Top Defensive Triplets in the NFL

HoboRocket

Who do you think are the top defensive Triplets in the NFL?

Bucky Brooks recently published an article on this. You can find it here. According to the article, 

"In football, the "Big Three" concept can be applied to both sides of the ball. Offensive triplets, which garner the vast majority of ink and interest, consist of a quarterback, running back and pass catcher. Meanwhile, defensive triplets feature a combination of three standouts from multiple levels of the unit, whether it be a pass rusher, linebacker and defensive back, or a couple of pass rushers and a designated playmaker in the back seven. The top teams have a set of triplets on each side of the ball with the capacity to dominate the game."

He goes on to list his top five triplets: the Chargers (Bosa, Ingram, Derwin James), the Cowboys (DLaw, Jaylon Smith, Leighton Vander Esch), the Bears (Akiem Hicks, Mack, and Goldman), the Rams (Donald, Dante Fowler [?!], and Peters/Weddle), and the Broncos (Miller, Chubb, and Harris Jr). He lists a whole bunch of honorable mention trios.

There's a problem, though. He missed one. The best one, in my opinion: The Arizona Cardinals' trio of EDGE Chandler Jones, LB Jordan Hicks, and CB Patrick Peterson.

Nobody has more sacks than Chandler Jones since 2016, his first season with the Cardinals. In that span, he's averaged 14 sacks and 19 tackles for a loss per season. That's REALLY good. That also comes with little help from the rest of the Cardinals' pass rush. He's also showed dominant ability in both the 4-3 and 3-4 as the team has switched schemes in his time as a Cardinal.

I don't really need to say much about Patrick Peterson. He's the consensus best cornerback in football and a first-ballot hall of famer. 

Jordan Hicks is a very talented athlete right in his prime as one of the best coverage linebackers in football. He's been one of the best players on Philadelphia's defense as an intelligent, rangy middle linebacker.

I'm a Rams fan, but I would rate the Cardinals' defensive trio over any combo of three defenders on our team at the moment. I think that's a great combination of top-10 players at each position.

Who do you think are the best defensive Triplets in the league?

EDIT: Okay, so let's restructure this. Similar to how an offensive triplet has to be a QB, RB, and WR, for defensive triplets you must do one DL/EDGE, one LB, and one DB. All three levels of the defense.

Edited by HoboRocket
Changing the rules

I’d probably make it a toss up with the Bears (Mack, Jackson, and Hicks/Roquan) and the Jaguars (Ramsey, Jack, Telvin/Campbell). 

Some other HMs: Falcons (Jones, Jarrett, Trufant), 49ers (Sherman, Ford, Buckner), Texans (Watt, Clowney, Reid), and Vikings (Hunter, Barr, and Smith).

I mean, if you're just taking the top three defensive players on any team with a good defense, they'll all be good.  For the Titans, you could do Jurrell Casey, Kevin Byard, and Jayon Brown.  The first two are top five in their position and the last was at least top 10 last year.  I'm not saying that's the best triplet set, but there's gonna be a pretty fine line there.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

Pass Rush: Khalil Mack
Linebacker: Roquan Smith
Defensive Back: Eddie Jackson

that'd be my vote.

The problem with trying to make a Bears triplets is there are just too many damn good players on D to pick 3.  You cant leave Mack, Hicks, or Jackson off.  Roquan is an emerging star, Fuller is doing his thing, and Eddie Goldman is quietly becoming one of the most dominant 2 gap defenders in the league.

5 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

The problem with trying to make a Bears triplets is there are just too many damn good players on D to pick 3.  You cant leave Mack, Hicks, or Jackson off.  Roquan is an emerging star, Fuller is doing his thing, and Eddie Goldman is quietly becoming one of the most dominant 2 gap defenders in the league.

I'm fine leaving Eddie Goldman and Fuller off the list. I could see an argument for Hicks making the list, but Mack is still an EDGE player (DL). And he's way better than Hicks despite him being a beast in his own right.

16 hours ago, Daniel said:

I mean, if you're just taking the top three defensive players on any team with a good defense, they'll all be good.  .

Hm....

Maybe if I adjusted the rules so that everyone is talking about a player at all three levels of the defense, rather than just picking the three best players?

DL, LB, DB

Edited by HoboRocket
  • Like 1

In this version, for the Rams, what would qualify would be Aaron Donald, Clay Matthews (he's likely going to be an ILB for us), and Eric Weddle. Or Aaron Donald, Corey Littleton, and John Johnson III.

Note: wouldn't John Johnson III's literal name be John Johnsonsonsonson?

• Like 2