Update: Hold-Out Over! Thomas signs 5/100 61gtd

Raves

It's obvious this would happen but it looks like the talks aren't going well.  Thomas wants to be the highest paid WR, currently held by OBJ at 18/yr, which is pricy but Thomas is definitely top 5 WR in the NFL so whatever, and the Saints are apparently willing to give him 18/yr.  Unfortunately it seems Thomas wants to be the highest paid by a good 4 mil, asking for 22/yr, which is a bit extreme IMO.  I know I said it before the draft that I think that we probably should've traded Thomas for 2+ 1st round picks if we could get it, seems like it could become a domino effect with your players depending on how this progresses.

https://saintswire.usatoday.com/2019/07/22/saints-michael-thomas-contract-extension-news-talks-ongoing/

Update:

https://saintswire.usatoday.com/2019/07/25/michael-thomas-holding-out-until-saints-agree-to-contract-extension/

Thomas is now holding out until a contract extension is reached.  Saints are currently about 1 million a year difference in negotiations, will likely be done soon.

Final Update:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/saints-make-michael-thomas-the-highest-paid-wr-in-nfl-history-with-100-million-deal-per-reports/

Dome said 4/80, I said 5/100 with 60 guaranteed.  Pretty damn close.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Raves said:

I'm fine with giving him the 18/yr that OBJ is making, maybe even up to 20/yr, but I'm not sure about giving him 22/yr when you consider that Kamara and Lattimore are going to need paid soon as well.

Yeah 22 is too much.

Saints did say they are planning on making him the highest paid WR, according to reports  

Edited by Dome

Why would you be fine with giving him $20 million a year, but not $22 million?  Dude is one of the best receivers in the league.  He's only 26 and has a game built for the long haul.  According to a report I read, the Saints already offered him a deal worth $18-$19 million per year.  Thomas is seeking a contract that would make him the first WR ever to earn $20 million per year.  If $22 million is what gets it done, then I would give him that no problem.

2 hours ago, showtime said:

Why would you be fine with giving him $20 million a year, but not $22 million?  Dude is one of the best receivers in the league.  He's only 26 and has a game built for the long haul.  According to a report I read, the Saints already offered him a deal worth $18-$19 million per year.  Thomas is seeking a contract that would make him the first WR ever to earn $20 million per year.  If $22 million is what gets it done, then I would give him that no problem.

So that could mean that one of Lattimore or Kamara are gone because they can't pay them.  I mean the Cowboys are in a similar situation right now with having to pay Cooper, Zeke, and Dak not to mention just paying someone didn't they?  Who are they letting walk?

12 hours ago, showtime said:

Ultimately these are negotiations and you don't want to over pay unless you absolutely have to. We have quite a few young players to pay and every penny counts, especially if we end up trying to replace Brees with a decent veteran to try and stay competitive rather than drafting a rookie and taking a shot in the dark.

Our offense will definitely need more weapons when Brees is gone and it would be nice if we had some money left over just in case.

Thomas has reportedly lowered his price to just $20m. He doesn't have to have $22m

Saints have reportedly already offered him $19m

Bet they bump it up and this ends soon. 

Edited by Dome

4 year $8X,000,000 is what I'm guessing.

Would be cool to see a $100,000,000 WR contract though, but I don't see the Saints offering him 5 years at that rate unless there are easy outs in year 3 or 4.

11 minutes ago, Dome said:

4 year $8X,000,000 is what I'm guessing.

Would be cool to see a $100,000,000 WR contract though, but I don't see the Saints offering him 5 years at that rate unless there are easy outs in year 3 or 4.

5/100 60 guaranteed.  20/20/10/5/5 in guaranteed amounts so easy enough to cut in years 4 or 5 in need be, but he's only what 26, WRs like him and Fitzy are good till like 90 so it's not an issue.

• Like 1

Thomas is one of the best Wr's in the league, no doubt about it.  I just question how he will preform once Brees retires.  We all know that a WR's production is heavily based on his QB and Brees is a HOFer who looks his way often.

I can't imagine how bad his production/stats will suffer if Brees retires and you have a QB come n similar to Lamar Jackson.  

35 minutes ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

Thomas is one of the best Wr's in the league, no doubt about it.  I just question how he will preform once Brees retires.  We all know that a WR's production is heavily based on his QB and Brees is a HOFer who looks his way often.

I can't imagine how bad his production/stats will suffer if Brees retires and you have a QB come n similar to Lamar Jackson.  

Think of Thomas a lot like Larry Fitzgerald.  If the ball is within his catch radius, whether it's contested or not, he's more than likely coming away with it.  Thomas is the same way.  WRs like them aren't as reliant on the QB to be productive outside of putting the ball where they can get their hands on the ball, Brees just puts the ball in a position that it makes it easier for Thomas to break the attempted tackle to come and get extra YAC because of it.

• Like 1