The Milwaukee Brewers Thread - CY Burnes, 2021 NL Central Champs

ramssuperbowl99

18 hours ago, beekay414 said:

I'm just hoping we actually do something legit. If our goal is to bargain bin shop again, we aren't making the playoffs. 

The only way I accept a ****ty off-season is if we extend Yelich for life. 

We have other needs right now rather than to extend Yeli.  We need infield help and starting pitching so we can actually do something while we have a generational player like CY.  We can extend Yelich next year.

C - Pina
1B - Braun
2B - Hiura
3B - Shaw
SS - Arcia
LF - Grisham/Yelich
CF - Cain
RF - Grisham/Yelich

Yeah, that's not a playoff team next season. I get that we made the playoffs in 2018 with a very similar lineup but we also had an absurdly good bullpen and some pitchers pitch out their rear ends that likely don't do that again. We also had a 134 wRC+ 1B that carried us for a month lol. Was a perfect storm. They absolutely need to do something. If they sit on that playoff money from the last two years, I'll be a little pissed.

Edited by beekay414

5 hours ago, beekay414 said:

C - Pina
1B - Braun
2B - Hiura
3B - Shaw
SS - Arcia
LF - Grisham/Yelich
CF - Cain
RF - Grisham/Yelich

Yeah, that's not a playoff team next season. I get that we made the playoffs in 2018 with a very similar lineup but we also had an absurdly good bullpen and some pitchers pitch out their rear ends that likely don't do that again. We also had a 134 wRC+ 1B that carried us for a month lol. Was a perfect storm. They absolutely need to do something. If they sit on that playoff money from the last two years, I'll be a little pissed.

I think it’s safe to assume that that won’t be our lineup next year 

On 11/23/2019 at 7:48 AM, Pugger said:

We have other needs right now rather than to extend Yeli.  We need infield help and starting pitching so we can actually do something while we have a generational player like CY.  We can extend Yelich next year.

I don't know if we necessarily "can" just extend Yelich next year. It's a risk you're taking that he'd still be okay foregoing free agency one year closer by not going full out to extend him this offseason.

At the end of the day, he's a Hall of Fame player who it seems like we have a chance to sign to a lifetime contract. We have had 2 of those in our entire history. With Stearns, I trust him to find some under the radar guys who can punch above their weight class, but it is not the time to dawdle with getting Yelich locked down for life.

16 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

And with Stearns' track record, they'd put up 5 combined WAR.

The 3 positions combined? Maybe. Definitely not SS if we're looking at Arcia and Mark Mathias lol.

I dunno. I just want Didi. You know I've been a Didi guy for a long time. Hell, I believe you were the guy I traded Trout for Didi, Upton and Addison Reed. God, what a bad trade from me lol. Well, maybe not. Probably someone else as you were the Carlos Gomez, Matt Harvey and someone else for Trout deal.

MLBTR pegged Josh Donaldson for 3 years/$75 Million. You think we could pull that off? They pegged Didi for 3/42. There's absolutely no reason we couldn't make that happen.

Obviously, guys would need to sign here but there's no reason we couldn't pull off this set of signings this year without hindering future spending...

C Jason Castro - 2 years, $10 Million
1B Howie Kendrick - 2 years, $12 Million
SS Didi Gregorius - 3 years, $42 Million
3B Mike Moustakas - 2 years, $20 Million

As far as pitchers go, we could gamble on the guys that need bounce back years on 1 year prove it deals like Alex Wood. I dunno, I'm just spitballing. I think we could put together a legitimate squad without committing too many resources down the line. None of those deals would hinder us at all IMO. It's $35 Million for four quality players at positions of need. 

C - Castro vs RHP/Pina vs LHP platoon
1B - Kendrick and Braun platoon (yes I know they are both RHB)
2B - Hiura
3B - Moustakas
SS - Gregorius
LF - Yelich/Grisham/Braun
CF - Cain
RF - Yelich/Grisham

Edited by beekay414

I...uh...I don't get it. I mean, I guess I do considering Urias's pedigree and team control but he's a light hitting 2B/SS tweener that hasn't proven he can hit in the bigs and Lauer is, I guess, a more upside LHP version of Davies...

Edited by beekay414

I kind of love it.  I don't think either side stole the show in terms of value but

We sold high on Grisham

Urias helps us more than Grisham next year

Lauer's profile (higher strike outs, lefty, MiLB options) plays well on our team and in Miller Park I think

• Like 1