Training Camp Thread

Ragnarok

It’s training camp time! I’d like to know...which young guys are you excited to watch?  Which guys on your favorite team are surprising or disappointing?  Who is stepping up and who isn’t?

A lot of the guys I want to see are SEC guys I liked coming out, guys the Packers drafted, or players I drafted n BDL.  The guys I can’t wait to see going into this training camp(including 2nd/3rd year guys I loved in their draft year that haven’t gotten their chance to shine)...

Rookies:

Quinnen Williams - I thought he was the best player in the draft and he will be a stud.
Nick Bosa - My top rated edge guy, I just want to compare him to his brother.
DK Metcalf - I feel like teams overthought him.  You can teach technique.  You can’t teach athletic ability like this. 
TJ Hockenson - I LOVED him.  So much.  I think he is an easy candidate to become an Ertz/Kelce/Kittle level player.
Devin White - If there was one guy I would have to bet my life on being an All-Pro before he retires, it’d be White. 
Rashan Gary - My Packers took him relatively high based on his production.  But he is so disgustingly athletic.  I got to watch him at the combine and he moves differently than almost anyone. 
Marquise Brown - He was my #1 WR in the draft.  I think he makes a massive impact on the Ravens offense this year.
Byron Murphy/Greedy Williams/Deandre Baker/Rock Ya-Sin - My top four CBs in this draft, all four are in the position to play real quick.  They all have their concerns, but it should be fun to see who separates.
Juan Thornhill - He was my top safety.  I think he has elite coverage skills and will be a stud FS for years. 
Darnell Savage - We need him to grow up quick and become a great tandem with Amos.
Irv Smith - As much as I hate to admit it, the Vikes got a steal with him.  I had him over Fant.
Trey Pipkins - The Chargers need help at OT, and if he grows up quick, he could start day 1.
John Cominsky - I got to see him live at the combine and he moves like an elite player.  He has a long way to go technically, but I am rooting for him.

2nd/3rd Years:

Derrius Guice - My 2nd ranked RB coming out last year, I can’t wait to see what he does when finally on the field.
Rashaan Gaulden - A VFL alum, he should start for Carolina and has the tackling and coverage skills to be a very good SS.
Josh Jackson - Jaire looks very good for us on one side, but we need a #2 CB.  Jackson has the ball skills to become that.
Jaire Alexander - I just mentioned him, but I want to see him become that unquestioned #1 shutdown guy.
Oren Burks - I loved him coming out of Vandy.  We need a speedy LB that can cover and he could give that as a former safety.
MVS - He really showed a lot last year as a rookie and I believe he was a large reason why the Packers didn’t take a WR in the draft.  I’m looking for him to become a legit #2 this year.
Kolton Miller - He got a lot of hate last year despite playing well when healthy.  IMO, he solidifies himself as a top ten LT this year if he can stay healthy.
Lorenzo Carter - He showed promise as a rookie, and if he applies technique to his athletic skills, he could largely solve the Giants edge rush problem.
Taven Bryan - I was a big fan of his last year, and with older guys out of the way, he could have a huge year in this defense.
Da’Shawn Hand - He was a stud for the Lions last year and I think he becomes a top tier defensive lineman.
Tremaine Edmunds - He got overshadowed last year, but he was as good as most LBs in the league and is still ridiculously young.  He’ll be an All-Pro.
Rashaan Evans - He had some issues in coverage, but was a monster against the run.  I think he makes a huge impact for the Titans this year.
D’Onta Foreman - I loved him a couple years ago, and hope he is recovered from his Achilles
Chris Godwin - Another guy I was a huge fan of, he should have a monster season.

1 hour ago, Ragnarok said:

Rashan Gary - My Packers took him relatively high based on his production.  But he is so disgustingly athletic.  I got to watch him at the combine and he moves differently than almost anyone. 

I'm assuming you meant production and meant potential.

2 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I'm assuming you meant production and meant potential.

I meant that he didn't have the production to warrant such a high selection, but did warrant such a high selection due to his crazy athletic potential.  

Eh, for training camp there's not much I want to hear about other than rookie QBs and my own team.  As for everyone else, I'll wait till the season starts.

That said, I do want to know how Kyler Murray is doing running things in AZ, whether Dan Jones is doing better than the corpse of Eli, and if Rosen is actually being an effective leader in Miami.

In Titans training camp, I want to know who's getting the start at RG, who's getting reps at WR (and where), and what the edge rotation looks like.  Then it's roster bubble stuff after that.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/23/2019 at 6:52 AM, tom cody said:

Some good talent out there for sure as rookies. I wonder if we see anyone surprise in camp and become a starter when they weren't expected to be one. 

Chauncey Gardner-Johnson (4th round) would be the candidate for the Saints. He could very easily work himself into our starting slot corner job. Patrick Robinson coming off an injury and inconsistent PJ Williams coming off another DUI

Edited by Dome
  • Like 1

On 7/23/2019 at 8:52 AM, tom cody said:

Some good talent out there for sure as rookies. I wonder if we see anyone surprise in camp and become a starter when they weren't expected to be one. 

Only one preseason game to go off of so hard to say, but I could see Dre'Mont Jones potentially starting a 3/4 DE ahead of Wolfe maybe.  Might not be right away but kid looked great in preseason and was obviously a steal for a 3rd round pick.  Great quickness and burst off the ball, only issues would be against the run maybe but if he can penetrate and disrupt like that consistently he will be very good.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

....andddd it's gone.

Missing a couple pointless games doesn’t really temper my excitement at all. His injury history was the only knock on him I had coming out. I hope that it’s just bad luck and he proves to be much more durable moving forward, but him proving to be a beast when he’s on the field proves what most of us already knew.

14 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

Best play to summarize what Mack Wilson has been doing.

Awesome moment for another rookie, Damon Sheehy-Guiseppi.

Great play by Wilson but that was more an awful throw by Haskins than a great INT by Wilson I would say.  Nice to see him doing well, be interesting if he can be consistent as a playmaker or not.

Brian Burns played very good and so did Haynes.  And nice to see Ian Bunting productive, kid is a massive TE and had more production in that one game than he had in three individual seasons in college.  Also surprising John Franklin III is a corner for Chicago, fine athlete that never worked out at QB or WR in the NFL.  See if he can fit as a corner.

James Washington looked ready to be a #2 or #3 WR for Pittsburgh and Devin Bush looks like a super star with that speed in that defense, they should be greatly improve just because of him in there.  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Great play by Wilson but that was more an awful throw by Haskins than a great INT by Wilson I would say.  Nice to see him doing well, be interesting if he can be consistent as a playmaker or not.

Brian Burns played very good and so did Haynes.  And nice to see Ian Bunting productive, kid is a massive TE and had more production in that one game than he had in three individual seasons in college.  Also surprising John Franklin III is a corner for Chicago, fine athlete that never worked out at QB or WR in the NFL.  See if he can fit as a corner.

James Washington looked ready to be a #2 or #3 WR for Pittsburgh and Devin Bush looks like a super star with that speed in that defense, they should be greatly improve just because of him in there.  

Similar deal at 8:50