The Milwaukee Brewers Thread - CY Burnes, 2021 NL Central Champs

ramssuperbowl99

@ramssuperbowl99 what would you give up for Brandon Crawford? 31 years old, he's owed $45 Million over the next 3 years after 2018. Also, what would be your deadline plan to address SS and C? I'm good with Miller at 2B.

@Forge Are you hearing anything in regards to what the Giants are looking to do and what would it take to pull him? He's really the only option that's truly a worthy upgrade that could potentially be on the market at SS. Machado is a pipe dream AND a rental so that doesn't necessarily make sense from our standpoint. Jose Iglesias is another one but he's really not an offensive threat that we'd need.

Edited by bkobow05

34 minutes ago, bkobow05 said:

We've got 9 of our top 10 picks signed so we have ~$4 Million to give Turang without losing a draft pick, $3.6 without any type of penalty (which is $600,000 over slot).

I don't think that's the battle. If the Brewers offered $4M to Turang today he'd sign it immediately. The Brewers are trying to save enough to sign Daniel too, and Turang is holding out for some amount above slot that we can't fit Daniel in with.

I'm assuming we're confident Turang blinks.

21 minutes ago, bkobow05 said:

@ramssuperbowl99 what would you give up for Brandon Crawford? 31 years old, he's owed $45 Million over the next 3 years after 2018. Also, what would be your deadline plan to address SS and C? I'm good with Miller at 2B.

@Forge Are you hearing anything in regards to what the Giants are looking to do and what would it take to pull him? He's really the only option that's truly a worthy upgrade that could potentially be on the market at SS. Machado is a pipe dream AND a rental so that doesn't necessarily make sense from our standpoint. Jose Iglesias is another one but he's really not an offensive threat that we'd need.

The package would be around Orlando Arcia.

2 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

The package would be around Orlando Arcia.

Interesting. I still think we'll go after Jed Lowrie and hope that the trio of Lowrie/Miller/Saladino can hold down the fort at SS well enough to not suck defensively. Saladino is by far the best defensive option there out of the 3 with both Miller and Lowrie being abominations the last few extended stays at SS.

The thing about getting Lowrie would mean we could move on from Sogard and Perez finally. Saladino replaces Sogard and Lowrie replaces Perez. Saladino can play 3B well enough should Shaw need a break there. Saladino and Miller also have the flexibility of moving to the OF. 

Demote Arcia, allowing him to play an everyday role and get his hitting in order while bringing in a back-up defensive SS (Hecchavaria?) for a bench role or just keep Villar there. Bring back Luc in the Lowrie trade too.

C - Lucroy/Pina
1B - Aguilar/Thames
2B - Lowrie/Miller/Villar
3B - Shaw/Saladino
SS - Saladino/Villar (or defensive vet)
LF - Braun/Yelich
CF - Cain/Broxton/Yelich
RF - Yelich/Thames/Broxton

That's 13 bats which still leaves us with the 7 bullpen spots that we rotate with MiLB options.

Edited by bkobow05

2 hours ago, bkobow05 said:

Right now, I think the Giants are going to stand pat. They won't sell at this point, but they can't afford to buy without hitting the luxury tax (they are only a few hundred thousand below). The problem is that they've been treading water around .500, and they've had a bunch of injuries (Madbum missed the beginning of the year, Cueto and Shark have missed most of the season, Belt missed time with appendectomy, and now Strickland is on the DL and Longoria is on the DL). So I think the execs are thinking that the team is actually better than they are. Personally, I think they are about an 81 win team regardless of the health. 

I think this week's series will go a long way in determining what they do. The division has seem to more realistic than the WC, given the bodies that they have to climb over. Right now they are about 5.5 back i the division I think, so if AZ goes out and sweeps them and pushes them 8 back, I think that they start considering selling off pieces, but right now, at this moment, I'd guess that they stand pat. 

The problem is, I don't know that they sell off crawford even if they decide to sell. Cutch, Tony Watson, Hernandez, Hundley, some of the other relievers are more likely to go. I just can't remember the last time the team sold off a home grown part, even when they've been awful. Personally, I would, but I've been calling for some sell off for a couple of years now because the immediate future isn't all that bright given the state of the farm system and the aging components in the every day lineup. Belt and Crawford are pretty ideal candidates to move given that their contracts aren't albatrosses (I believe they make 15 & 16 / year respectively which is easily acceptable given what they produce). They are maybe one year too long, but that's hardly the worst thing ever (I think they both have 3 years left). 

17 hours ago, bkobow05 said:

We've got 9 of our top 10 picks signed so we have ~$4 Million to give Turang without losing a draft pick, $3.6 without any type of penalty (which is $600,000 over slot).

Updated the first post with some draft stuff:

• Pablo Garabitos (25) got $125k, so he doesn't count towards our pool.
  • Elijah Cabell is going to FSU, not LSU, and won't be signing.
  • Cipion's bonus is included in the math.

Here's the relevant part of the post:

1. Brice Turang | SS | 6'1" 165 | Santiago HS (CA) | $3,013,600 slot value | Unsigned
2. Joe Gray | OF | 6'1" 195 | Hattiesburg HS (MS) | $1,113,500 slot value | Signed for $1,113,500 (Slot)
CBB. Michah Bello | CF | 5'11 165 | Hilo HS (HI) | $824,900 slot value | Signed for $550,000 ($274,900 Underslot)
3. Forfeited to sign Lorenzo Cain
4. Aaron Ashby | LHP | 6'1" 170 | Crowder College (JC, MO) | $438,300 slot value | 
Signed for $520,000 ($81,700 Overslot)
5. Justin Jarvis | RHP | 6'2" 168 | Lake Norman HS (NC) | $327,100 slot value | Signed for $327,100 (Slot)
6. Drew Rasmussen | LHP | 6'1" 225 | Oregon State University (OR) | $251,700 slot value | Signed for $135,000 ($116,700 Underslot)
7. David Fry | C | 6'0" 195 | Northwestern State (LA) | $197,000 slot value | Signed for $10,000 ($187,000 Underslot)
8. Luis Gonzalez | RHP | 6'3" 175 | PJ Education School (HS, PR) | $161,400 slot value | Signed for $125,000 ($36,400 Underslot)
9. Arbert Cipion | CF | 6'2", 186 | Passaic County Technical Insitutute (NJ, HS) | $146,200 slot value | Signed for $138,200 ($8,000 Underslot)
10. JT Hintzen | RHP | 6'0" 185 | Florida Southern College (FL) | $138,200 slot value | Signed for $10,000 ($128,200 Underslot)

2018 Total Pool: $6,611,900 (24th of 30)
105% (Minus $1) of 2018 Total Pool: $6,942,494
Current Spending: $2,928,800 out of $3,598,300 ($669,500 Underslot)
Remaining Pool Money Before Financial Penalties: $3,683,100 (provided Turang signs)
Remaining Pool Money Before Loss of Future Draft Pick: $4,013,694

Including $125k for Daniel Davis, we've got $4.128M to sign him and Turang. If we can get Davis for $750k, then we've got a shot. If he holds out for $1M and all we can offer Turang is slot, then we're in trouble.

Edited by ramssuperbowl99

On 6/27/2018 at 7:53 PM, bkobow05 said:

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/23919537/real-not-brewers-need-trade-jacob-degrom

They suggest Keston Hiura, Corbin Burnes, Freddy Peralta and Domingo Santana for Jacob deGrom and Asdrubal Cabrera lmao. Yeah, **** ESPN.

BSPN basically ignores the Brewers and crows about the Yankees and Cubs 24/7.

9 hours ago, bkobow05 said:

96 win pace too. We could win 100 if we make a few changes.

We could upgrade a few spots on the roster pretty cheaply too. Starlin Castro would be a salary dump where we might even get prospects back and AJ Ellis wouldn't cost much.

Stearns came out yesterday with a bunch of comments. The highlights were if we get a SP, it's a front of the rotation guy and Jimmy Nelson is behind schedule (MarkCuban****.gif) but Stearns thinks he'll pitch this year for us.