DT (5) Joseph, Stephen, Johnson, Holmes, Watts
LB (6) Barr, Kendricks, Gedeon, Wilson, Brothers, Smith
CB (5) Rhodes, Waynes, Alexander, Hughes, Boyd
S (5) Smith, Harris, Kearse, Derron Smith, Epps

ST (3) Bailey, Wile, Cutting

PUP: Morgan
IR: Bower
SUSP: Holton Hill
PS notables: Mitchell, Dillon, Keenoy, Saint-Amour, Aruna, Mata’afa, Downs, James

End of the road for Sloter. Coaches have pointed out his mental mistakes and he made two big ones in the Bills game (misreading coverage on the INT and failing to react to an obvious blitz on the sack-fumble that was overruled to an incompletion). Keep 2 QBs.

Keep both FBs: Ham has his spot locked down but Blasingame has been too good to let go, better than the TE depth. He can chip in as a RB too, and he he plays special teams. Boone beats out Abdullah and they have 5 RBs/FBs, same between the 2 positions as last year.

Zylstra was good this preseason and deserves to stick. Treadwell was OK but I think the team’s done with him, he gets released.

I like Dillon more than Hikutini but he can go to the PS. 

I feel better about the IOL depth after watching Samia the last couple of games. He’s going to be good. Jones and Hill seem like locks. I think they keep one or the other of Collins and Dozier for LT/LG depth. If Collins is healthy and the coaches like him better, maybe it’s him. Dozier was decent but it’s no big loss if they choose Collins instead. Udoh is very promising and has a high ceiling so I hope they keep him.

Jaleel Johnson wasn’t great this preseason but he made the team, didn’t play after the first quarter in Buffalo. Holmes was good again, he’s the nickel DT pass rusher. That leaves Mata’afa on the bubble, and I have to say he didn’t do much to impress the last couple of games: liability against the run, not getting home pass rushing against 3rd string guards. Watts looks more promising in both phases of the game.

Brothers was surprisingly good again. Smith played SLB next to him, I think they both make it. Downs probably only sticks if they keep 7.

Thomas or Boyd is CB4 and will rotate in at outside corner until Hughes gets back. Boyd was good in Buffalo, maybe it’s him. Higher ceiling than Thomas.

Derron Smith seems like the only backup to Harris as the deeper safety. Epps makes it, he’s been OK and he’s versatile.

Vedvik was a disaster, they can’t keep him. Bailey strangely got much better as soon as Vedvik showed up. Stick with Bailey and Wile — waste of a draft pick, but can’t double down on that mistake now.

All the draft picks make it through the 6th round, 3 of 4 from 7th (Boyd, Johnson, Cutting, but not Mitchell). Blasingame continues the tradition of a UDFA rookie making the team every year. 

Edited by Krauser
  • Like 1

I can’t say that’s necessarily what I’d do, but it looks about as close to what I think they’ll do as it gets. Barring, obviously, any surprise cuts, or additions from outside. Which, I do think they’ll nab another CB and/or WR from another team. 

Although, if they do cut Sloter and go with 2 QBs on the active roster, I think you’ll see Browning on the PS. Hard for me to believe that they’d only go with 2 QBs in practice. 

Also, while I think you’re right about the IDL, I hope they keep Mata’afa over Watts. Personally, I’d cut Johnson and keep Mata’afa and Watts, but it looks like Johnson is safe. I just don’t see the point in keeping four 1-techs, and whether he’s playing 3T or not, that’s what Stephen is. 

Edited by SemperFeist

QB (2): Cousins, Mannion

RB (5): Cook, Mattison, Boone, Ham, Blasingame

WR (5): Diggs, Thielen, Johnson, Beebe, Zylstra

TE (3): Rudolph, Smith, Conklin

OT (5): Reiff, O’Neill, Hill, Dozier, Udoh

IOL (5): Bradbury, Elflein, Kline, Jones, Samia

DE (4): Hunter, Griffen, Weatherly, Odenigbo

DT (5): Joseph, Stephen, Johnson, Holmes, Mata’afa

LB (5): Barr, Kendricks, Gedeon, Wilson, Smith

CB (6): Rhodes, Waynes, Alexander, James, Boyd, Hughes

S (5): Smith, Harris, Kearse, D Smith, Epps

ST (3): Bailey, Wile, Cutting

So, basically, the same as @Krauser, except for three differences on the defense. I have Mata’afa making it over Watts, and I think they keep 5 linebackers and six cornerbacks. 

5 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

Every if Zimmer doesn't, some team might think he'd make a decent #2. And wasn't there talk about teams being interested in him last year?

I think yesterday’s game probably cost Sloter any chance of being a team’s QB2. As @Krauser pointed out, yesterday’s game highlighted a few of the pre snap issues that Zimmer, and others, have alluded too regarding Sloter. I’d still put him in the QB3/developmental stage. 

1 hour ago, SemperFeist said:

I think yesterday’s game probably cost Sloter any chance of being a team’s QB2. As @Krauser pointed out, yesterday’s game highlighted a few of the pre snap issues that Zimmer, and others, have alluded too regarding Sloter. I’d still put him in the QB3/developmental stage. 

Gotcha. You think they challenged him a little more this week?