Training Camp Notes & Observations

jsthomp2007

3 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

In a perfect world they would have liked to keep Barrett I'm sure. Ray was horrible. He, Marshall and Stewart were the worst players on the defense last year and unsurprisingly, it looks like none of them will make an initial 53. 

Yeah we all could see Barrett still had juice and was at his peak still.   But he wanted to start and rightfully so.  No way we could retain him.  

Edited by Broncofan

10 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

Those two are mildly surprising. 

For Barkley I think the writing was on the wall when Schlottman started at RG with the 1's against the Rams, then Wilkinson played RG yesterday. 

I'd imagine Cravens stock took a bit of a hit when we picked up Dawson.

8 hours ago, AKRNA said:

I'd imagine Cravens stock took a bit of a hit when we picked up Dawson.

There's so many factors that go into it Dawson could be a special teams contributor as well. I'm not gonna call Cravens soft because that's the wrong word I think he handled his career like a professional here well worth the minimal risk to aquire him.

What happened in Washington just was unfortunate for him with the injuries and his trauma of whatever he went through. I don't think he ever got the physical or mental toughness back that his position requires, or to make a significant impact on special teams which is also a requirement.

Edited by thebestever6

36 minutes ago, paul-mac said:

Would you guys take Brandon Marshall back for the veteran minimum? He seems to want to come back. 

I’d pass for anything but the vet min - and only signed before week 2.   Because if he’s done - anyone signed before week 1 gets a guaranteed min wage deal for the entire year - but after week 1 games are played, unless the contract stipulates otherwise,  there is literally no guaranteed $ except week to week.  It’s the cold business side of the CBA but a lot of vets will be unemployed week 1.   Then get the week to week salary with a week 2 signing.  

The key other benefit is that it doesn’t result in a 53-man roster cut.   Going with youth as our 2020 core shouldn’t change.  The extra IR guys who need to be put on the 53-man roster to be IR-return eligible will create the roster fit and the week 2 signing saves the guaranteed $.  

If B-Marsh can find a better deal so be it.   Not making the Raiders ILB top 4 after watching his play regress last 2 years is a huge red flag.  Not worth anything to spend even a nickel more than week to week $.  And if Fangio passes given the different scheme no problem at all.  

Edited by Broncofan

On the other hand if he falls past the 9 teams ahead of us on the WW - Malik Jefferson is absolutely worth a claim.  3 cheap years is worth a flier claim given the near min wage cost control.   Doubt we get him though hard to think the 9 teams below us will all pass.  Only takes 1...

Cuts that include bubble guys today:  

Sam Jones

George Aston 

Khalfani Muhammed  

(David Williams yesterday)  

Devontae Jackson

Keyshawn Bierria 

Jamal Carter 

Alijah Holder 

Jones & Muhammed  were apparently told DEN would like to stash them on PS if they clear waivers.  Carter too.   

Aston getting waived means Janovich must be missing only a couple of games.  Calculated risk but can see the reasoning given Lock likely gets carried on roster with no IR to give him as much scout team work in practice as possible and the injuries to Riddick / Jones / etc. (carrying Riddick such a mistake IMO but that’s clearly where Elway seems headed with the RB cuts).

Edited by Broncofan

So Hogan gets cut - word is Elway looking at another vet, Lock to be saved as IR would prevent practice reps for 8 weeks, and Rypien to the PS.  

Apparently Brian Hoyer is the main target as he was released today.  The established mediocre vet as backup cycle continues.  😳

Edited by Broncofan

And it’s official - Rypien cut.   Would be shocked if anyone claimed him.  His 136k guarantee covers exactly 16 weeks on the PS.   

Seems like Rypien is PS - bound.  Carter & Muhammad are other prime PS candidates already ID’d by Klis.  

Sounds like Butt is going to IR-return as the goal so he will make the 53-man roster with Riddick / Janovich / Jones.   If Butt us bring penciled in for IR-return man the Riddick choice looks even iffier.   Just release him (but doubtful with Muhammad cut).