Training Camp/Pre-Season

Pastor Dillon

It’s almost that time for us to come back together! 

This is gonna be a strange season. I could easily see us winning 4 games. I could also see us being really good. 

It seems like we didn’t address any holes on the o-line or secondary but it’s always possible that guys who look lost in OTAs blow up during training camp. 

Our offense could be special, even if the line is just 20% better than last year. If we stay healthy we could have a major passing this coming season. Watson could throw for 5,000 yards if BOB will open it up and the line will protect him. 

The secondary could come together. Roby is in a contract year and could perform like honey badger last year. Jospeh could have 1 more year in him. Colvin could be healthy and live up to the guy he was in Jacksonville. Our rookies could be decent. Safety should be a solid 3 guy rotation if no one gets hurt. Our front 7 will be dominate, assuming we get Clowney to play this year. 

So we could be in for a great year or we could tank and hopefully clean house and start over. 

Either way I’m excited. 12-4 or 4-12 work for me. Nothing in between. 

We need to trade clowney. Seriously, we have so much cap space this year and next before we have to pay Watson, we should have given him a huge front loaded deal. Instead he’s sitting out training camp, probably playing on the tag and we are right back here next year. Meanwhile our cap money sits unused. 

Such a joke of an organization right now 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pastor Dillon said:

We need to trade clowney

I never like to wish injury on someone, but I hope a premium pass rusher in the NFC goes down in TC and we can flip Clowney for maximum value.

I held out hope we'd be able to keep him at a deal consistent with what Lawrence is getting, but this bridge is now burnt beyond recognition with this grievance the NFLPA is filing against the Texans. This DE vs LB discussion is pointless, and it's all over a measly $1.7mm - basically the change Cal finds in his pants. 

It's a mess, and it's basically ensuring that the Texans and Clowney won't come to a long term agreement. The blood is going to be bad between our five headed GM and Clowney's camp after this one. 

So, who is the premier pass rusher for the 2020 draft? With Clowney on his way out and Whitney Mercilius in a contract year, OLB is going to be THE major need this off-season - ahead of CB, if you can believe that.

Packers released DL Mike Daniels.

This is a stunning move as teams open training camp. Daniels turned 30 this offseason and was coming off a 2018 that saw him miss the final six games with a foot injury. But there had been no word he was in danger of losing his job. There was a report the Packers planned to scale back Daniels' snaps due to a better supporting cast, but he made the Pro Bowl in 2017 and was a major piece of this defense. The move saves Green Bay over $8.3 million in cap space, which was the likely driving force here. Daniels (6'/310) should have no problem finding a new team provided he's healthy.

Our "acting GM" needs to be making some calls to Daniels' agent.

17 hours ago, ET80 said:

I never like to wish injury on someone, but I hope a premium pass rusher in the NFC goes down in TC and we can flip Clowney for maximum value.

I held out hope we'd be able to keep him at a deal consistent with what Lawrence is getting, but this bridge is now burnt beyond recognition with this grievance the NFLPA is filing against the Texans. This DE vs LB discussion is pointless, and it's all over a measly $1.7mm - basically the change Cal finds in his pants. 

It's a mess, and it's basically ensuring that the Texans and Clowney won't come to a long term agreement. The blood is going to be bad between our five headed GM and Clowney's camp after this one. 

So, who is the premier pass rusher for the 2020 draft? With Clowney on his way out and Whitney Mercilius in a contract year, OLB is going to be THE major need this off-season - ahead of CB, if you can believe that.

From an outside perspective I dont think a player getting injured would create the opportunity to get max value for clowney. Unfortunately with his injury history, granted he has played majority of the last 3.5 seasons, there is still that risk of a team paying him 100 mil plus giving up premium draft picks. As a bills fan i wouldnt hesitate to give up a 1st rd pick for him but i am no gm. I think a package of Shaq Lawson, OT Waddle, Guards bodine/ducasse and a 2nd rd pick as well as a late rd pick, would be a decent package deal for the texans. Its not a long term solution and their price tags are fairly cheap but will help out this year and will also give the texans an opportunity to see what these guys can do for your team and if you want an extension you can always add to it during or after the season. Shaq Lawson is in no way on the same level as Clowney but he has stepped up big time for the bills over the last year when it comes to defending the run. He still struggles on qb pressures and sacks which I am sure is something that you would want in return. He also has served in both 3-4 defenses under Rex Ryan who drafted him and 4-3 with McDermott. 

Again if I was gm I would give up bills 2020 1st rd pick and maybe a player I mentioned above but nothing more based on asking price financially and his injury history. Anything more then that I would say no thanks as the bills can maintain the defense they have and wait until next offseason to land him, yannick or someone in the draft to play opposite to hughes.

The only other 4 teams that may need a pass rusher, willing to put the money in to him with the available cap space now, and are pushing for a playoff berth that is not in the same division as the texans are the eagles, patriots, Jets and Seahawks. Seahawks let Clarke go because they didnt want to pay him so i do not believe they would trade for clowney. Same with Patriots with Flowers. Eagles are in cap hell next year so they would need to cut some key players they have to clear the space to pay clowney. Leaving the Jets,  and Bills as realistic options unless a team that is either not financially there or is not ready to compete for a playoff spot emerges. 

my brain is telling me "trust the front office" despite knowing full well theres absolutely no reason to do so right now

Trying to think of some things to look forward to, even if we were to have a garbage year: Hop balling out, Watson making plays, maybe we get to see Donta break out this year, maybe some progression in the OL?, Watt and Clowney making plays... I think Clowney might be fantastic this year, he was really aggressive at the end of last season

trying to be positive

43 minutes ago, tab said:

Trying to think of some things to look forward to, even if we were to have a garbage year: Hop balling out, Watson making plays, maybe we get to see Donta break out this year, maybe some progression in the OL?, Watt and Clowney making plays... I think Clowney might be fantastic this year, he was really aggressive at the end of last season

If a few of these happen, I'm pretty sure we're going to settle back into that 9-7 range - which at this point, is a pyrrhic victory at best. Sure, it's over .500, but it's probably not good enough to land a WC in a very deep AFC. 

I'm at the point to where we either need to prove everyone wrong and go 13-3, or we need to implode to 3-13. Either establish dominance or clean house, IMO.

18 hours ago, soflbillsfan said:

Again if I was gm I would give up bills 2020 1st rd pick and maybe a player I mentioned above but nothing more based on asking price financially and his injury history

I would take that in a single heartbeat, to be honest. A 2020 1st and Lawson or Waddle? Yeah, that's an easy take for me - I might add in a 4th round pick with Clowney to solidify this deal.

It's not that I don't want or like Clowney - it's moreso due to this relationship being strained to the point of no recovery.

Clowney is really, really good and still hasn't hit his full potential when it comes to rushing the passer, so I really don't want to see him leave and would love for the Texans to spend the money (which they have plenty of!) to lock him up. It's very frustrating because this offseason was the time to sign Clowney and have a massive cap hit to take on the majority of his deal for the next couple of years before they have to back up the brinks truck for Deshaun.

Alas I don't see that happening and now I'm just hoping they don't let him walk for free, a la Mario Williams, when it comes time to part ways.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Texansfan713 said:

i wish i was excited about the upcoming season like you all are.

You could just ignore the NFL, you know. I wasn't excited for the Rockets, so I didn't watch a single Rockets game last season. Didn't make a difference to me, actually enjoyed NOT watching them.

Nobody is putting a gun to your head and making you watch the Texans - stick to CFB and the Astros if you're this turned off by them.

Edit: Specifically with you... It seems like every 5th post you have in here is "I'm done with this team" or some variation of that. If you're done with this team...then be done with this team. No need to prolong it for another season.