Training Camp Notes & Observations

jsthomp2007

Here we are again.  Another season with you fools...has it been more than a decade now?  I think it has.  I think we have been together since the Jake Plummer years.  At some point, some kind of party has to happen where we watch the Broncos and kill our livers together.  

Nonetheless, my favorite story of the year I hope turns into the Alexandar Johnson saga.  I hope for what this young man has gone through that with Todd Davis out, that Alexander takes the opportunity to develop at the ILB where might have projected as a first-round draft pick at.  

https://www.denverbroncos.com/news/with-todd-davis-to-miss-time-hc-vic-fangio-outlines-plan-at-linebacker

• Like 3

Fangio has decided to get rid of music during practice. 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001036306/article/vic-fangio-bans-music-at-broncos-training-camp

If it allows him to have more efficient practices and coaching, great.

Is music such an important thing to have at camp? I can understand if some players feel they work better with music on but it shouldn't feel like such a big thing. 

Todd Davis calf strain is a big flag.  While it’s labelled as not an Achilles tear, more severe calf strains usually mean  the Achilles starting to wear out and just isn't seen yet on MRI - it’s a repetitive stress injury and it’s due to wear and tear combined with poor blood supply.  

The fact he’s out 3-4 weeks means it’s a grade 2 calf strain, not a minor one.  That’s much more indicative of a higher risk of re-injury / future Achilles injury.   Something to watch for.  

Davis is a pure 2-down thumper who shouldn’t be out there in pass coverage anyways but this highlights even more the need to get their future ILB’s in order.   Jewell is developing at a good pace to be a decent ILB but he won’t profile as a pass coverage star just potential to be average to slightly above-average in pass coverage  - which is way better than what we’ve put out there the last 2-3 years at ILB.   It will be interesting to see if Hollins at his height can play ILB - he’s got the quickness but besides strength getting low enough and being able to shed blockers and see the play as ILB is a whole new ball game in the meat grinder position.  

In Fangio’s D an alpha ILB is a key Davis was never going to be the guy just a stopgap - so finding that guy for 2020+  is the next priority along with replacing the DB’s (which are easier to find fit-wise in Fangio’s zone scheme but the cupboard is bare if the rookies / Yiadom don’t pan out above 50 percent) after CHJ leaves.  

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Broncofan said:

Todd Davis calf strain is a big flag.  While it’s labelled as not an Achilles year, more severe calf strains usually mean  the Achilles starting to wear out and just isn't seen yet on MRI - it’s a repetitive stress injury and it’s due to wear and tear combined with poor blood supply.  

The fact he’s out 3-4 weeks means it’s a grade 2 calf strain, not a minor one.  That’s much more indicative of a higher risk of re-injury / future Achilles injury.   Something to watch for.  

Davis is a pure 2-down thumper who shouldn’t be out there in pass coverage anyways but this highlights even more the need to get their future ILB’s in order.   Jewell is developing at a good pace to be a decent ILB but he won’t profile as a pass coverage star just potential to be average to slightly above-average in pass coverage  - which is way better than what we’ve put out there the last 2-3 years at ILB.   It will be interesting to see if Hollins at his height can play ILB - he’s got the quickness but besides strength getting low enough and being able to shed blockers and see the play as ILB is a whole new ball game in the meat grinder position.  

In Fangio’s D an alpha ILB is a key Davis was never going to be the guy just a stopgap - so finding that guy for 2020+  is the next priority along with replacing the DB’s (which are easier to find fit-wise in Fangio’s zone scheme but the cupboard is bare if the rookies / Yiadom don’t pan out above 50 percent) after CHJ leaves.  

Paddy Fisher at LBer for 2020. Start the campaign. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, jsthomp2007 said:

Here we are again.  Another season with you fools...has it been more than a decade now?  I think it has.  I think we have been together since the Jake Plummer years.  At some point, some kind of party has to happen where we watch the Broncos and kill our livers together.  

Nonetheless, my favorite story of the year I hope turns into the Alexandar Johnson saga.  I hope for what this young man has gone through that with Todd Davis out, that Alexander takes the opportunity to develop at the ILB where might have projected as a first-round draft pick at.  

https://www.denverbroncos.com/news/with-todd-davis-to-miss-time-hc-vic-fangio-outlines-plan-at-linebacker

I'm kinda with you bud. Interesting that AJ was the first man up when Davis went down. 

I read he was step for step with Muhammad on a TD pass. Pass complete, but Muhammad is the fastest guy on the roster and one of the fastest in the NFL. Pretty impressive for a 253 lb guy to run with him.

1 hour ago, AKRNA said:

I'm kinda with you bud. Interesting that AJ was the first man up when Davis went down. 

I read he was step for step with Muhammad on a TD pass. Pass complete, but Muhammad is the fastest guy on the roster and one of the fastest in the NFL. Pretty impressive for a 253 lb guy to run with him.

Johnson is definitely talented it’ll be interesting to see how he develops after so many years away from football.

The ILB position in general is one of the most interesting positions to watch this offseason.  Fangio has always had/developed pro bowl caliber players at the position.  Davis/Jewell are steady, but not spectacular.  Justin Hollins (along with Johnson) is the other interesting name.  He’s already getting 1st team reps as the nickel LB, but doesn’t have a lot of experience there.  Also a big ILB at 6’5” 250 and ran a 4.50 40, for comparison those are pretty much identical numbers to Noah Fant, who we took in the 1st round and who is considered an elite athlete at TE.

1 hour ago, germ-x said:

Johnson is definitely talented it’ll be interesting to see how he develops after so many years away from football.

The ILB position in general is one of the most interesting positions to watch this offseason.  Fangio has always had/developed pro bowl caliber players at the position.  Davis/Jewell are steady, but not spectacular.  Justin Hollins (along with Johnson) is the other interesting name.  He’s already getting 1st team reps as the nickel LB, but doesn’t have a lot of experience there.  Also a big ILB at 6’5” 250 and ran a 4.50 40, for comparison those are pretty much identical numbers to Noah Fant, who we took in the 1st round and who is considered an elite athlete at TE.

Haha...would it be odd to have Hollis and Johnson out there at ILB...certainly wouldn't offer up good passing lanes in the middle.

Wouldn't it be fun to just roll Von, Hollis, Johnson, and Chubb out there at the same time just to see what happens?

Edited by jsthomp2007

Coach Scangarello singled out Elijah Wilkinson for praise after practice yesterday. I actually liked him in limited time when he was at RG last year but I believe he's been practising at LT with our 2nd team (feel free to correct me on this).

If that is the case, how long is Bolles' leash going to be? 

4 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

Coach Scangarello singled out Elijah Wilkinson for praise after practice yesterday. I actually liked him in limited time when he was at RG last year but I believe he's been practising at LT with our 2nd team (feel free to correct me on this).

If that is the case, how long is Bolles' leash going to be? 

I think the issue is that Wilkinson is likely our swing T so he needs to learn LT.   I’ve been as harsh a critic on Bolles as anyone but I think he’d swing to RT and James try LT before Wilkinson got the nod outright over Bolles this year.   But it would be great either way if Wilkinson worked out to be a future T replacement when Bolles 2nd contract came up or James is on his next contract in his 30’s.   Or the inevitable injury.  Plus we need depth desperately and cheap depth.   The cap dictates we find cheap replacements.   

Given McGovern is the C and Leary’s risk I hope someone cheap is opening eyes at G/C.   Whether it’s Sam Jones or Don Barclay or whoever we need a depth guy badly inside as well.   The reality is for most teams if you don’t have 6-7 decent OL sooner or later that gets exposed with the inevitable injuries (just like you need 4-5 decent DL and 3+ decent ILB).   That’s the main reason other than QB/WR development we are still at least a year away if not longer - our trenches are better but woefully thin-depth wise.    Munchak’s ability to fix the OL side and cheaply would be a huge boon to the org’s growth.  

Edited by Broncofan