Bitcoin

BayRaider

15 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

So I can’t have an opinion based on an 11 year history? I never said it was concrete proof or claiming it as factual evidence. There are Data Analysts doing that very thing though. 

No one said, "You can't have an opinion." I didn't report your post, nor did anyone else. Having an opinion doesn't mean you're exempt from criticism of the logic of said opinion.

I gave my opinion. I could easily ask you why crypto will not have an uproar in the next few years and see what your opinion on the matter is. 

You could. You didn't, but I'll respond anyway. My actual opinion is that don't know what it will do, because it's inherently speculative, with useful technology underlying it, but a get-rich-quick userbase that isn't interested in the underlying technology as anything more than a vehicle to a personal finance cheat code.

You're welcome to dispute any of that, since, you know, I posted this on a website with a quote feature.

Don’t appreciate the critique coming from someone who spits on crypto at every turn. People have made money on the endeavor and will again. 

Then respond intelligently. There are data analysts running projections on cryptocurrency futures? Great, we're all adults who aren't going to be scared of math. Let's see the data. What are the inputs, methods, results, and margins of error? You want to act like you're an expert, but someone presents a really obvious, easy critique that any real expect worth their salt would immediately be able to respond to thoroughly, and you play the victim instead of using that as an opportunity to show what you know.

We're 11 years into the largest bull market run in history. I have 11 years of data that suggests we'll never have a recession again. If I posted that in the stock investment thread, @theJ would say I'm a crazy person because 11 years is way too small a sample size. And he'd be right. His critique has nothing to do with his opinion on cryptocurrency, it has everything to do with the fact that an 11 year sample in nothing but a bull market isn't a complete dataset. 

Edited by ramssuperbowl99
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

No one said, "You can't have an opinion." I didn't report your post, nor did anyone else. Having an opinion doesn't mean you're exempt from criticism of the logic of said opinion.

You could. You didn't, but I'll respond anyway. My actual opinion is that don't know what it will do, because it's inherently speculative, with useful technology underlying it, but a get-rich-quick userbase that isn't interested in the underlying technology as anything more than a vehicle to a personal finance cheat code.

You're welcome to dispute any of that, since, you know, I posted this on a website with a quote feature.

Then respond intelligently. There are data analysts running projections on cryptocurrency futures? Great, we're all adults who aren't going to be scared of math. Let's see the data. What are the inputs, methods, results, and margins of error? You want to act like you're an expect, but someone presents a really obvious, easy critique that any real expect worth their salt would immediately be able to respond to thoroughly, and you play the victim instead of using that as an opportunity to show what you know.

We're 11 years into the largest bull market run in history. I have 11 years of data that suggests we'll never have a recession again. If I posted that in the stock investment thread, @theJ would say I'm a crazy person because 11 years is way too small a sample size. And he'd be right. His critique has nothing to do with his opinion on cryptocurrency, it has everything to do with the fact that an 11 year sample in nothing but a bull market isn't a complete dataset. 

Never hitting a recession again? Housing crash is coming either 2020 or 2021. Been waitin in the wings. There will always be a recession. Things will always go up and always go down. 

Edited by BayRaider

On 4/2/2019 at 3:57 PM, BayRaider said:

Never hitting a recession again? Housing crash is coming either 2020 or 2021. Been waitin in the wings. There will always be a recession. Things will always go up and always go down. 

...that wasn't his point. In fact, that's pretty much opposite his point.

• Like 1

On 4/3/2019 at 4:09 AM, theJ said:

I like to argue with anyone who claims a recession or a boom in a particular time frame with any authority.  No one has any clue.

There are some clues.

the yield curve is inverted: https://www.investopedia.com/terms/i/invertedyieldcurve.asp

Also my dividend returns have fallen by 1/3 from 2017 through 2018.

• Like 1

On 4/3/2019 at 6:09 AM, theJ said:

I like to argue with anyone who claims a recession or a boom in a particular time frame with any authority.  No one has any clue.

Even if you could know when that is going to happen, in order to make money you would need to know when to sell AND when to re-buy in, so you would need to know when the recession would start and when it would end.

You could find people predicting that the recession would have happened in November (since people have been predicting it for 5 years now), but I'd bet you couldn't find anyone who predicted that in November and had the market rebounding right away. You'd need both of that to make much money, considering we're within 2% of the all time high of the S&P 500 right now.

Of course, this has nothing to do with Bitcoin, except for the general point that no one here is the smartest guy in the room, and people who've made money getting lucky lose it by raising the stakes on the next venture because they think that luck is a legitimate skill.

On 4/04/2019 at 12:09 AM, theJ said:

I was promised a housing recession by an expert. I held onto my money and didnt invest in property which went onto go up by most in nz history, it probably cost me 200k. 

2 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

I was promised a housing recession by an expert. I held onto my money and didnt invest in property which went onto go up by most in nz history, it probably cost me 200k. 

Ouch. Painful lesson to learn. 

• Like 1

On 4/3/2019 at 7:09 AM, theJ said:

i mean... not really.  some people do.  theyre usually bond traders.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Between cannabis stocks and crypto I think it's pretty safe to say which was the far better play.

Also, anyone here who invested in crypto actually take out substantial amounts? I knew a guy who had 70k and was only able to take out fractions using the ATMs. That was the thing to me. You can sell a stock far easier if volume permits. How exactly were any big players cashing out?

But hey some made money I guess.

Put me on the train who think this will be the biggest joke of the 21st until the next one.