Training Camp Notes & Observations

jsthomp2007

At 53 whenever Corey Nelson signs. Three spots open with the IR guys, one obviously for a veteran QB.  

Interesting that Joseph Jones won't be IR'd. I expected his recovery time to be the longest. Would be great if he can come back in a matter of weeks. 

Edited by BroncoBruin

2 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

At 53 whenever Corey Nelson signs. Three spots open with the IR guys, one obviously for a veteran QB.  

Interesting that Joseph Jones won't be IR'd. I expected his recovery time to be the longest. Would be great if he can come back in a matter of weeks. 

Probably says a lot about how bad our ST's are without he and Jano.

Just now, AKRNA said:

Probably says a lot about how bad our ST's are without he and Jano.

Corey Nelson as a STs fill-in for Jones makes a lot of sense. You're right that those two injuries have had a pretty crippling trickle down effect on the rest of the coverage units. 

2 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

Probably need a backup qb before a backup ilb bug guy

3 hours ago, jsthomp2007 said:

Jake Butt going to IR means they can get both their backup QB & still bring in Corey Nelson. 

The WW run is tomorrow 10 AM hoping we put a claim in on Malik Jefferson.   Likely someone ahead of us puts in a claim but never know...

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, jsthomp2007 said:

I think @Broncofan mentioned that if we sign a guy before the first game we have to pay him all year. If we sign Rypien to the practice squad it  Wouldn't surprise me if we wait until after the Raiders game to sign a longer term vet.

Not much risk involved and we don't get saddled with a guy we've got to pay all year.

• Like 1

Well, this should just about complete this topic. Camps over, cuts to 53 are made. For any who may not have the info, here's the roster and a recap from Mason.

Outside of a few key positions we've assembled quite a "kiddy corp". Should be fun to watch. 

https://www.denverbroncos.com/team/players-roster/

https://www.denverbroncos.com/news/breaking-down-the-broncos-initial-53-man-roster-x2915

8 hours ago, Broncofan said:

The WW run is tomorrow 10 AM hoping we put a claim in on Malik Jefferson.   Likely someone ahead of us puts in a claim but never know...

Does Jachai Polite interest you at all? Since he's a rookie drafted in the third maybe he could learn a new position or give scheme versatility. 

Well Elway didn’t stand pat - 4 guys got claimed on waivers.  And to be clear - IR Guys can’t be used to clear extra space for waiver claim players - they can be used to bring back players who’ve cleared waivers completely.  

Apparently the dominoes are already falling...

Hoyer actually is likely staying with NE as they can retain him with their own IR candidates.  So it’s Brandon Allen for now as the established vet backup. 

4 other comments right away: 

-Delighted Muhammad made it to the PS as I’ve said I’d much rather see what he can do over a stopgap year of Riddick esp with Booker done after his rookie deal is up this year.  

-Hope Josh Watson can stick on the PS.  Corey Nelson isn’t quite as bad as Riddick but it’s more a 1-year deal so I’m pretty meh on that.  If Watson can be stashed on PS at least we can see if he can develop into anything.  

-Corey Levin at C/G is a name to track.  Muchak would have had input on who to target so clearly he thinks he can coach Levin up.   Given our C situation definitely  worth watching. 

-I’ve seen Spencer succeed in the CFL.  He’s an upgrade on Cracraft skill wise.  The Q with CFL skill guys is how they handle press coverage and tighter windows / heavier contact.   

Edited by Broncofan