Training Camp Notes & Observations

jsthomp2007

5 hours ago, AKRNA said:

If the depth chart is any indication it's probably Carters only chance to make the team. I don't think he's PS eligible.

Yeah I think ILB is his only avenue at this stage, esp if DEN is committed to the Cravens experiment (and given his tools, understandable).

FWIW, I think he has PS eligibility - they've changed the rules to allow 4 players with 2+ years experience to be on the PS - he'd have to clear waivers first, of course.

https://www.hogshaven.com/2018/9/1/17807094/how-it-works-nfl-practice-squad-rules-eligibility-salary-and-more-redskins

5 hours ago, Broncofan said:

Yeah I think ILB is his only avenue at this stage, esp if DEN is committed to the Cravens experiment (and given his tools, understandable).

FWIW, I think he has PS eligibility - they've changed the rules to allow 4 players with 2+ years experience to be on the PS - he'd have to clear waivers first, of course.

https://www.hogshaven.com/2018/9/1/17807094/how-it-works-nfl-practice-squad-rules-eligibility-salary-and-more-redskins

I think one of the qualifications for PS is how many games the guy has been in. He had an entire season not only on the 53 but on the game day roster. I think that disqualifies him.

Kinda unfair if you think about it. His value drops considerably if you have to sign him to your 53.

4 hours ago, AKRNA said:

I think one of the qualifications for PS is how many games the guy has been in. He had an entire season not only on the 53 but on the game day roster. I think that disqualifies him.

Kinda unfair if you think about it. His value drops considerably if you have to sign him to your 53.

The NFL changed the PS rule in 2016 to allow 4 players to have up to 2 years of 53-man roster experience.   For the rest the max allowed is 1 season once more than 6 games on the 53-man roster.    Before 2016 only 2 players were allowed the 2-year eligibility rule.   Now they also included a 3rd year for the 4 guys if the team never dropped below 53 players on the active roster (which all teams do).  

This link outlines it even more specifically with a link to the CBA change as well - https://www.cincyjungle.com/2018/9/1/17808772/nfl-practice-squad-2018-eligibility-pay-rules-changing-teams-what-to-know

Carter is still PS eligible - but with the caveat he’d have to clear waivers and be one of the 4 “vets” the team wants to spend that spot on.   Obviously much clearer path if he makes the team as an ILB.  Given the likelihood of re-injury for Joe Jones and the lack of progress with Alexander Johnson (and the fact he’s really profiles as a 2-down thumper), it would be crucial for DEN to find someone who can take off with the pass coverage role.  

It really seems like Hollins is returning to the EDGE role with Holland cut.  Malik Reed seems like a shoo in for the squad now as another EDGE with Hollins but less clear where Aaron Wallace fits in (Wallace making the team could allow DEN to keep Hollins at ILB).   Wallace’s play the next 3 weeks becomes one of the really interesting stories now (Dineen at ILB as well but he seems PS bound given his UDFA status, unless his play really picks up).   Having 2 EDGE/ILB’s on the PS seems a lock if we have to carry Riddick, Janovich and Jones on the 53-man roster.  I think 1 if not 2 of them will go to IR with return eligibility - but you need to be active on the 53-man roster to be IR-return eligible (old archaic stupid rule  but it is what it is).  

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, jsthomp2007 said:

Seems like a veteran ILB is needed.  I'd say make a trade for Trevethan, because he knows the Fangio system.  Or, are the Broncos going to see who gets cut in a few weeks?  

No trades especially for a guy not in the long term plans at that position. 

• Like 1

You have to consider Special Teams value for these backups too. That is where they are going to contributing from the 1st week of the season, so it's all well and good discussing how good they are on Defense/Offense but the fact is, their ST contribution is going to be what separates most of these backups.

Analysing ST without all 22 is so difficult. It's so annoying that Gamepass doesn't have all 22 for preseason.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, lomaxgrUK said:

You have to consider Special Teams value for these backups too. That is where they are going to contributing from the 1st week of the season, so it's all well and good discussing how good they are on Defense/Offense but the fact is, their ST contribution is going to be what separates most of these backups.

Analysing ST without all 22 is so difficult. It's so annoying that Gamepass doesn't have all 22 for preseason.

Excellent point.   It’s why I would have been surprised had Booker been cut not just because of Riddick’s injury risk but the fact Theo’s never been a ST guy (moot point now but it holds when Riddick returns).   The 3rd & 4th RB’s are usually ST contributors.  

Same goes for the 5th WR and 4rh-5th CB and 4th ILB, especially with the new return 2018 rules that places a huge premium on speed / chase ability.   If you aren’t getting a ton of snaps in your primary role, then being a ST standout is how guys make their bones.  

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, jsthomp2007 said:

Why do you hate Trevethan so much?  He is the only good over LB the Broncos have had since Ian Gold. 

And it's not like he's ancient. He's 29. We could potentially get 3-4 good years out of him before any real drop-off. I always said we kept the wrong linebacker when we extended Marshal over him. And he would be a def upgrade over our current ILB situation.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 1234567 said:

And it's not like he's ancient. He's 29. We could potentially get 3-4 good years out of him before any real drop-off. I always said we kept the wrong linebacker when we extended Marshal over him. And he would be a def upgrade over our current ILB situation.

I've always thought that if Von wouldn't have gone so crazy in the SB Danny might have been MVP. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, 1234567 said:

I have nothing but respect for Trevathan but he’s not a fit for 3 reasons: 

1.  DEN has 2M of cap space.  It would be an awful move to restructure deals to take on 5.8M in salary on a team who is not a realistic contender.  

2.  He’s a UFA next year.  And he’s already shown the $ matters (and frankly don’t blame him - this next contract is his last big payday).   Trading for a 1-year stopgap is an awful idea given our org trajectory for  contention. 

3.  Most importantly CHI is going for it now as a legit contender.   Those teams don’t deal starters in TC.  

Next offseason the discussion on bringing in a 30 year old ILB at FA market prices can be had, assuming he doesn’t re-sign with the Bears.   But a trade scenario is a pipe dream.   

Edited by Broncofan

4 hours ago, Broncofan said:

I have nothing but respect for Trevathan but he’s not a fit for 3 reasons: 

1.  DEN has 2M of cap space.  It would be an awful move to restructure deals to take on 5.8M in salary on a team who is not a realistic contender.  

2.  He’s a UFA next year.  And he’s already shown the $ matters (and frankly don’t blame him - this next contract is his last big payday).   Trading for a 1-year stopgap is an awful idea given our org trajectory for  contention. 

3.  Most importantly CHI is going for it now as a legit contender.   Those teams don’t deal starters in TC.  

Next offseason the discussion on bringing in a 30 year old ILB at FA market prices can be had, assuming he doesn’t re-sign with the Bears.   But a trade scenario is a pipe dream.   

You dream of pipes?  That's odd. 

Two things I took away from this past week, both pretty interesting.

One is that CHJ has been working alot with Hollins with different coverages highlighting TE's.  Seems in quite a few packages Hollins is working with the 1's. If he's the athletic freak you guys have been telling me he is thats an exciting proposition. Pretty amazing combine numbers for a 6'5" 250lb LB plus he can play a bit if his last season at Oregon is any indication.

Second is that Schlottman is working his way up the depth chart and is now listed as G/C instead of OL. He's been filling in for Leary at RG this week, ahead of Barclay. At TCU he played both G/C well. Great technician coming out of school, just needed to develop NFL strength. It'd be great if he has.

Anyway, I can't watch the game Monday but would appreciate some feedback on these two.

Hollins did not have a good game in any way shape or form but he's a rookie, so I mean, those things will happen. He looked a bit lost and slow last night.

Schlottman I didn't notice much, but he definitely got rag-dolled on one pass play in particular, but clearly he's shown a lot if he's moving up the chart.