On the eve of training camp, Washington releases ILB Mason Foster

Woz

I'm not against nor surprised by the move, but I'm completely confused by the timing. If you were going to do this, why not at the beginning of June (for cap purposes)? Why wait through OTAs? Why tell him literally two days before camp and probably the day before he drives (flies? don't know where he makes his home in the offseason) to Richmond? You could have just as easily cut him as part of the cut down to 53.

As for his play, he's not a bad player. His range is a bit lacking, but decent motor. Part of the reason he has been rumored to be on the chopping block was his interactions with the fanbase in December. https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2018/dec/14/mason-foster-regrets-comments-fan-blames-cousin/ 

I had forgotten about him blowing up at the front office the year before. That probably didn't help. https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/redskins/after-twitter-rant-mason-foster-met-bruce-allen-clear-air

33 minutes ago, Danger said:

Who else do they have at the position? 

Jon Bostic(signed in May 2019 (*)) and a bunch of young guys (Josh Harvey-Clemons (2017 7th), Shaun Dion Hamilton (2018 6th), Cole Holcomb (2019 5th)). Also have some other rookies (Jordan Brailford (2019 7th), BJ Blunt (2019 UDFA), Andrew Ankrah (2019 UDFA)) who played more outside LB/edge positions that I suppose they could try inside since they have kind of a logjam on the outside (Ryan Kerrigan, Montez Sweat, Ryan Anderson, Marquis Flowers, Marcus Smith, Cassanova McKinzy). [EDIT: Looking the late rookies over, Blunt seems to be the most likely to move inside. Brailford and Ankrah looked to always be hand down, while Blunt was all over the place.]

If Reuben Foster hadn't wrecked his knee in OTAs(*), this would make some sort of sense as Foster could easily have lost his starting gig. Even then, though, the timing would be odd. At this point in the season, roll with him going into camp as an injury hedge and then cut him as part of the final 53.

(*) Of course, if Foster hadn't wrecked his knee, Bostic likely wouldn't be on the roster so maybe Foster would still have space on the final 53?

Edited by Woz

18 hours ago, Broncofan said:

Someone probably thought when they IR’d Reuben Foster they thought it was Mason. O.o

Normally I’d be joking but with that medical staff’s record of late... 

And according to one of our best beat reporters, many in the front office thought he should've been cut months ago.  

Yet another player the Redskins get rid of who they don't communicate with.  

14 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

I know we need ILB help...might be worth an invite 

Is he worth a backup spot?  Sure.  But if he's starting, he's a strictly two down player, and teams will be scheming to get him in 1-on-1 coverage with their RB out of the backfield early and often.  He was a huge weakness on defense last year in that regard, it was painfully obvious to everyone.