Training Camp Notes & Observations

jsthomp2007

Kevin Hogan is by no means a starting NFL QB, but I think he isn’t getting some credit he deserves, at least in relation to what is being talked about that Rypien brings.

Hogan carries the same intangibles as Rypien with more experience and more talent.  I like Rypien, but his physical talent is below average at best and it’s damn hard to make it in the NFL with that type of talent.  He has great intangibles and is reportedly a great person, that’s the only reason he’s even getting a shot.  This is literally the definition of Hogan, except Hogan has better physical talent + much more experience.  He’s also a better fit in Scangerello’s WCO.

I think Hogan makes this team.  I think he’s either the outright backup or emergency QB while Denver stashes Rypien on the PS where I’d be surprised if another team attempted sign him.

This is not to say that Rypien won’t make it, but I think, similar to Lock, this is a longer term projection.  

Edited by germ-x
  • Like 2

We’re going to training camp August 5th.  First time I’ve ever been.  Any tips from people who have gone?  Says it starts at 9:30, how early should we get there?

I’ll try and report back, but we are taking our 15 month old so we will see how long he lasts.

17 hours ago, germ-x said:

We’re going to training camp August 5th.  First time I’ve ever been.  Any tips from people who have gone?  Says it starts at 9:30, how early should we get there?

I’ll try and report back, but we are taking our 15 month old so we will see how long he lasts.

We’re going next week too, not sure what day, with our 5-month old.

From what I hear attendance at camp has been sparse, the team blames the weather but even The Fan is saying it’s probably a result of the team’s poor recent performance and little about which to be excited for this year. Still, I’d get there 30-45 minutes before gates open. Bring sunglasses and sun screen, you’ll be sitting on the side of a grass slope looking due east into the morning sun. 

Well we know things are looking grim for 2019 when MHR is calling the reports regarding the early returns from camp “manufactured negativity.” 

From what I’ve been hearing Scangarello looks lost and the OL looks like crap. WRs are dropping passes left and right and Fangio is a set-in-his ways grouch whose coaching like it’s 1986. Big shock to hear that Bolles still sucks. My beat reporter friend, someone you all know and I believe all respect, is thinking 8-8 is optimistic and could be well worse if we get hit by the injury bug. 

That said, I am pretty excited to see Drew Lock tonight. I know I am higher on him than most around here and, of course they’re going to start Hogan since our HC is “old school” (and I don’t mean that in a good way) and doesn’t want to start a rookie, but I am excited to see him in live action. 

10 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Well we know things are looking grim for 2019 when MHR is calling the reports regarding the early returns from camp “manufactured negativity.” 

From what I’ve been hearing Scangarello looks lost and the OL looks like crap. WRs are dropping passes left and right and Fangio is a set-in-his ways grouch whose coaching like it’s 1986. Big shock to hear that Bolles still sucks. My beat reporter friend, someone you all know and I believe all respect, is thinking 8-8 is optimistic and could be well worse if we get hit by the injury bug. 

That said, I am pretty excited to see Drew Lock tonight. I know I am higher on him than most around here and, of course they’re going to start Hogan since our HC is “old school” (and I don’t mean that in a good way) and doesn’t want to start a rookie, but I am excited to see him in live action. 

What do you project drew lock to be? 

I'm just worried if he doesn't show signs of improvement this pre season elway converts Flaccos contract to a signing bonus to extend other guys and insure he's around another year. 

18 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

I'd give him an outside chance of beating out Theo with his head start this offseason, but probably yeah.

What a whiff. And I thought it was a great pick. 

Yeah I think we all thought he was going to be real productive for us. Not a horrible outcome as a 4th round pick, but he was a huge disappointment as a runner. No talent there. Good enough to do some basic replacement level 3rd down RB duties and that's about it. 

40 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

What do you project drew lock to be? 

I'm just worried if he doesn't show signs of improvement this pre season elway converts Flaccos contract to a signing bonus to extend other guys and insure he's around another year. 

I think his potential is sky-high; he has all the tools in the world, loves the game, works hard, is a good teammate, responds to coaching well. I think he has the potential to be a long-term franchise QB who goes to multiple Pro Bowls. 

Will he? Too early to tell. That’s why I’m excited to see him in live action tonight. 

5 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

I think his potential is sky-high; he has all the tools in the world, loves the game, works hard, is a good teammate, responds to coaching well. I think he has the potential to be a long-term franchise QB who goes to multiple Pro Bowls. 

Will he? Too early to tell. That’s why I’m excited to see him in live action tonight. 

His ceiling is unquestionably high that's not what I worry about. I think he has all the talent in the world. 

What worries me is the first year OC part, first year old school defensive head coach, lack of talent for the offensive system .

So my mind flashes to Sanchez with Rex Ryan.

Jimmy Clausen with John Fox.

The mental toughness it will require to weather that storm. That's what I'm excited to watch.