Training Camp Notes & Observations

jsthomp2007

Whats the best option to fully rebuild can we get a consensus on that? Here are some good starting points

-The draft always seems to be the first priority so aquiring assets like Miami is doing now and Cleveland in the past has executed finally seems like a good idea.

- Not aquiring/retaining older low ceiling vets with no upside so the young ones can thrive organically.

- Having a strong coach in it for the long haul while also changing the culture instantly so the foundation of the team is strong over the long haul.

- Having a strong stable ownership who is patient but not complacent. 

All I see of the listed are a lot of Challenges and contradictions. This organization has a seasoned gm who doesn't wanna "do it forever," seems to be burned out already TBH. An older first time head coach who waited decades to get this opportunity. An ownership lag to be the cherry on top.

A full rebuild doesn't seem possible at this point until a realization happens what we've been doing hasn't been working lightbulb comes on organizationally.

Edited by thebestever6

Really like what Denver has going at DB.  Loved Dawson coming out of college, hope he turns into something.  I think he’s capable of being a good/versatile player in the slot and at safety.  I see him as a more athletic Will Parks.  Yiadom/Bausby had nice preseasons as well and gives Denver some size at CB.  

ILB is really my only concern and more so in their ability in coverage.  I think if Denver can manage that this defense could be really good barring any major injuries.  Chubb was reportedly fantastic in camp and showed it in games, he had an excellent rookie year and looks poised to take a bigger step in year 2.

Edited by germ-x

1 hour ago, germ-x said:

Really like what Denver has going at DB.  Loved Dawkins coming out of college, hope he turns into something.  I think he’s capable of being a good/versatile player in the slot and at safety.  I see him as a more athletic Will Parks.  Yiadom/Bausby had nice preseasons as well and gives Denver some size at CB.  

ILB is really my only concern and more so in their ability in coverage.  I think if Denver can manage that this defense could be really good barring any major injuries.  Chubb was reportedly fantastic in camp and showed it in games, he had an excellent rookie year and looks poised to take a bigger step in year 2.

I had to look for this Dawkins character. Assuming you meant Duke Dawson. 

55 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Wish him well - pretty telling that Munchak didn’t want to stash him as a PS guy.  

That was a head scratcher of a pick even at that stage, as were Bierria and Williams. There have been a lot of head scratchers in Elway's tenure, and how many have ever worked out? Gotsis might be the only one, and we weren't wrong about what a project he is. Bill Kollar has done great work with him. I guess Siemian gets the bump for carving out a role for himself in the NFL. I dunno, maybe we can't be GMs, but it feels like we're pretty decent at spotting the guys who clearly aren't NFL caliber and Elway has picked probably 15 of them. 

Btw, I see Bierria is back so they must think he's gonna be a special teams monster or they're not seeing what I've seen. Anyone want to make sense of the Watson for Bierria swap, a day after Watson made the 53? 

1 hour ago, BroncoBruin said:

That was a head scratcher of a pick even at that stage, as were Bierria and Williams. There have been a lot of head scratchers in Elway's tenure, and how many have ever worked out? Gotsis might be the only one, and we weren't wrong about what a project he is. Bill Kollar has done great work with him. I guess Siemian gets the bump for carving out a role for himself in the NFL. I dunno, maybe we can't be GMs, but it feels like we're pretty decent at spotting the guys who clearly aren't NFL caliber and Elway has picked probably 15 of them. 

Btw, I see Bierria is back so they must think he's gonna be a special teams monster or they're not seeing what I've seen. Anyone want to make sense of the Watson for Bierria swap, a day after Watson made the 53? 

It’s ST for sure.  Plus there’s a calculated gamble - if they can stash Watson for 11 games on the PS - he doesn’t accrue any service time.  So you can get 4 cheap years starting year 2.   It’s what Elway did with Paradis.   I’m going to hope that’s the reasoning because as an ILB I don’t see it either with Bierria.   Honestly while I love Elway’s changed approach his late round “safe” choices last year were very uninspired (I did like Hollins but not Winfree this year, and using a pick to get a 30 year old fringe ILB ugh). 

As much as I’ve banged the drum loudly for Elway to stop going all-tools no-skill guys on Day 2 - that’s because there are great-tools but also high-skill guys on Day 2.   So the risk isn’t worth it.   But at Rd5+ he has gone completely character / polish / effort late.  But that’s the time where you go high tools but raw.   If they were high skill / high tool guys barring big character issues they don’t fall to Rd 5-6-7.   Going after high-character guys late in drafts seldom works because lack of tools is a bigger obstacle to making the NFL (you just don’t need to go all tools & no skills early in drafts on Day 2 like Elway used to; esp in 2014-17).

I’m thrilled Elway has gone more skills on Day 2 & even Rd4.   But once you are deep in Day 3 the old swing for the fences with raw tools guys that Elway lived to do is actually the right way to go.   Because there aren’t high-tool high- skill guys left.    Once those guys are gone then I prefer the high tool guys over high character / low tool guys.  I hope Elway adjusts back for late Day 3 - his UDFA have done better this way in 2018 and even this year’s UDFA class (realizing it’s still way too soon to be close to certain) looks way better with that approach. 

Edited by Broncofan

59 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

Does the team get a chance to call a player up to the active roster before another team scoops them throughout the regular season?

Any time another team wants to claim a PS player - DEN has the right to call them up to their PS (and make a corresponding move to clear space).  And the poaching team has to be putting the PS player onto their 53 man squad.    So, yes, teams that have a player on their PS have the right of first refusal.    Smart rebuilders start looking to poach guys off good teams' PS late in the season, esp after the 11 game mark, because the service time doesn't accrue.      Of course, only good rosters get plucked, so we'll see if we attract any attention from other teams. 

The fact we turned over 7 new guys on the 53-man roster on cut-down day probably means other than EDGE, our roster isn't on anyone's radar...yet.

Edited by Broncofan

23 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

The fact we turned over 7 new guys on the 53-man roster on cut-down day probably means other than EDGE, our roster isn't on anyone's radar...yet.

So the Watson now that he made it to the practice squad makes a ton of sense why have him take the special teams punishment in first few weaks if he actually has potentially a future on this defense.

5 hours ago, Broncofan said:

And our IR moves are complete.  Lock out first 8 weeks from even practice - that’s going to slow his development.  Ugh.  

So this would assume Butt is missing another year, correct?  Not that he can’t make a come back, but it sucks seeing a guys career derailed by injuries they can’t control.  Factor in he tore his 2nd ACL in a college bowl game and you can’t blame these guys for sitting out these meaningless games.