and we can add to it.  I'd take Anibal Sanchez ($16M prorated this year and a $5M buyout) for sure. The other guys (Victor Martinez is owed $18M prorated this year and $18M next year, Jordan Zimmerman is owed like $90M in total and is completely non-tradeable) I probably wouldn't. If they give Kinsler away in exchange for us to take on VMart and DFA him (while also throwing in a little bit of cash), that might be interesting though.

I just read that he is only going to waive his NTC if the team that trades for him gives him an extension.  This to me is a no go on that front.  As @bkobow05 said in an earlier post I think Huira is a really fast riser in the system and he will be ready soon. 

Crasnik tweeted something out about Phillips being available and if the brewers are serious they should look into him.  I am not sure how NTCs go but I am pretty sure he still has one if I am not mistaken and I don't really think he would waive it to come here.

3 hours ago, SplashDive said:

I just read that he is only going to waive his NTC if the team that trades for him gives him an extension.  This to me is a no go on that front.  As @bkobow05 said in an earlier post I think Huira is a really fast riser in the system and he will be ready soon. 

Crasnik tweeted something out about Phillips being available and if the brewers are serious they should look into him.  I am not sure how NTCs go but I am pretty sure he still has one if I am not mistaken and I don't really think he would waive it to come here.

Yeah that would make it tough given his age. I'd be okay with Phillips or Howie Kendrick as a low cost rental.