Sign in to follow this  
SemperFeist

2019 Vikings Training Camp/Preseason

11 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Sure some do but there have been in mini camps, they have worked out the both of them and if Smith is not better than Conklin at this point that would be a surprise.  Will see how both look during the preseason but Smith's speed and big play ability should put him over Conklin I would think, but maybe not.

I think it's still way too early in camp to judge.  I wouldn't be surprised to see Smith surpass him in the depth chart in the next week or 2. TEs are always going to be a little slower to develop just because they have so many more responsibilities than other positions (except for maybe the QB) on the offense.  

There are no other reports except that one tweet that Smith is behind Conklin. 

The indications I’ve seen are that they’re rotating the TEs quite a bit. Even Hikutini has had some run with the ones. 

The reports I’ve heard from Smith is that he’s been used in all kinds of formations and roles with the first string. They’re putting him in motion, splitting him out wide, lining him up in the slot, in the backfield, in a “sniffer” position. He even ran a jet sweep. 

I expect them to keep 4 TEs and at least one of the depth guys will be capable of playing the move TE role. Conklin reportedly has looked good, but so has Hikutini. I think at least one of them will make the team. 

2 hours ago, Krauser said:

There are no other reports except that one tweet that Smith is behind Conklin. 

The tweet was meant more to be tongue in cheek than anything. I just found it good timing for the discussion that was taking place. 

As for Conklin,

19 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Wow he looks a LONG ways off from being able to play.  Dang, what he will be out half the season if not more based on how he looks here.  

Posted (edited)

I think the team opens the regular season with only two QBs on the 53 man roster, with Browning on the PS. 

Edited by SemperFeist

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

Wow he looks a LONG ways off from being able to play.  Dang, what he will be out half the season if not more based on how he looks here.  

A 13 second clip says that he want be back for a few months?

6 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

6,000 calories per day. That's just mind-boggling. 

53 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

A 13 second clip says that he want be back for a few months?

To me in that video he was almost moving in slow motion which says the knee is not strong yet at all.  Seems pretty soft and moving gingerly and is not exploding quickly, just getting down the motion and putting a little force on it and not digging into the cuts or change of direction. The brace is off which is great but to go from that to playing full speed seems like a long ways off.  Hopefully he can play soon but based on that short clip what might be till what October maybe?   

45 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

To me in that video he was almost moving in slow motion which says the knee is not strong yet at all.  Seems pretty soft and moving gingerly and is not exploding quickly, just getting down the motion and putting a little force on it and not digging into the cuts or change of direction. The brace is off which is great but to go from that to playing full speed seems like a long ways off.  Hopefully he can play soon but based on that short clip what might be till what October maybe?   

I do agree that he's moving kind of slowly there without a whole lot of explosion, but that progress could accelerate.  We don't really know yet.  

A stat I heard recently that's crazy to think about.

When Kirk Cousins starts in Week 1, this will be the first time Mike Zimmer has entered a season with the same starting QB for two consecutive seasons.

1 hour ago, Klomp said:

A stat I heard recently that's crazy to think about.

When Kirk Cousins starts in Week 1, this will be the first time Mike Zimmer has entered a season with the same starting QB for two consecutive seasons.

...I’m just going to reach over here next to me and KNOCK ON WOOD