Training Camp Notes & Observations

jsthomp2007

7 hours ago, jsthomp2007 said:

I heard Schlereth on First Take that Bolles doesn't have it between the ears.  He said he is a tremendous athlete but won't be in the long, because his head is all wrong.  From Schlereth to say that I am skeptical of Bolles at LT unless Munchack can work miracles. 

Thats always been the knock on him. The Bronco's certainly haven't helped in that respect. Our OL coach his first year was an idiot. Good OL coaches last year but a ridiculous offensive scheme, no QB and Max Garcia beside him. 

So, changes at OC, OL coaching, QB, and revolving doors on the OL in his first two years.

My hope is better coaching, better system, continuity and better personnel on the OL bounce him up a notch or two. Enough repetition and his slower than average comprehensiion ( is that PC enough?) shouldn't be a problem.

3 hours ago, AKRNA said:

So, this is what I'm talkin' about @lomaxgrUK. Chubb #82 on the NFL's best list. 

https://www.denverbroncos.com/news/bradley-chubb-voted-no-82-on-nfl-top-100-list

Thats exciting on a lot of levels.

If Bolles really is giving him a good battle just think what that will do for both sides of the LOS!

But is Bolles giving him a run for his money? I've heard nothing but defensive domination, including Bolles sacking Flacco himself at one point.

To be honest, I am just going off what I have seen on the field when it comes to Bolles. Regresses big time down the stretch every year. I think a lot of this is a) his inability to keep his weight and b) his technique failing him as the injuries creep in.

I wish I had your optimism for his future, but I don't.

56 minutes ago, Counselor said:

Any thoughts on how Winfree has looked? He has said to have been impressive. Although he sat out recently with a not too serious leg injury. Could we have found another diamond from Colorado with this pick?

All Coloradoans are diamonds. 

1 hour ago, Counselor said:

Any thoughts on how Winfree has looked? He has said to have been impressive. Although he sat out recently with a not too serious leg injury. Could we have found another diamond from Colorado with this pick?

We heard the same things about McKenzie etc. in OTA’s and early in TC before.   Partly because of what the early scrimmages focus on.  These 1 on 1 drills early on in camp and with 7 on 7 favor the receiver so much if neither guy is a special talent that it’s misleading.  I really need to see it vs. opposing D’s first. 

Edited by Broncofan

12 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

But is Bolles giving him a run for his money? I've heard nothing but defensive domination, including Bolles sacking Flacco himself at one point.

To be honest, I am just going off what I have seen on the field when it comes to Bolles. Regresses big time down the stretch every year. I think a lot of this is a) his inability to keep his weight and b) his technique failing him as the injuries creep in.

I wish I had your optimism for his future, but I don't.

You know me, totally optimistic until the first game or two when reality takes over. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Broncofan said:

We heard the same things about McKenzie etc. in OTA’s and early in TC before.   Partly because of what the early scrimmages focus on.  These 1 on 1 drills early on in camp and with 7 on 7 favor the receiver so much if neither guy is a special talent that it’s misleading.  I really need to see it vs. opposing D’s first. 

Of course. But Winfree actually has NFL size at least.

I don’t know that Bolles ever turns into the LT we hoped for when he was selected 20th overall.  However, he isn’t a bad OT, NFL average, which is actually pretty difficult to come by.  If Wilkinson is in fact better or close to as good as Bolles at LT, that’s a good situation for Denver as OL depth is always a terrific problem to have.

1 minute ago, germ-x said:

I don’t know that Bolles ever turns into the LT we hoped for when he was selected 20th overall.  However, he isn’t a bad OT, NFL average, which is actually pretty difficult to come by.  If Wilkinson is in fact better or close to as good as Bolles at LT, that’s a good situation for Denver as OL depth is always a terrific problem to have.

I wouldn't call being a mediocre pass blocker and leading the league in holding penalties average.

57 minutes ago, BullsandBroncos said:

I wouldn't call being a mediocre pass blocker and leading the league in holding penalties average.

He’s better than a mediocre pass blocker.  No doubt though he needs to cut back on the penalties, but even with them he graded out as an average OT according to PFF.

Anyway, here’s a good article on Bolles from PFF about a month ago.

https://www.pff.com/news/pro-lt-garett-bolles-late-season-improvement-should-give-broncos-reason-to-hope-in-2019

I think if you only watch Broncos games you aren’t able to grasp just how bad OTs in the NFL are.  Again, Bolles isn’t a grand slam, but you can have far worse, half the league does.

9 minutes ago, germ-x said:

He’s better than a mediocre pass blocker.  No doubt though he needs to cut back on the penalties, but even with them he graded out as an average OT according to PFF.

https://www.pff.com/news/pro-lt-garett-bolles-late-season-improvement-should-give-broncos-reason-to-hope-in-2019

I think if you only watch Broncos games you aren’t able to grasp just how bad OTs in the NFL are.  Again, Bolles isn’t a grand slam, but you can have far worse, half the league does.

PFF also has Trubisky as the 30th best QB in the league.

21 minutes ago, germ-x said:

Interesting article.