The Milwaukee Brewers Thread - CY Burnes, 2021 NL Central Champs

ramssuperbowl99

1 hour ago, Slinky said:

Craig pulls Chacin too soon. Pulls Hader too soon. Goes to Cedeno, then Jeffress? Terrible management. 

That's kinda like shooting fish in a barrel, complaining someone got pulled too soon.  You're never proven wrong by the hits they were about to give up.

Neither Chacin nor Hader had their A game tonight.  In the end, the bats stayed silent and two pitches beat us.  Damn shame.

2 hours ago, Slinky said:

Craig pulls Chacin too soon. Pulls Hader too soon. Goes to Cedeno, then Jeffress? Terrible management. 

Chacin didn't have it but I think Craig put Hader in too soon.  We had other options other than Cedeno and Jeffress.  But when you can only score one stinkin' run you aren't gonna win a lot of games.

58 minutes ago, titanrick said:

That's kinda like shooting fish in a barrel, complaining someone got pulled too soon.  You're never proven wrong by the hits they were about to give up.

Neither Chacin nor Hader had their A game tonight.  In the end, the bats stayed silent and two pitches beat us.  Damn shame.

Hader was fine.  He shut them down.  What we need going forward is better starting pitching.  Perhaps Woodruff and Burnes are the future.  You don't want to have Chacin as your 'ace'.

Our hitting with RISP has been an issue all season and really came back to bite us in the keister again.  I won't weep if CC gets another hitting coach for 2019.

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

Hell of a ride gents. Gave away 2 we shouldn't have and couldn't hit. Hurts but I don't think anyone is beating that Boston team.

Yes, even if we had won tonight that Boston team would have swept us in 4 and will do the same to the Dodgers this coming week.

7 hours ago, Pugger said:

Hader was fine.  He shut them down.  What we need going forward is better starting pitching.  Perhaps Woodruff and Burnes are the future.  You don't want to have Chacin as your 'ace'. Our hitting with RISP has been an issue all season and really came back to bite us in the keister again.  I won't weep if CC gets another hitting coach for 2019.

RISP is a critical stat IMO and best I can tell its not kept in most data.
As a NYY fan I was most critical of the teams performance in that area. Odd to complain that the team with the most home runs - and the second amount of runs scored - was faulty getting a guy in from 2nd base - but the eighth team in home runs lead the league in scoring and is going to the WS. Its not Milwaukee's problem but having a lineup of guys continually swinging for the seats - when a cut down swing and single to the opposite field will do - can have its downsides. 

Cant say I watched MIL closely during the season - but from what I've seen late season and during these playoffs - its obviously a good club and should contend in the Central for years to come. CHI and STL are mainstay teams with long histories that wont suffer extended downslides - so it will make for some competitive baseball - which is what you want.

13 hours ago, Pugger said:

What we need going forward is better starting pitching.  Perhaps Woodruff and Burnes are the future.  You don't want to have Chacin as your 'ace'.

Exactly right which is why I cringe when the media says things like "Counsell got outmanaged" and "He's going to his bullpen too early".  Chacin wasn't "on" last night and he does not have the stuff to survive without his A game.  No problem with pulling him when we did.  Hader wasn't as dominant as he has been.  3 IP and only 4 Ks.  That last inning he threw a 93 mph fastball.  I don't think a fourth inning would have ended well, not to mention making him hit which is an automatic out.

We don't have money to throw at the Arrietas and Lesters and Darvishs of the world.  We had no starters this year.  Chacin and Miley?  That's seriously an NLCS starting rotation?!?  Yet we made it to Game 7 and lost on two bad pitches.  If Counsell manages this team like he "should have" we probably finish 10 games back of the Cubs.  Next year may be a different story.  Thinking of Woodruff, Burnes, Nelson, Chacin, Peralta and all the other options we may have, we can field a decent starting rotation.  It's hard for me to believe this is an unpopular take, but I think Counsell did the best he could with what he had.  Very pleased he's our manager.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, titanrick said:

Exactly right which is why I cringe when the media says things like "Counsell got outmanaged" and "He's going to his bullpen too early".  Chacin wasn't "on" last night and he does not have the stuff to survive without his A game.  No problem with pulling him when we did.  Hader wasn't as dominant as he has been.  3 IP and only 4 Ks.  That last inning he threw a 93 mph fastball.  I don't think a fourth inning would have ended well, not to mention making him hit which is an automatic out.

We don't have money to throw at the Arrietas and Lesters and Darvishs of the world.  We had no starters this year.  Chacin and Miley?  That's seriously an NLCS starting rotation?!?  Yet we made it to Game 7 and lost on two bad pitches.  If Counsell manages this team like he "should have" we probably finish 10 games back of the Cubs.  Next year may be a different story.  Thinking of Woodruff, Burnes, Nelson, Chacin, Peralta and all the other options we may have, we can field a decent starting rotation.  It's hard for me to believe this is an unpopular take, but I think Counsell did the best he could with what he had.  Very pleased he's our manager.

I had some complaints about Counsell’s bullpen management in the regular season. I had very few complaints about his management in the postseason. Other than having Schoop on the 25-man.