I bet GB to win the SB, Here's why (Defensive version)

Rainmaker90

Just now, BlondeonBlonde said:

I'm not even going to read the rest of your post when you start it off like this. Why are you unable to engage in civil discourse? I lurk often and I notice this is a reoccurring issue with you. Even if you have a better understanding of the game than others, why must you be so arrogant? It's obnoxious. I bet you're super fun at parties. 

Because my mom made me watch Indian in the Cupboard instead of Aliens or Predator or Terminator 2 or even Jurassic Park during an epic thunderstorm when I was a kid. 

Also, I started off like that because it's a discussion I've had thousands of times before and it gets old for me to repeat the same things.  Defense has been, is and always will be the most important aspect in winning Super Bowls. 

Get over the lol and read the rest.  It was an lol, not a, "Yer an idiot."  If someone can't start their post with an LOL to suggest their extreme disdain for the opinion, well, then, I'm out of touch with this planet. 

In spite of my disbelief of Super Bowl chances, I'm surprised at how low the expectation is for the regular season.

If there's one thing I'm sure of heading into this season, it's that a healthy Packers team is easily winning the division. 

You don't add Smith, Smith, Gary, Savage, Amos, Turner, Jenkins to last year's roster and win only 5-6 more games. 

Anything less than 12 wins on the regular season will be seriously surprising to me. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

In spite of my disbelief of Super Bowl chances, I'm surprised at how low the expectation is for the regular season.

If there's one thing I'm sure of heading into this season, it's that a healthy Packers team is easily winning the division. 

You don't add Smith, Smith, Gary, Savage, Amos, Turner, Jenkins to last year's roster and win only 5-6 more games. 

Anything less than 12 wins on the regular season will be seriously surprising to me. 

I guess it depends which way Rodgers goes. If he buys-in and plays within ML's system, I could see 10+ wins. If all that we gain is a better running game and still have Rodgers playing backyard, low-efficiency football, I could see 7-9 being the case.    

2 hours ago, BlondeonBlonde said:

Agreed, I think they're probably a year away from really competing yet....9-7 or 10-6 should be considered very successful for 2019. 

Which very well could be the case. I do worry about a first year head coach ( I’ll make a post on that soon) I do believe the talent is here and my major worries are inexperience coaching wise and cohesion on the field. 

3 hours ago, BlondeonBlonde said:

I'm not even going to read the rest of your post when you start it off like this. Why are you unable to engage in civil discourse? I lurk often and I notice this is a reoccurring issue with you. Even if you have a better understanding of the game than others, why must you be so arrogant? It's obnoxious. I bet you're super fun at parties. 

That is OP and on the board you need to support your argument. I will agree with him though the last number of years the best playing D's have been in the playoffs and move further along.  Defense wins championships in the NFL. Our last win we had a top 5 defense.

19 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

You actually had me thinking about this while driving in the car yesterday.....

I really want to say that a new coach, new system, 4 new free agents that will likely "start", and two first round draft picks will have tough sledding the first few weeks in the NFL until they "gel" and "find their way".  So my knee jerk reaction is no way do they get 12 wins.

Then....doubt crept into my thoughts.  Bears had a new coach last year.  New system.  New TE, WR, DE/OLB.  And they had a pretty big question mark under center (I'd say still do).

And?  They did alright for themselves.  Seemed like the new coach/scheme caught the NFL a little off-guard so they were able to overcome lack of playing time together in a system with the surprise element to football.

I don't know which thought is "right", or "wrong".  But I think you could be right in that the roster is that much better and we could turn it around quickly.  And that is a change from my earlier thought in that GB would get maybe 7 wins this year, but be competitive in most games and playing really good ball at the end of the year.

On 7/23/2019 at 1:37 PM, Outpost31 said:

Below are the defensive points per game allowed by all 52 Super Bowl winners in their post seasons. 

The average defensive points allowed over 52 years of Super Bowl history is 13.3 points per playoff game. 

right. that other team didnt have a good enough offense to score more points.

Offense matters.

26 minutes ago, Malfatron said:

right. that other team didnt have a good enough offense to score more points.

Offense matters.

I saw a guy do a write up once, not being wholly serious, but using all these stats that made it look absolutely like  ST was the key factor in every SB victory.

• Like 2