2019 Vikings Training Camp/Preseason

SemperFeist

4 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

DT could be an issue if Stephen can't fill in soon. Don't like Johnson much to have a significant role. Mike Daniels would be nice.

Zimmer said Stephen will be back soon.

Daniels would be competition or an upgrade in the nickel pass rush package. I don't think they'd start him ahead of Stephen in base. 

He's also coming off a foot injury and no guarantee to be full speed in camp / preseason.

4 minutes ago, Klomp said:

"They have to get their rear ends in gear." -Mike Zimmer on the rookie WRs

Yeah both could easily be cut, then again they are 7th round picks but I feel they missed on many more promising receivers even late in that 7th round.  

How about more of this instead, surgical route running.  Conklin might not even make the roster to be honest with the top three TEs being Rudolph, Morgan and Smith.  Could be a decent 4th TE but Irv Smith is going to make it hard for him to see time I think.  

• Like 1

Advanced issues found

6 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

How about more of this instead, surgical route running.  Conklin might not even make the roster to be honest with the top three TEs being Rudolph, Morgan and Smith.  Could be a decent 4th TE but Irv Smith is going to make it hard for him to see time I think.  

With how much we're likely going to use the TEs, I don't see us not keeping all four TEs.

I agree we could keep 4 TEs but with Smith now on the roster Conklin is not longer the athletic one, no way.  Smith is a burner at TE, sure Conklin has some jump ball potential but he better show it like he does here because outside of that Smith has him beat I feel, and clearly he is no great blocker either.  Would like to see development out of him for sure, I just do not think he will see the field much despite an injury from someone else.  I really liked Cole Hikutini out of Louisville in college, loved his route runner ability as a TE but he has to get more physical no doubt.  

23 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

Don't rookies generally start at the bottom of the depth chart?

Sure some do but there have been in mini camps, they have worked out the both of them and if Smith is not better than Conklin at this point that would be a surprise.  Will see how both look during the preseason but Smith's speed and big play ability should put him over Conklin I would think, but maybe not.