The Milwaukee Brewers Thread - CY Burnes, 2021 NL Central Champs

ramssuperbowl99

1 hour ago, titanrick said:

Is a .998 OPS considered "light hitting" in the PCL?  Serious question...

Is there any chance we consider moving Hiura to 1B since his defense is so wretched at 2B?  Or are they thinking he grows out of it?

I dont think his power is what his PCL numbers show. Then again, you never know anymore. His tools just haven't translated yet but he's still young. 

No. We're not moving Hiura off 2B. Urias is our SS. 

2 hours ago, beekay414 said:

I dont think his power is what his PCL numbers show. Then again, you never know anymore. His tools just haven't translated yet but he's still young. 

No. We're not moving Hiura off 2B. Urias is our SS. 

I think you’re definitely underselling Urias’ offense. He’s closer to Albies than Iglesias.

On 11/27/2019 at 6:22 PM, Herbie_Hancock said:

Love it. 

I do too, for several reasons.

1. We sold high on Grisham and bought low on Urias. 

6 months ago, Urias was a consensus top 20 prospect in baseball, and Grisham was an afterthought. Had this deal been proposed then, we'd be doing cartwheels. Obviously, stuff happened since then, but in general buying low and selling high is a good strategy.
  2. Grisham probably needed a fresh start

That error was a big deal. There are some mistakes that guys can get over, and while that wasn't Rick Ankiel or anything and I feel for the guy, it makes a lot of sense solely from a mental standpoint that we move on and let him start somewhere new.
  3. We're betting on Urias being serviceable at SS through positioning

More teams are playing guys who aren't actual shortstops physically at SS, either due to range or size or whatever, but getting enough out of them solely through shifts, offensive production, and a focus on strikeouts/popups instead of ground balls. We're going down that same path. Arcia's defense was awesome, but our best pitchers are all FB/K guys.
  4. Urias can hit, and the low power ceiling might not be that low

Check out Longenhagen's breakdown of the deal (https://blogs.fangraphs.com/analyzing-the-brewers-and-padres-swap-of-young-big-leaguers/) - he's 100% right that there are guys who show bat to ball skills that find completely unexplainable power later on. Urias is already walking at a solid clip, if there's any power breakout he's a complete offensive player with his hitting ability.
  5.  Zach Davies sucks

I prefer Lauer to Davies straight up, and that's before you get into the counting stats that would have overpaid Davies in his last 2 years of arbitration, versus the 4 years of team control for Lauer. Lauer's performance has been about as good as Davies', but he's 2 years younger, left handed, throws harder, gives up fewer GBs (so he's a better fit for our bad IF defense), and should be a better fit for Miller Park. It's not a big deal either way, because neither has shown the ability to miss bats, but going into this type of trade you'd expect the Brewers to have to toss in the more valuable secondary piece, not the Padres.

My only reservation with this deal is why the Padres sold so low on Urias. They know more about him than anybody else, so that's troubling, but it's part of buying low.

Damn good deal.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/12/brewers-willing-to-listen-on-josh-hader-trade.html

Available, but no deal close.

I think this tells us the Brewers are probably headed for a preemptive rebuild + attempted lifetime Yelich contract instead of going all-in.

EDIT: 

It goes without saying, but the haul would be ridiculous. 2.5 years of Andrew Miller got the Indians fringe top 25 prospect Clint Frazier and top 100 prospect Justus Sheffield, plus 2 more guys. The price would be higher than that. 

4 years of Edwin Diaz got the Mariners a top 50-ish prospect in Jared Kelenic, a top 100 prospect in Dunn, and a ridiculous amount of salary relief from Robinson Cano's deal. The Brewers don't need salary relief, so you can imagine where the price goes from there.

Edited by ramssuperbowl99

We clearly still have an incomplete roster at 1b,3b,c,sp so I think it would be smart to deal Hader to fill 2 positions and a respectable 3rd piece. Some combo from the Mets of Smith, McNeil, Thor, Davis would be nice but I'm not sure they would trade so much out of their starting lineup. 

2 hours ago, umphrey said:

We clearly still have an incomplete roster at 1b,3b,c,sp so I think it would be smart to deal Hader to fill 2 positions and a respectable 3rd piece. Some combo from the Mets of Smith, McNeil, Thor, Davis would be nice but I'm not sure they would trade so much out of their starting lineup. 

That's not going to work because if you make a deal for Hader, it's to win now, so you need the other pieces. Any Hader deal is going to be an all-in move from another team for high level prospects.

Also, 

Good for Moose man. He finally gets made whole after getting jerked around by the MLB FA system for 2 years.

2 hours ago, umphrey said:

McNeil and JD Davis would fill the lineup (minus catcher) with no money spent. Leaves a ton of money for pitching and/or yelich