Nagy/Pace Press Conference

beardown3231

It was just held in Decatur. Notes:

Pace anticipates 3 players starting on PUP for a very short time: HHCD, Clemmings and Jonathan Harris

Nagy seems to still not care about the preseason (thankfully). When asked if he will treat it the same way he did last year he said yes without saying yes

Both complimented Hicks and Robinson to a high degree

Pace said that the 2 non-rookies who have stood out most are Floyd and Mike Davis

Nagy said Montgomery is itching to get the pads on

Burton and Miller won't have limitations but they will "be careful" with each of them

Pace doesn't see cap space as a major issue at the moment and said they've planned all of this years out 

Pace said Fry and Pineiro are 1a and 1b for the kicker job and said they'll continue to check the waiver wire for another option if need be

Nagy says they haven't missed a beat with Pagano

Nagy isn't concerned about the amount of primetime games. He said they've earned it and they ended up with a lot last year that will have prepared them for this

Edited by beardown3231
  • Like 4

Some Press Conferences Thoughts

1. Trey Burton and Anthony Miller not being on PUP is great news.  Both had surgeries, Burton later in the offseason, and it appears both have healed well. Big parts of the offense that should not have lingering issues.

2. HaHa on PUP does not concern me. If he is not going to practice for a few days it gives them options and Nagy has not done anything for us not to trust him on injuries.

3. All the Leonard Floyd talk is coming from somewhere and I think it is the legitimate belief that he is going to have a break out season. He was good last season, he wasn't good with the broken hand and then he was very good in the last 7 games. I think he is a slow developer. We have not seen any monumental leaps, but we have seen pretty continues growth in him. Now before someone starts giving me his sack numbers, please head over there and show yourself out.

4. Tyler Bray being PR eligible is a nice surprise. It is a super small thing, but it helps to have a veteran QB who works with the PR, scout team, and young players every day. I was a scout team OLmen for most of my CFL career, and the practices run very similarly. If you are a scout team player the most contact you have during non-individual drills is with a quality control coach who runs scout team. The coordinator, position coach, head coach rarely watch as they are busy debriefing the previous plays by the starters. You will run almost 0 reps of your teams current offense. When I played for WPG I ran about 5 plays of our offense a practice and 50-60 plays of the BCs or Torontos. By the end of one season I knew Saskatchewan's offense better than ours because we played them 5 times. You stand and watch the 1s, but it is not like anyone is there to explain something to you or point out a good thing or a bad thing. Having a guy like Bray is a huge asset to the down roster guys who are trying to become actual players. I look at a guy like Rashaad Coward and Javon Wims as a a couple of guys who probably benefited from Bray being around. This season guys like Dax Raymond, Emmanuel Hall, Kerrith Whyte, and Alex Bars will benefit from having him around.

It is a very little thing, but it has a impact on some guys who emerge from the scout team and PR to contribute.

5. I know I was not super high on David Montgomery, but between the teams apparent giddiness and the beat guys pretty unanimously saying he looked good, I am very intrigued by what he does this season.

6. Run these young kickers out for a couple of weeks and then break glass and sign Matt Bryant if it is ugly by week 3 of the preseason. But Pace is right, the best thing for the Bears is to find and develop a young kicker.

7. Do not care if some guys play 0 snaps in the preseason. Health is all that matters.

• Like 3

Teams don’t win Super Bowls in the preseason but they can definitely be lost. Unlike years in the not so distant past, the top 40 or so of our roster is completely set. Let’s ride the hell out of the other 50 guys in August to pare down who will he the last 13. When it was said that Montgomery should get a fair amount of carries in the preseason I took that to mean by comparison to the amount of reps other key pieces will get. I’d be shocked if he gets more than a few carries in PS week 1 or if he dresses at all in the finale. I’m fairly confident in saying that our preseason rushing leader will be either Kerrith Whyte or Ryan Nall. 

• Like 1

Can't say I disagree at all AZ.

For those 22 starting positions where there is little if any serious competition camp should be about perfecting their play within the schemes we'll be playing.

Twenty-two more will be engaged in some form of competition for their spots but as the winners rise to the top they should also join the starters working to perfect their game.

The other half should be the ones busting their butts in camp and during preseason for one of the remaining backup and ST roles left to be had or a shot at making the PS if they pass waivers.

They aren't only auditioning for a spot of the Bears they're auditioning for a spot on 31 other rosters or PS as well. Make that the competition and may the best win a role with the Bears.

IMHO that's how we can simultaneously build our best team and remain healthy at the same time.  Old school two-a-days, and grinders are a thing of the past. We don't need to risk top talent that way and especially not as much in preseason where some low level guy looking to hang on wants to play hero in front of his coaches by taking out one of our top talents and we know that happens frequently.

Preseason is a great opportunity to be looking at 40 other guys looking for 10-12 who may have a shot at becoming very good NFL players in another year or two replacing aging and pricey vets or those who came before them but didn't ascend enough to be kept around any longer.  We need to find those like Wims and Coward who dominated against that level of competition and became keepers.

Edited by soulman
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, WindyCity said:

1. Trey Burton and Anthony Miller not being on PUP is great news.  Both had surgeries, Burton later in the offseason, and it appears both have healed well. Big parts of the offense that should not have lingering issues.

Yes, agreed. 

2. HaHa on PUP does not concern me. If he is not going to practice for a few days it gives them options and Nagy has not done anything for us not to trust him on injuries.

It concerns me, but I am a worrier.  I think Bush can play well if he has to.  But I really want HHCD to be able to be healthy versus his old team week 1.  

3. All the Leonard Floyd talk is coming from somewhere and I think it is the legitimate belief that he is going to have a break out season. He was good last season, he wasn't good with the broken hand and then he was very good in the last 7 games. I think he is a slow developer. We have not seen any monumental leaps, but we have seen pretty continues growth in him. Now before someone starts giving me his sack numbers, please head over there and show yourself out.

I have been writing all these reasons why Bears D will not be worse without Fangio.  One reason I never cite is an improved Floyd.  If what coaches are saying isn't motivational talk for Floyd and actual truth than that is another reason to list.  

4. Tyler Bray being PR eligible is a nice surprise. It is a super small thing, but it helps to have a veteran QB who works with the PR, scout team, and young players every day. I was a scout team OLmen for most of my CFL career, and the practices run very similarly. If you are a scout team player the most contact you have during non-individual drills is with a quality control coach who runs scout team. The coordinator, position coach, head coach rarely watch as they are busy debriefing the previous plays by the starters. You will run almost 0 reps of your teams current offense. When I played for WPG I ran about 5 plays of our offense a practice and 50-60 plays of the BCs or Torontos. By the end of one season I knew Saskatchewan's offense better than ours because we played them 5 times. You stand and watch the 1s, but it is not like anyone is there to explain something to you or point out a good thing or a bad thing. Having a guy like Bray is a huge asset to the down roster guys who are trying to become actual players. I look at a guy like Rashaad Coward and Javon Wims as a a couple of guys who probably benefited from Bray being around. This season guys like Dax Raymond, Emmanuel Hall, Kerrith Whyte, and Alex Bars will benefit from having him around.

It is a very little thing, but it has a impact on some guys who emerge from the scout team and PR to contribute.

This is a great paragraph.  I think they also want Bray to develop into #2 QB to save some cap space next year.  

5. I know I was not super high on David Montgomery, but between the teams apparent giddiness and the beat guys pretty unanimously saying he looked good, I am very intrigued by what he does this season.

Me too.

6. Run these young kickers out for a couple of weeks and then break glass and sign Matt Bryant if it is ugly by week 3 of the preseason. But Pace is right, the best thing for the Bears is to find and develop a young kicker.

I don't want Bryant.  He is too old and a dome kicker.  I can see him kicking off to 10 yard line and us giving up field position on a lot of drives.  If it's me I ride Pinerio with the big leg unless he is really awful. .  

7. Do not care if some guys play 0 snaps in the preseason. Health is all that matters.

I don't care if all the starters play 0 snaps.  

16 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

I have been writing all these reasons why Bears D will not be worse without Fangio.  One reason I never cite is an improved Floyd.  If what coaches are saying isn't motivational talk for Floyd and actual truth than that is another reason to list.  

Not that motivation has ever been lacking for him because I don’t think it has, but Floyd has about ninety million reasons to be great this year. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AZBearsFan said:

Not that motivation has ever been lacking for him because I don’t think it has, but Floyd has about ninety million reasons to be great this year. 

He has had time to be great already so I will wait and see.

He had some really good games in second half of last season so there is reason to believe.  

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

He has had time to be great already so I will wait and see.

He had some really good games in second half of last season so there is reason to believe.  

I’ve said it before - if we get 2nd half Floyd all season across from Mack it’s gonna be a problem for other teams. He was really good in the 2nd half, not as an elite pass rusher but as an effective one who was also really good in non-pass rush roles. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, dll2000 said:

He is an all timer, but isn't he like 50?  His age is a big concern for me.  

So what? If the Bears signed him and he was great and they won the Super Bowl but he retired after the championship, they could employ you to be their kicker next season and I wouldn't give a s***

2 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

So what? If the Bears signed him and he was great and they won the Super Bowl but he retired after the championship, they could employ you to be their kicker next season and I wouldn't give a s***

I’m okay with Bears signing anyone and they are great. 

Will they be great is question. 

14 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Some meatheads in other forum, eh?