Training Camp Notes & Observations

jsthomp2007

25 minutes ago, germ-x said:

So this would assume Butt is missing another year, correct?  Not that he can’t make a come back, but it sucks seeing a guys career derailed by injuries they can’t control.  Factor in he tore his 2nd ACL in a college bowl game and you can’t blame these guys for sitting out these meaningless games.

Well Lock, Butt and Riddick made the 53 man roster so they are all eligible for IR-return.   And you don’t have to designate ahead of time - but you can only recall 2 guys.  

Obviously we’d be nuts to leave Lock on all year on IR so 1 spot is his.  So it’s Butt or Riddick right now who could return.  Or another key guy who gets hurt with a long injury recovery time but that’s not season ending. 

Honestly we should just release Riddick with an injury settlement and call it a day.  Fail move by Elway to sign him in the first phase as a stopgap on a team that isn’t a realistic contender but this is just compounding the error IMO.   We can save bonus $ with a cut now.   Just do it already    

And yeah ppl who complain about college players sitting out bowl games need to check themselves.   I could see the criticism if it’s a BCS game but even then I get why players choose to sit (and if it’s not a BCS game just sit down & shut up already).   Butt likely cost himself millions with that move.  And as of now insurance has paid out 2 players.  That’s it.  So it’s not the cure all.   

Edited by Broncofan

24 minutes ago, germ-x said:

So this would assume Butt is missing another year, correct?  Not that he can’t make a come back, but it sucks seeing a guys career derailed by injuries they can’t control.  Factor in he tore his 2nd ACL in a college bowl game and you can’t blame these guys for sitting out these meaningless games.

Butts career is over in my estimation. They could be rostering him so he gets benefits and what not long term. It's nice having good will with players.

He seems perfect for an inline te but his body just couldn't hold up.

11 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

Butts career is over in my estimation. They could be rostering him so he gets benefits and what not long term. It's nice having good will with players.

He needs this year to accrue a pension and 10 years of medical coverage post retirement.   Obv he’s hoping the clean out procedure will fix things but that’s a long shot.  Either way I have zero problem if we IR him then part ways next offseason.  Would be a class move by the org.  

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, thebestever6 said:

I think it's over in Denver which is a shame. Another year of healing and rehab and I wouldn't be surprised to see him land on his feet somewhere else.

5 hours ago, AKRNA said:

I think it's over in Denver which is a shame. Another year of healing and rehab and I wouldn't be surprised to see him land on his feet somewhere else.

That's entirely possible he may land in another camp but he's going to get to a point where the rehab isn't worth the fruits it bears.

The facts are injury history will be factored in when trimming the roster down even if he knocks the rust off quicky and plays well which is hard given this cycle he's been in since his rookie year. If he still has joy for the game after what he's been through more power to him. I think he could be a coach somewhere if he still has that joy for the game.

Edited by thebestever6