Training Camp/Pre-Season

Pastor Dillon

On 8/12/2019 at 7:18 PM, amazingandre said:

I hate OB. 

Why the hell trade Clowney at this point. Tag him again and then trade him next year. Stupid *** front office. 

I'm certain that BOB is going to trade Clowney for a 4th round pick. Maybe some roster fodder that would end up as a #4 CB, or a swing T that they're going to talk up as a potential starter... But yeah, we're gonna move Clowney for pennies on the dollar, much like how we traded an excessive amount for Duke Johnson.

There's no question that this is the most disasterous off-season in Texans history. This overtakes the defensive exodus in 2005, this overtakes Gary Kubiak saying no to Peyton Manning, this overtakes pretty much every single draft/FA bust made by Rick Smith - this is an absolute failure of an off-season, and that lies at the feet of Bill O'Brien.

He'd have to go 13-3 and win the SB for me to change my tune at this time. He's the worst thing to ever happen to this franchise.

12 hours ago, lumberjackchris said:

Why? We have zero talent at the T’s. While I’m not a proponent for Dev, he inherited a ton of talent that has since been dismantled. Brandon Brooks, Ben Jones, and Duane all have been sent packing. Then we finally invest come top draft capital back in it this past draft. 

We have added so many people and drafted a lot of guys who just haven’t developed at all. The line keeps getting worse. He’s obviously not able to develop linemen or even get them to play at their peak. 

im 100% certain that if we trade Clowney, we're going to get smoked by every RB we play this year. It just feels like a big mistake.

edit: if it wasnt for Watson/Hop and fantasy football in general, i dont think i'd be watching this year

Edited by tab
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, tab said:

im 100% certain that if we trade Clowney, we're going to get smoked by every RB we play this year. It just feels like a big mistake.

edit: if it wasnt for Watson/Hop and fantasy football in general, i dont think i'd be watching this year

Agree on this - Watt will put up his numbers, but our defense will probably be in the mid to low 20s in terms of rankings. I don't expect Berdnardrick McKinney or Zach Cunningham to fill up that void Clowney leaves on run defense.

This just feels too rushed. It's almost like they're doing something just to do something - if it's getting picks to make a sweetheart deal for Trent Williams, I MIGHT change my tune... but not really.

• Like 1

So, Roderick Johnson has been getting snaps at LT and looks "consistent". Which is a lot better than whatever Matt Kalil was doing.

Johnson is a reclamation project from Cleveland, former FSU guy, 2x All ACC. There is some potential to be decent - not necessarily good, but serviceable for 16 games. 

Not getting my hopes up, but not exactly choking on this option.

Davenport and Rankin were our young future bookends last year and they might both get cut this year. 

Davenport is gone. No way he’s on the roster. Mancz/Sharping probably have two back up spots locked in. That means Kelemete/Johnson/Davenport/Rankin are fighting for 1 maybe 2 spots. 

I thought Buddy Howell looked really good yesterday. What do you guys think? Any chance of stealing Higdon/Crockett's spot? I mean, he has some power to him, which is literally the only compliment I've hear BOB give the two rookie UDFAs. Ran well at FAU but was relegated to a smaller role when Devin Singletary emerged. 2nd-year guy.

13 minutes ago, HoboRocket said:

I thought Buddy Howell looked really good yesterday. What do you guys think? Any chance of stealing Higdon/Crockett's spot? I mean, he has some power to him, which is literally the only compliment I've hear BOB give the two rookie UDFAs. Ran well at FAU but was relegated to a smaller role when Devin Singletary emerged. 2nd-year guy.

I think Howell is a priority PS add, with a possibility to make the squad because he's a ST guy. At the most, I can see him beating Taiwan Jones for the #4 RB spot.

Miller/Johnson/Higdon/Howell, with Crockett and Ferguson both on the PS and Jones cut - that's how I'm scoring it right now.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ET80 said:

I think Howell is a priority PS add, with a possibility to make the squad because he's a ST guy. At the most, I can see him beating Taiwan Jones for the #4 RB spot.

Miller/Johnson/Higdon/Howell, with Crockett and Ferguson both on the PS and Jones cut - that's how I'm scoring it right now.

I think we keep 6 WRs and only 3 RBs with Howell being the 3rd and Gillaspia being a RB/FB who plays special teams and can play some 3rd down back.  

• Like 1