Training Camp Notes & Observations

jsthomp2007

1 hour ago, AKRNA said:

So far the media coverage sucks. If you're a "skill player" and you fart someone will write a column about it. As far as whats happening in the trenches it's like it doesn't exist. 

What we know is either McGovern or Jones or both can't snap the ball well, our DL is batting down balls and Risner pulled well the other day. Von's still Von, everybody and their brother has lined up at ILB, and somebodies on the field at each position on the OL and DL.

We really need someone from the forum to watch a practice and report back.

I get the total Opposite vibe especially listening to the koa coverage at camp yesterday.  It seems like no one wanted to hype any player up. Fangio and the coaching staff are acting like the line doesn't exist because there were 8 offensive penalties winfree made a nice play and than false starts.

Austin Fort I hear a lot about but until these guys do it in a game the coaching staff and the media aren't gonna over react. We'll find out soon.

And Elijah Wilkinson is in great shape and fits this scheme so he's gonna be an important piece, many say to replace Bolles at some point but I feel like James is nicked up a decent amount. Unless, they're just vet rest days.

Edited by thebestever6

51 minutes ago, jsthomp2007 said:

Theo Riddick would be a nice signing. I think it would mean Booker is gone.

Booker's pretty much min wage, and the only guy who knew our 3rd down O, and was kept as the most effective pass protector on the 2-minute drill.   No way we should re-sign him, but playing out his rookie deal would likely be the plan.  Given Riddick's injury history, I suspect looking to sign him would mean we're sticking with 4 "established" RB's at the top (Lindsay, Freeman, Booker & Riddick) and looking to stash guys like Jackson & Muhammad on the PS. 

Thinking of adding Riddick to the roster would seem to signal that the talk of Lindsay being used as a pass game weapon seems premature, though.  It's not that surprising, while he's clearly got the in-space ability, Lindsay's route running tree was very limited last year.   Given the focus on rehab from his wrist injury and managing his practice reps, this wouldn't be shocking to see that the coaching staff isn't quite there yet in pushing that very important 3rd down role on Lindsay's shoulders yet.

Still, knowing our cap situation (31st in the league in available cap space for 2019), I would be surprised if Riddick signs with us.   Teams like Tampa Bay need a 3rd down RB much more than we do, so unless Riddick has a major issue that won't pass physicals, he'll get interest and a better offer elsewhere.     It would also be a pure win-now move, so I'm not that enthused by the idea - at Riddick's stage in his career, he's not a long-term signing.   Really, we are better served letting the kids get as much PT as possible, so even if it "only" costs us 2.5-3M, easy pass for me - no need for a JC 2017 redux on a team where it's unlikely he makes a difference.   He's not even a good blocker, so TBH I'd rather see Devontae Jackson get a chance later in the season (PS activation after >10 games, where his service time doesn't toll).

Edited by Broncofan

So the first depth chart is out, no real surprises (and it's mostly a paper exercise), but important to note...

1.  First crack at PR auditions go to Cracraft.

2.  Hollins is listed at OLB, not ILB.

3.  Kareem Jackson at SS, not CB.   Gotta say if Jackson was paid to be a SS, meh.  If it's just a hybrid designation, no prob, but a pure SS, at age 30+, that's not a good allocation of resources...at all.

It's all just paper at this stage, though, so nothing to get too fussed about.   Just bears watching.

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Broncofan said:

So the first depth chart is out, no real surprises (and it's mostly a paper exercise), but important to note...

1.  First crack at PR auditions go to Cracraft.

2.  Hollins is listed at OLB, not ILB.

3.  Kareem Jackson at SS, not CB.   Gotta say if Jackson was paid to be a SS, meh.  If it's just a hybrid designation, no prob, but a pure SS, at age 30+, that's not a good allocation of resources...at all.

It's all just paper at this stage, though, so nothing to get too fussed about.   Just bears watching.

Kareem was paid to be a matchup piece. He'll play strong, free, nickel and outside. 

1 hour ago, BroncoBruin said:

Jake Brendel is worth keeping an eye on. Kuper got a good look at him in Miami and he played well when he got his chance last year. Four year starter at center (and 3x captain) in college. If McGovern can't clean up the snaps, he should not play. 

I'm not sure I can ever remember a training camp where botched snaps were an issue. Both backups, Brendel and Schlottman had solid college careers, and can get the ball to the QB.

McGovern's "bad snap" leash has to be really, really short! 

No real surprise but no Flacco in the HoF game.   Given it’s the extra game there isn’t really a call for the 1st team to be out there (and ATL likely doing the same after 1st series, if that).  

Edited by Broncofan

1 minute ago, Broncofan said:

No real surprise but no Flacco in the HoF game.   Given it’s the extra game there isn’t really a call for the 1st team to be out there (and ATL likely doing the same after 1st series, if that).  

Excited to see how Lock and Rypien look. Not so much for the Kevin “Elway doing a Stanford boy favors” Hogan

5 minutes ago, Counselor said:

Excited to see how Lock and Rypien look. Not so much for the Kevin “Elway doing a Stanford boy favors” Hogan

Let’s face it Elway likely isn’t letting a rookie be the backup.   But yeah he’s a pure placeholder until someone is ready to take over.    

It’s hard to get excited about spending any snaps on Hogan but it’s the reality with both Lock and Rypien being rooks.  

Edited by Broncofan

59 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Let’s face it Elway likely isn’t letting a rookie be the backup.   But yeah he’s a pure placeholder until someone is ready to take over.    

It’s hard to get excited about spending any snaps on Hogan but it’s the reality with both Lock and Rypien being rooks.  

that's insane to me. i'll never understand keeping 3 QBs. We're losing football games if Hogan is in there...might as well have it be Lock. Or just sign some scrub off the street rather than using a roster spot on Hogan

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, champ11 said:

that's insane to me. i'll never understand keeping 3 QBs. We're losing football games if Hogan is in there...might as well have it be Lock. Or just sign some scrub off the street rather than using a roster spot on Hogan

It's the first preseason game of the first year of Drew lock. The first depth Chart means zero to me. You look back to 2017 Chiefs had Patty Mahomes as the 3rd qb before having him move to number two on the depth chart. If Kevin Hogan makes the final 53 I'd be Shocked. 

The order on which they play Thursday means little to me. 

Edited by thebestever6