Training Camp Notes & Observations

jsthomp2007

4 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

I will say this, going young is the right way to approach 2020+.   And as much as Elway wants to say he's not giving up on 2019 - they shouldn't go all in to try and get to a 8-8 record, or a microscopic chance to contend.    Lock or another QB is likely our future, so investing anything in 2019 at the expense of our youth is a mistake.   

I absolutely hated the Watson trade the moment it happened, and made no secret of it.  600K and a draft spot drop wasted.   Small change - but a pure waste of $ now.  At least Elway didn't compound it by creating an opportunity cost waste as well.  I'll give him credit there for limiting his mistake on this one.

I also hated the trade, but this is not limiting a mistake. It's just making another mistake that ensues they get absolutely nothing out of the move. Watson was playing well and would have been a positive contributor on this team.  I think it's crazy to think Elway deserves credit for getting rid of a positive contributor just because it was a bad move to get him in the first place. 

Edited by BroncoBruin

4 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

Is Leary a Lock to make the 53 still? I don't think he has much if anything left.

If he can't play, he can't play but it's not like they can save much if they do. We all know Wilkinson's going to be the RG most of the season, so I'm fine with whatever happens. 

30 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

Kerr was a 330 pounder who couldn't hold the POA. Purcell will directly replace him and do a better job. The Watson move makes no sense to me. We're horrible on special teams and the only EDGE depth is composed of rookies, one of whom also plays another position. 

I'm sure finances are playing a heavy part in all decisions now. We have about a million bucks of space left, not much wiggle room.

4 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

I also hated the trade, but this is not limiting a mistake. It's just making another mistake that ensues they get absolutely nothing out of the move. Watson was playing well and would have been a positive contributor on this team.  I think it's crazy to think Elway deserves credit for getting rid of a positive contributor just because it was a bad move to get him in the first place. 

Well I am admittedly a future-guy.  I would much rather give the opportunity cost to another player.   Most of them won't work out, but you draw enough lottery tickets, even if 2-3 of them hit, our roster construction for 2020+ goes a long way forward.  You get guys like Dekoda Watson and Theo Riddick, you have a 0 percent chance with those spots.  That's all.

I understand your perspective, but it's all rooted in 2019.  You know me, when I think the season's lost, I'd rather build for the future.

7 hours ago, thebestever6 said:

I'd love to see denver land Jordan Mailata. Munchak could do wonders.

Isn't he nailed on for a roster spot in Philly? I follow a ton of Aussie journalists because I watch NRL (Rugby League), but they've been raving about his performances in the preseason.

1 hour ago, lomaxgrUK said:

Isn't he nailed on for a roster spot in Philly? I follow a ton of Aussie journalists because I watch NRL (Rugby League), but they've been raving about his performances in the preseason.

No he's not nailed to one they have a ton of depth along the offensive line. I think he gets shipped out for some type of compensation. 

Edited by thebestever6

Just a case of bad luck with injury but I think we can see the writing on the wall here - if it wasn’t for our pitiful depth there Jake Butt would have zero shot at making the 53-man roster.   Dude just can’t get the lower body healthy post 2nd ACL.   This far out it’s usually all she wrote.   Ugly.  

12 hours ago, Broncofan said:

Just a case of bad luck with injury but I think we can see the writing on the wall here - if it wasn’t for our pitiful depth there Jake Butt would have zero shot at making the 53-man roster.   Dude just can’t get the lower body healthy post 2nd ACL.   This far out it’s usually all she wrote.   Ugly.  

Poor Jake. He was really playing some good football before his ACL tear last season as an all around TE.

He's surely destined for IR, and has maybe played his last ever game of Football.

1 hour ago, lomaxgrUK said:

Poor Jake. He was really playing some good football before his ACL tear last season as an all around TE.

He's surely destined for IR, and has maybe played his last ever game of Football.

The tough business part of the game - Butt doesn’t have any protections now as a 5th round pick.   We can cut him and save the min wage $ (so 560K of the 710k he’s due in year 3). .   No need for IR.   And if we stash him on the PS unless he gets 6 games on the 53 man roster (or IR) it does NOT count as the 3rd year of service time. 

And the brutal part - you need 3 years of service time to qualify for a pension and medical coverage for 10 years post career end.  If we cut him he may never get that 3rd year.   The stand up thing would be to IR him.  But the business side given we are  tight against the cap matters.  

It’s just another example of how the current CBA is so player unfriendly.   And why a player who goes for the $ in FA or plays hardball in negotiations should never be slammed for exercising their only outs to leverage teams - because unless you are in the select level of fully guaranteed $, the contract lifespan is so short & risk of losing it all before getting the payday is sky high. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, champ11 said:

Broncos should have hung onto that TE that signed with the Pats, TBH. 

I'm sure they were trying to negotiate with both Heuerman and LaCosse.LaCosse signed literally a day before Heuerman.

He signed a heck of a lot cheaper too. It's understandable when you factor in his chance to start, and him going to an immediate contender. I highly doubt he gives us the same type of discount given the state of the team and offense.